Need pointers (WinXP to Novell 3.2 server) - Netware

This is a discussion on Need pointers (WinXP to Novell 3.2 server) - Netware ; I am not very knowledgeable about Novell or about setting up networking. I have a Novell 3.2 IPX server machine at home that I set up first as 3.11, and recently upgraded to 3.2. I've been accessing it for years ...

  1. Need pointers (WinXP to Novell 3.2 server)

    I am not very knowledgeable about Novell or about setting up networking.
    I have a Novell 3.2 IPX server machine at home that I set up first as
    3.11, and recently upgraded to 3.2. I've been accessing it for years
    from two other computers that run OS/2 Warp. Now I've installed WinXP on
    one of the clients.

    I installed (or tried to install) the Novell client software. I use the
    same login name on the Novell server as I use for WinXP login. Problem
    is that I really didn't know what I was doing during the WinXP client
    install (and couldn't find instructions for doing it), and I've never
    seen a WinXP machine accessing a Novell server. I ended up with a
    c:\Program Files\Novell Client\WINNT\i386\admin\nciman Client Install
    Manager file that seems to hold the client parameters, on tabs too
    numerous to detail here.

    At boot-up time I get a window labelled "Novell Login V4.90.0.0 SP1a"
    asking me for my User Name and Password, and it has a checkbox labelled
    "Workstation Only".

    If I don't check "Workstation Only", I get an error message:
    "The tree or server cannot be found. Choose a different tree or server.
    Select the Workstation Only checkbox to login to the local
    workstation. Would you still like to try to login to Windows? yes/no"
    If I say yes, it logs into WinXP but I don't have access to the server.

    If I do check "Workstation Only", I cannot access the server, either...
    clicking on the Novell Connections symbol in "My Network Places" does
    nothing.

    Apparently I have something set up wrong, probably in the myriad of tabs
    in "nciman Client Install Manager". Can anyone tell me if I'm heading in
    the right direction, and give me pointers on what files/tables to check
    and what absolutely must be specified there?

  2. Re: Need pointers (WinXP to Novell 3.2 server)

    WayneC <75557.2701@linkline.moc> wrote in

    > I am not very knowledgeable about Novell or about setting up
    > networking. I have a Novell 3.2 IPX server machine at home that I set
    > up first as 3.11, and recently upgraded to 3.2. I've been accessing it
    > for years from two other computers that run OS/2 Warp. Now I've
    > installed WinXP on one of the clients.
    >
    > I installed (or tried to install) the Novell client software. I use
    > the same login name on the Novell server as I use for WinXP login.
    > Problem is that I really didn't know what I was doing during the WinXP
    > client install (and couldn't find instructions for doing it), and I've
    > never seen a WinXP machine accessing a Novell server. I ended up with
    > a c:\Program Files\Novell Client\WINNT\i386\admin\nciman Client
    > Install Manager file that seems to hold the client parameters, on tabs
    > too numerous to detail here.
    >
    > At boot-up time I get a window labelled "Novell Login V4.90.0.0 SP1a"
    > asking me for my User Name and Password, and it has a checkbox
    > labelled "Workstation Only".
    >
    > If I don't check "Workstation Only", I get an error message:
    > "The tree or server cannot be found. Choose a different tree or
    > server.
    > Select the Workstation Only checkbox to login to the local
    > workstation. Would you still like to try to login to Windows?
    > yes/no"
    > If I say yes, it logs into WinXP but I don't have access to the
    > server.
    >
    > If I do check "Workstation Only", I cannot access the server,
    > either... clicking on the Novell Connections symbol in "My Network
    > Places" does nothing.
    >
    > Apparently I have something set up wrong, probably in the myriad of
    > tabs in "nciman Client Install Manager". Can anyone tell me if I'm
    > heading in the right direction, and give me pointers on what
    > files/tables to check and what absolutely must be specified there?

    First, check to see if IPX is enabled on the XP workstation. This is
    necessary when connecting to a 3.x-server. IP won't do it.

