Oracle - Netware

This is a discussion on Oracle - Netware ; Hello all, Does anyone out there have any experience with Oracle 8i for NetWare? If so, perhaps you can help. I am trying to implement the Enterprise Management Server, and am having problems getting the Intelligent(?) Agent to run on ...

  1. Oracle

    Hello all,

    Does anyone out there have any experience with Oracle 8i for NetWare? If
    so, perhaps you can help. I am trying to implement the Enterprise
    Management Server, and am having problems getting the Intelligent(?)
    Agent to run on my NetWare server. It loads, but tells me that no
    listener exists. I can connect with SQL tools and with the Oracle
    database tools and a direct DB connection, so I know that the listener
    is functioning with TCP and SPX. SNMP.NLM is running, but the listener
    control utility indicates that SNMP is set to OFF. Of course, the Oracle
    documentation excludes any reference to Oracle for NetWare when it comes
    to installing the agent. Any help is much appreciated.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Oracle

    "GMC " wrote in comp.os.netware.connectivity:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > Does anyone out there have any experience with Oracle 8i for NetWare? If
    > so, perhaps you can help. I am trying to implement the Enterprise
    > Management Server, and am having problems getting the Intelligent(?)
    > Agent to run on my NetWare server. It loads, but tells me that no
    > listener exists. I can connect with SQL tools and with the Oracle
    > database tools and a direct DB connection, so I know that the listener
    > is functioning with TCP and SPX. SNMP.NLM is running, but the listener
    > control utility indicates that SNMP is set to OFF. Of course, the Oracle
    > documentation excludes any reference to Oracle for NetWare when it comes
    > to installing the agent. Any help is much appreciated.

    You must have an Oracle Listener configured correctly, or else you
    won't even be able to use tools like WebDB, etc. If other tools are able to
    successfully connect to Oracle 8i, then you do have a Listener running
    properly and the "Intelligent Agent" is likely not configured correctly to
    communicate with the Listener.

    Did you use EasyCfg.NCF to configure your Listeners?

  3. Re: Oracle

    Randolf Richardson wrote:
    > "GMC " wrote in comp.os.netware.connectivity:
    >

    >>Hello all,
    >>
    >>Does anyone out there have any experience with Oracle 8i for NetWare? If
    >>so, perhaps you can help. I am trying to implement the Enterprise
    >>Management Server, and am having problems getting the Intelligent(?)
    >>Agent to run on my NetWare server. It loads, but tells me that no
    >>listener exists. I can connect with SQL tools and with the Oracle
    >>database tools and a direct DB connection, so I know that the listener
    >>is functioning with TCP and SPX. SNMP.NLM is running, but the listener
    >>control utility indicates that SNMP is set to OFF. Of course, the Oracle
    >>documentation excludes any reference to Oracle for NetWare when it comes
    >>to installing the agent. Any help is much appreciated.

    > You must have an Oracle Listener configured correctly, or else you
    > won't even be able to use tools like WebDB, etc. If other tools are able to
    > successfully connect to Oracle 8i, then you do have a Listener running
    > properly and the "Intelligent Agent" is likely not configured correctly to
    > communicate with the Listener.
    >
    > Did you use EasyCfg.NCF to configure your Listeners?

    I did, but the only options were for TCP and SPX. I saw nothing specific
    for the agent or SNMP.

  4. Re: Oracle

    "GMC " wrote in comp.os.netware.connectivity:

    > Randolf Richardson wrote:

    [sNip]
    >> Did you use EasyCfg.NCF to configure your Listeners?

    > I did, but the only options were for TCP and SPX. I saw nothing specific
    > for the agent or SNMP.

    I've never attempted to get Oracle to work with SNMP on NetWare, and I
    wonder if it's even supported. You might be out of luck on this one.

    I'm not a very big fan of Oracle anymore because they very impatiently
    dropped support for NetWare shortly after making it available for free on
    NetWare 5.0 and 5.1 servers (Novell bundled the Oracle 8/8i CDs with the
    NetWare OS). I really liked their product, and we purchased technical
    support contracts while we were developing our projects, but then when we
    started to ask about buying more licenses (the NetWare bundle had a 5-user
    version of Oracle) they told us that it had been discontinued.

    When they recommended that we switch to Linux because they were going
    in this direction and would eventually be dropping all other platforms
    anyway, we told them to go to hell because they had no right to dictate
    which OS we were going to use.

    Today, I'm using PostgreSQL on NetWare and am looking forward to the
    TableSpace support that's due to be released in the near future with the
    next version. In our testing, we've found that PostgreSQL meets our needs
    in most ways, and in other ways it actually beats Oracle (first item on
    this list is price -- it's free for commercial use, etc.).

  5. Re: Oracle

    Randolf Richardson wrote:
    > "GMC " wrote in comp.os.netware.connectivity:
    >

    >>Randolf Richardson wrote:

    > [sNip]
    >
    >>>Did you use EasyCfg.NCF to configure your Listeners?

    >>I did, but the only options were for TCP and SPX. I saw nothing specific
    >>for the agent or SNMP.

    > I've never attempted to get Oracle to work with SNMP on NetWare, and I
    > wonder if it's even supported. You might be out of luck on this one.
    >
    > I'm not a very big fan of Oracle anymore because they very impatiently
    > dropped support for NetWare shortly after making it available for free on
    > NetWare 5.0 and 5.1 servers (Novell bundled the Oracle 8/8i CDs with the
    > NetWare OS). I really liked their product, and we purchased technical
    > support contracts while we were developing our projects, but then when we
    > started to ask about buying more licenses (the NetWare bundle had a 5-user
    > version of Oracle) they told us that it had been discontinued.
    >
    > When they recommended that we switch to Linux because they were going
    > in this direction and would eventually be dropping all other platforms
    > anyway, we told them to go to hell because they had no right to dictate
    > which OS we were going to use.
    >
    > Today, I'm using PostgreSQL on NetWare and am looking forward to the
    > TableSpace support that's due to be released in the near future with the
    > next version. In our testing, we've found that PostgreSQL meets our needs
    > in most ways, and in other ways it actually beats Oracle (first item on
    > this list is price -- it's free for commercial use, etc.).

    Thanks for the info. I was kind of figuring it may be a lost cause.
    Actually, I wanted to use the agents and the management center so I
    could make use of the export functions (they don't work unless you use
    the management center application), but, I can always write a program.
    Thanks again for your help!

+ Reply to Thread