    Then, you are looking for a bindery connection type. Play with the
    settings that has "bindery" in then; I'm not able to browse the client
    settings right now.

    HTH,
    Erik Klausen

  3. Re: Need pointers (WinXP to Novell 3.2 server)

    Erik Klausen wrote:
    > WayneC <75557.2701@linkline.moc> wrote in
    >

    >>I am not very knowledgeable about Novell or about setting up
    >>networking. I have a Novell 3.2 IPX server machine at home that I set
    >>up first as 3.11, and recently upgraded to 3.2. I've been accessing it
    >>for years from two other computers that run OS/2 Warp. Now I've
    >>installed WinXP on one of the clients.
    >>
    >>I installed (or tried to install) the Novell client software. I use
    >>the same login name on the Novell server as I use for WinXP login.
    >>Problem is that I really didn't know what I was doing during the WinXP
    >>client install (and couldn't find instructions for doing it), and I've
    >>never seen a WinXP machine accessing a Novell server. I ended up with
    >>a c:\Program Files\Novell Client\WINNT\i386\admin\nciman Client
    >>Install Manager file that seems to hold the client parameters, on tabs
    >>too numerous to detail here.
    >>
    >>At boot-up time I get a window labelled "Novell Login V4.90.0.0 SP1a"
    >>asking me for my User Name and Password, and it has a checkbox
    >>labelled "Workstation Only".
    >>
    >>If I don't check "Workstation Only", I get an error message:
    >> "The tree or server cannot be found. Choose a different tree or
    >> server.
    >> Select the Workstation Only checkbox to login to the local
    >> workstation. Would you still like to try to login to Windows?
    >> yes/no"
    >>If I say yes, it logs into WinXP but I don't have access to the
    >>server.
    >>
    >>If I do check "Workstation Only", I cannot access the server,
    >>either... clicking on the Novell Connections symbol in "My Network
    >>Places" does nothing.
    >>
    >>Apparently I have something set up wrong, probably in the myriad of
    >>tabs in "nciman Client Install Manager". Can anyone tell me if I'm
    >>heading in the right direction, and give me pointers on what
    >>files/tables to check and what absolutely must be specified there?

    > First, check to see if IPX is enabled on the XP workstation. This is
    > necessary when connecting to a 3.x-server. IP won't do it.

    Thanks for the reply, Erik, but... I really am still clueless.

    The only place I see mention of IPX is in a file named "nciman", which
    brings up a window labelled "Novell Client Install Manager", with
    sections labelled:

    - Installation (with 7 tabs)
    Under the "Setup" tab, there is a click-on button for IPX
    (default entry is "current or default protocol")
    - Client (with 13 tabs)
    Under the "Client" tab there are blank fields to specify:
    First network drive: (defaults to "F:" drive, allows choice of
    others)
    Preferred server: (I assume my server's name goes here)
    Preferred Tree: (blank, and I have no idea what goes here)
    - Workstation Manager
    checkbox labelled "enable workstation"
    Tree: (blank field... there's that pesky boot-time reference,
    and I have no idea what a "tree" is, or what goes here)
    - IPX Compatibility
    Server Resolution time: (in milliseconds)
    IPX Compatibility Scope: (blank, I have no idea what goes here)
    Adapter: (defaults to "Default Settings", no other choices shown)
    Network Number: (defaults to "FFFFFFFD", I used "1" when I set
    up the server, is it 00000001 here?)

    Even if I do make entries in "nciman" (fat chance I'd get them right,
    though), how do I make my selections effective??? If I try to use the
    file menu to save the settings, it asks me for a file name, and defaults
    to name "untitled" if I don't give it one. If I do name it, how does the
    Novell client software know to use my file that contains my settings????
    When I generated the client, it did not ask me for any file names, it
    just moved a bunch of files into windows folders.

    > Then, you are looking for a bindery connection type. Play with the
    > settings that has "bindery" in then; I'm not able to browse the client
    > settings right now.

    I was not able to find a "bindery" setting anywhere, only a "display
    bindery services page" setting in the midst of a long list in
    nciman>client>advanced menu settings.

    HELP!!! I don't have a clue. I cannot believe that Novell gives you NO
    text user instruction file with their client download... do you have to
    attend Novell's classes to get any information on such an ordinary task
    as installing a WinXP client??? Installing the OS/2 client was a very
    simple task.

    Can anyone outline the procedure of installing a WinXP client with
    settings that work (ie, settings that I specify/tailor)?

    Wayne

  4. Re: Need pointers (WinXP to Novell 3.2 server)

    WayneC wrote:

    > HELP!!! I don't have a clue. I cannot believe that Novell gives you NO
    > text user instruction file with their client download... do you have to
    > attend Novell's classes to get any information on such an ordinary task
    > as installing a WinXP client??? Installing the OS/2 client was a very
    > simple task.
    >
    > Can anyone outline the procedure of installing a WinXP client with
    > settings that work (ie, settings that I specify/tailor)?

    Well, hold on a moment, I did find some instructions on the Novell
    website... http://www.novell.com/documentation/noclienu/index.html ...so
    I'll read that awhile and try a few things before continuing with this
    forum thread.

    Wayne

  5. Re: Need pointers (WinXP to Novell 3.2 server)

    WayneC wrote:

    > Well, hold on a moment, I did find some instructions on the Novell
    > website... http://www.novell.com/documentation/noclienu/index.html ...so
    > I'll read that awhile and try a few things before continuing with this
    > forum thread.

    The instructions I found said to run nciman and make desired changes,
    then save it under a name you choose (let's use "myparms" for this
    discussion), then use start > run to specify a path to setupnw.exe
    followed by a /U:myparms.txt parameter.

    That addressed one of my questions about how to make use of my nciman
    saved/changed parameters, so I made changes via nciman and saved them as
    myparms.txt, and moved them to the WINNT\i386 folder as per the Novell
    instructions. But then I ran into a problem in that the start > run
    wouldn't take a folder name in the path, apparently because Novell
    Client was installed in "c:\Program Files\Novell client\"...etc and
    those folder names are over 8 characters; ...is that a problem with
    WinXP start > run???

    I tried copying all the Novell client folders to a temporary folder
    C:\TEMP\, then copying the file I'd saved to the new temporary path
    (into i386) and running:

    C:\TEMP\WINNT\i386\setupnw.exe /U:myparms.

    That seemed to run successfully (with one glitch, see below) but on
    WinXP reboot I still had the boot-up Netware logon error saying there is
    no path to the network, thereby requiring that I log on just to WinXP,
    not to Netware.

    The "glitch" I mentioned is one I frequently see with WinXP and it has
    me baffled... often after I make a system change that requires a reboot
    to make the change effective, my system goes into a recursive reboot
    (ie, bios followed by the WinXP logo with the running dashes, followed
    by a reset and the bios again, etc) and I have to power down the machine
    and let it sit awhile, whereupon on power-up it will boot up normally.

    Also, according to the Novell website instructions, you can verify the
    protcol by right-clicking "My Network Places", click "Properties",
    right-click "Local Area Connection", select the protocol you want to
    configure, then click "Properties". But when I click "My Network Places"
    and "Properties", I get "My Netware Local Network", not "Local Area
    Connection".... "My Netware Local Network" does show the following:
    Novell Client for Windows
    Clent for Microsoft Networks
    File & Printer Sharing for MS Networks
    QoS Packet Scheduler
    NWLink NetBios
    NWLink IPX/SPX/Netbios Compatible Transport
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP),

    AArrgghh! Please, somebody give me a clue on getting this WinXP Novell
    client to access my 3.2 server machine.

    **************** additional information ***************************

    In case someone has some knowledge of what the parameters should look
    like, here is the contents of the "myparms.txt" I created:

    [Novell_Client_Install_Manager]
    Novell_Client=NT
    [NovellNetWareClientParameters]
    !Protocol=IPX
    !RemoveIPXIfPresent=NO
    !DoInstall=YES
    !First_Network_Drive=S
    !First_Network_Drive_Distribute=Always
    !Preferred_Server="MOD95_NW_SERVER"
    !Preferred_Server_Distribute=Always
    !Preferred_Network_Protocol=IPX
    !Preferred_Network_Protocol_Distribute=Always
    [WorkstationManagerParameters]
    !DoInstall=NO
    [NALAgentParameters]
    !DoInstall=NO
    [RemoteManagementParameters]
    !DoInstall=NO
    [NDPSParameters]
    !DoInstall=NO
    [ZISWinParameters]
    !DoInstall=NO
    [IPXCompatibilityModeParameters]
    !IPX_Compatibility_Use_DHCP=NO
    !IPX_Compatibility_Use_DHCP_Distribute=Always
    !IPX_Compatibility_Network_Number="00000001"
    !IPX_Compatibility_Network_Number_Distribute=Alway s
    [Unattended]
    OemPreinstall=YES
    [Network]
    InstallServices=ServicesList
    [Network_2000]
    Install2000Services=Services2000List
    [ServicesList]
    NWFS=NovellNetwareClientParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    WM=WorkstationManagerParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    NALNTSRV=NALAgentParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    WUA=RemoteManagementParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    NDPS=NDPSParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    ZISWin=ZISWinParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    [Services2000List]
    NW_NWFS=NovellNetwareClientParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    NW_WM=WorkstationManagerParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    NW_NDPS=NDPSParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    NW_NALNTSRV=NALAgentParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    NW_WUA=RemoteManagementParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    NW_ZISWin=ZISWinParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386

    I find the last dozen entries with "\$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386"
    troublesome... where did that apparent path prefix \$OEM\NET\NTCLIENT\
    come from? Does yours look like that? Maybe I need to fool around with
    myparms a bit by specifying the paths explicitly, and then rerun
    C:\TEMP\WINNT\i386\setupnw.exe /U:myparms ... ?

    My client machine (which is dual-bootable as a WinXP Pro or OS/2
    machine) is attached to a router, which in turn is attached to the
    Netware 3.2 server, a DSL modem, and another client PC. No problem
    getting to the internet via the DSL modem (been doing that for a year),
    and I can connect to my server when I boot OS/2 (been doing that for a
    year, too).

  6. Re: Need pointers (WinXP to Novell 3.2 server)

    Wayne,

    Uninstall the client. Reboot the PC then re-install. Choose "Custom" &
    select IP & IPX in the protocols. This will install &bind IPX for you.

    Best regards

    In article <10cfvvkgvh66n99@corp.supernews.com>, WayneC
    <75557.2701@linkline.moc> writes
> [...]

    >NW_NDPS=NDPSParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    >NW_NALNTSRV=NALAgentParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    >NW_WUA=RemoteManagementParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    >NW_ZISWin=ZISWinParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    >
    >I find the last dozen entries with "\$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386"
    >troublesome... where did that apparent path prefix \$OEM\NET\NTCLIENT\
    >come from? Does yours look like that? Maybe I need to fool around with
    >myparms a bit by specifying the paths explicitly, and then rerun
    >C:\TEMP\WINNT\i386\setupnw.exe /U:myparms ... ?
    >
    >My client machine (which is dual-bootable as a WinXP Pro or OS/2
    >machine) is attached to a router, which in turn is attached to the
    >Netware 3.2 server, a DSL modem, and another client PC. No problem
    >getting to the internet via the DSL modem (been doing that for a year),
    >and I can connect to my server when I boot OS/2 (been doing that for a

    Keith Bailey
    Computer Manager
    Kingsbury High School
    LONDON UK

  7. Re: Need pointers (WinXP to Novell 3.2 server)

    Keith Bailey wrote:

    > Uninstall the client. Reboot the PC then re-install. Choose "Custom" &
    > select IP & IPX in the protocols. This will install &bind IPX for you.

    Thanks, Keith, sounds reasonable, I'll give that a shot tonight.

    Now, anyone know whether the references to "\$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\" at the
    bottom of the setup parameters file is correct or wrong?

    Someone told me that the start > run command line entry with a long
    folder name (Program Files) is failing due to the blank in the name, not
    the length, and that I can get around it by putting the path in quotes,
    ie: "C:\Program Files\etc\etc\etc" /U:myparms
    ....haven't tried that one yet.

    Wayne

> [...]

    >> NW_NDPS=NDPSParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    >> NW_NALNTSRV=NALAgentParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    >> NW_WUA=RemoteManagementParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    >> NW_ZISWin=ZISWinParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    >>
    >> I find the last dozen entries with "\$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386"
    >> troublesome... where did that apparent path prefix \$OEM\NET\NTCLIENT\
    >> come from? Does yours look like that? Maybe I need to fool around with
    >> myparms a bit by specifying the paths explicitly, and then rerun
    >> C:\TEMP\WINNT\i386\setupnw.exe /U:myparms ... ?
    >>
    >> My client machine (which is dual-bootable as a WinXP Pro or OS/2
    >> machine) is attached to a router, which in turn is attached to the
    >> Netware 3.2 server, a DSL modem, and another client PC. No problem
    >> getting to the internet via the DSL modem (been doing that for a
    >> year), and I can connect to my server when I boot OS/2 (been doing

  8. Re: Need pointers (WinXP to Novell 3.2 server)

    WayneC wrote:
> [...]

    >>> NW_NALNTSRV=NALAgentParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    >>> NW_WUA=RemoteManagementParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    >>> NW_ZISWin=ZISWinParameters, \$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386
    >>>
    >>> I find the last dozen entries with "\$OEM$\NET\NTCLIENT\I386"
    >>> troublesome... where did that apparent path prefix
    >>> \$OEM\NET\NTCLIENT\ come from? Does yours look like that? Maybe I
    >>> need to fool around with myparms a bit by specifying the paths
    >>> explicitly, and then rerun C:\TEMP\WINNT\i386\setupnw.exe /U:myparms
    >>> ... ?
    >>>
    >>> My client machine (which is dual-bootable as a WinXP Pro or OS/2
    >>> machine) is attached to a router, which in turn is attached to the
    >>> Netware 3.2 server, a DSL modem, and another client PC. No problem
    >>> getting to the internet via the DSL modem (been doing that for a
    >>> year), and I can connect to my server when I boot OS/2 (been doing

  9. Re: Need pointers... some progress

    Keith Bailey wrote:

    > Wayne,
    >
    > Uninstall the client. Reboot the PC then re-install. Choose "Custom" &
    > select IP & IPX in the protocols. This will install &bind IPX for you.

    OK, I've made some progress, though I'm not where I want to be as yet.
    It now appears I can connect to the network, but I don't seem to be
    getting logged on to the server.

    I made the changes you (Keith) specified, plus perhaps a few more
    (unchecked DHCP, added the preferred server name and first drive letter
    and network number), and stored the setup parameters in "unattend.txt"
    in i386 folder (I will show a copy of that file below), then ran
    setupnw.exe with the U parameter.

    On bootup, I now get a Netware login screen that does not have a
    checkbox for Workstation Only, and WinXP boots up.

    But, if I look at explorer, there are no additional drive letters there
    (I have quite a few partitions, to accomodate running several operating
    systems, cd, dvd, digital card reader, etc... my last drive letter is
    R:, so I set the first network drive to S:. The login script for the
    user login maps S:, T:, and U:.

    If I look at "My Network Places":
    Clicking on "Novell Connections" gets nothing.
    Clicking on "Entire Network" shows icons for:
    - Microsoft Windows Network
    - Netware or Compatible Network
    - Netware Services
    Clicking on "Netware or Compatible Network" shows icons for
    - Netware Servers
    - Novell Directory Services
    Clicking on "Novell Directory Services" yields nothing.
    Clicking on "Netware Servers" generates a lot of activity through my
    pesky firewall software (I have to approve each transfer) and yields an
    icon for my server, and clicking on the server icon yields a "Sys"
    folder, which in turn has 3 more folders in it: Login, Mail, Public, and
    one named for my user ID (it's empty).

    And, at that point explorer now has changed it's display and ONLY shows
    "Novell Connections", with my server under it, Sys under that, and the
    folders (Login, Mail, etc) under Sys.

    Here are my questions:

    1. How do I get WinXP to log me onto the server automatically at bootup
    time? (that IS what it's supposed to do isn't it?)

    2. If that's not possible, how does one log in to the server after WinXP
    is up and running? (and is there an automatic way to make that happen?)

    3. Do the statements in ServicesList and Services2000List sections at
    the bottom of the setup parm file (below) look reasonable? They seem to
    contain paths, but they don't look correct... for instance, I don't have
    a path ending in "NET\NTCLIENT\I386", mine would end in "Novell
    client\WINNT\i386".

    My thanks for any help,
    Wayne

    ********* here's a copy of my setup parm file "unattend.txt ************

    [Novell_Client_Install_Manager]
    Novell_Client=NT
    [NovellNetWareClientParameters]
    !Protocol=IPIPX
    !RemoveIPXIfPresent=NO
    !DoInstall=YES
    !First_Network_Drive=S
    !First_Network_Drive_Distribute=Always
    !Preferred_Server="MOD95_NW_SERVER"
    !Preferred_Server_Distribute=Always
    !Show_Workstation_Only=NO
    !Show_Workstation_Only_Distribute=Always
    !Preferred_Network_Protocol=IPX
    !Preferred_Network_Protocol_Distribute=Always
    !DHCP_Server=NO
    !DHCP_Server_Distribute=Always
    !DHCP_Server_BinaryData=YES
    !DHCP_Server_BinaryData_Distribute=Always
[...]

  10. Re: Need pointers... PS

    WayneC wrote:

    > I made the changes you (Keith) specified, plus perhaps a few more
    > (unchecked DHCP, added the preferred server name and first drive letter
    > and network number), and stored the setup parameters in "unattend.txt"
    > in i386 folder (I will show a copy of that file below), then ran
    > setupnw.exe with the U parameter.

    Additional question: should I have left DHCP checked in the setup
    parameter file?

  11. Re: good progress

    Finally had some real success, I think, so I am pleased, but I sure wish
    I knew what things oughta look like under WinXP when accessing a Netware
    server.

    Under OS/2 I am used to the shared server-resident major folders
    appearing as drive letters (with more folders & files in each, a drive
    letter for each MAP command in the user's login script), looking just
    like any normal partition.

    I seem to have something working now under WinXP, because I successfully
    get through the bootup-time Netware logon and when WinXP comes up I can
    get to the folders and files on the Netware 3.2 server that I wish to
    share (from my OS/2 machine and this WinXP machine)... the stuff I
    created MAP commands for in the user login script... so apparently I AM
    logging onto the server. But the shared server folders appear in WinXP
    Explorer on the bottom of the "MY Network" section as folders inside a
    folder named "SYS" (which is the main folder or drive on the server)...
    not drive letters as I expected. And, there are NO extra WinXP partition
    letters, just the same ones I had before I connected to the server.

    Is this the way it is SUPPOSED to look????

    And if so, how does one do things like execute SYSCON, or do a LOGOUT or
    a WHOAMI? (they don't work using Start > Run)

    Wayne

  12. Ooops, here's the parm file

    ***************** Unattend.txt Netware setup parameter file ************

[...]

  13. Re: good progress

    The message <10cl7rmd83rh2c8@corp.supernews.com>
    from WayneC <75557.2701@linkline.moc> contains these words:

    > Finally had some real success, I think, so I am pleased, but I sure wish
    > I knew what things oughta look like under WinXP when accessing a Netware
    > server.

    > Under OS/2 I am used to the shared server-resident major folders
    > appearing as drive letters (with more folders & files in each, a drive
    > letter for each MAP command in the user's login script), looking just
    > like any normal partition.

    > I seem to have something working now under WinXP, because I successfully
    > get through the bootup-time Netware logon and when WinXP comes up I can
    > get to the folders and files on the Netware 3.2 server that I wish to
    > share (from my OS/2 machine and this WinXP machine)... the stuff I
    > created MAP commands for in the user login script... so apparently I AM
    > logging onto the server. But the shared server folders appear in WinXP
    > Explorer on the bottom of the "MY Network" section as folders inside a
    > folder named "SYS" (which is the main folder or drive on the server)...
    > not drive letters as I expected. And, there are NO extra WinXP partition
    > letters, just the same ones I had before I connected to the server.

    > Is this the way it is SUPPOSED to look????

    Pass! I'm using Win2K and Netware 3.12 (no new fangled 3.2 versions here! :-)

    > And if so, how does one do things like execute SYSCON, or do a LOGOUT or
    > a WHOAMI? (they don't work using Start > Run)

    I don't know about how XP handles the login script mappings (Win2K
    seems to work about the same as win95/98 in this regard) but there
    should be a simple solution to run the Novel utilities in the form of
    creating desktop shortcuts by the usual right click drag of the
    appropriate executables from the appropriate SYS folders.

    BTW, what's wrong with right clicking the "My Network Places" (AKA,
    "Network Neighbourhood" in win9x) and selecting 'Who Am I...' from the
    drop down menu?

    I suppose the LOGOUT function can be handy to quickly drop off the file
    server if you have logged into it with a supervisor (or equivilent)
    account and are about to start an internet session with IE as your
    chosen trojan reciever... er web browser.

    The login only seems to work when you match the user name to your
    current windows user name so I guess a batch file script using the
    USERNAME system variable would help minimise the input to just the
    required password. I might have a go at reviving my (limited) batchfile
    programming skills to test this. :-)

    One thing you've got to watch with enabling login scripting on win98
    and above (it doesn't happen with win95) is that the fileserver client
    adjusts it's date and time to that of the fileserver. This can be useful
    if your fileserver's clock is maintained to good accuracy (mine isn't).

    The alternative is to manually map the required fileserver volumes and
    enable the 'Reconnect at every login' feature to automate mapping on
    future sessions. I've considered this to eliminate the spurious search
    mappings which clutter up explorer's drive list but never got around to
    it.

    HTH

    --
    Regards, John.

    To reply directly, please remove "buttplug" .Mail via the
    "Reply Direct" button and Spam-bots will be rejected.

  14. Re: good progress

    Johnny B Good wrote:
    > The message <10cl7rmd83rh2c8@corp.supernews.com>
    > from WayneC <75557.2701@linkline.moc> contains these words:
    >
    >>Finally had some real success, I think, so I am pleased, but I sure wish
    >>I knew what things oughta look like under WinXP when accessing a Netware
    >>server.

    >>Under OS/2 I am used to the shared server-resident major folders
    >>appearing as drive letters (with more folders & files in each, a drive
    >>letter for each MAP command in the user's login script), looking just
    >>like any normal partition.

    >>I seem to have something working now under WinXP, because I successfully
    >>get through the bootup-time Netware logon and when WinXP comes up I can
    >>get to the folders and files on the Netware 3.2 server that I wish to
    >>share (from my OS/2 machine and this WinXP machine)... the stuff I
    >>created MAP commands for in the user login script... so apparently I AM
    >>logging onto the server. But the shared server folders appear in WinXP
    >>Explorer on the bottom of the "MY Network" section as folders inside a
    >>folder named "SYS" (which is the main folder or drive on the server)...
    >>not drive letters as I expected. And, there are NO extra WinXP partition
    >>letters, just the same ones I had before I connected to the server.

    >>Is this the way it is SUPPOSED to look????

    > Pass! I'm using Win2K and Netware 3.12 (no new fangled 3.2 versions here! :-)

    I had 3.12 until just recently when I got tired of looking at weird file
    dates and applied 3.2 at the same time that I moved my server to a
    different machine (an old IBM PS/2 Model 95 replaced my model 65sx); I
    had applied a bunch of fixes to 3.12 about 4 years ago that were
    supposed to fix the dates, I think, but didn't. 3.2 is simply a
    superfix, as you have to build a 3.12 system first, then apply the 3.2
    upgrade.

    I don't really use my server all that much, I built it because I wanted
    to play with it for the experience, and it's a convenient way to move
    stuff between my other machines when it doesn't fit on a diskette. So my
    server is not generally even powered on. WinXP doesn't support the
    duplexing feature on my Lexmark 4039 laser, so I've considered looking
    into adding print server functions, but at this point I have no idea if
    that would work; probably more trouble than it's worth.

    Strangely, things look even better today under WinXP, and I don't
    remember making any changes that would have affected anything, although
    I did slightly alter a couple of the user drive mappings on the server
    to better suit my OS/2 system. Now I am getting this sort of hierarchy
    in "My Network Places" right after bootup:

    My Network Places
    - N Novell Connections
    - Mod95server
    - SYS
    + LOGIN
    + MAIL
    + MySpace ...(unique to my login ID)
    + PUBLIC
    + SHARED ...(shared with other workstations)
    + Entire Network
    + My Web Sites on MSN (I don't have any)
    - SYS on Mod95server
    + LOGIN
    + MAIL
    + MySpace
    + PUBLIC
    + SHARED

    Kinda strange that the same server folders appear in two places, isn't
    it? I must have done something wrong. Adding user spaces (disk) in
    Netware is something of a mystery to me, too, so I may have done
    something wrong there that's causing this. (Start of Rant) I am a
    retired computer professional (mainframes) and I have a full set of
    Netware 3.12 books, but none of them seem to tell you anything in common
    sense task-oriented ways... ie, "if you want to add X, that's done by
    using the Y function to do Z"... they give you extremely broad concepts,
    and they give excruciating detail on how to initially create the server,
    but they seem to leave out (the overview of the part about) how to make
    changes after you've built it, which everyone ends up having to do. And
    I still haven't figured out how it organizes disk and how you can look
    at that organization (End of Rant).

    >>And if so, how does one do things like execute SYSCON, or do a LOGOUT or
    >>a WHOAMI? (they don't work using Start > Run)

    > I don't know about how XP handles the login script mappings (Win2K
    > seems to work about the same as win95/98 in this regard) but there
    > should be a simple solution to run the Novel utilities in the form of
    > creating desktop shortcuts by the usual right click drag of the
    > appropriate executables from the appropriate SYS folders.

    Ah, now I see.... there is a "SYSCONW" program in the SYS\PUBLIC folder
    that performs those admin functions. Thanks!

    > BTW, what's wrong with right clicking the "My Network Places" (AKA,
    > "Network Neighbourhood" in win9x) and selecting 'Who Am I...' from the
    > drop down menu?

    Didn't even think of that.... turns out that I CAN right-click on my
    server's name to get "WhoamI", so that was helpful, thanks!

    > I suppose the LOGOUT function can be handy to quickly drop off the file
    > server if you have logged into it with a supervisor (or equivilent)
    > account and are about to start an internet session with IE as your
    > chosen trojan reciever... er web browser.

    Not sure what you mean here. Or did you just mean that logging out is a
    good practice in order to protect the server's files from any viruses
    you might pick up from the internet?

    > The login only seems to work when you match the user name to your
    > current windows user name so I guess a batch file script using the
    > USERNAME system variable would help minimise the input to just the
    > required password. I might have a go at reviving my (limited) batchfile
    > programming skills to test this. :-)

    As proven by the "WhoamI", I am indeed logging in to the server
    automatically... I did match my WinXP login name and my server login
    name, trying to keep things simple... Dumb luck!

    > One thing you've got to watch with enabling login scripting on win98
    > and above (it doesn't happen with win95) is that the fileserver client
    > adjusts it's date and time to that of the fileserver. This can be useful
    > if your fileserver's clock is maintained to good accuracy (mine isn't).

    Well, you just explained why I've been having trouble with the clock on
    my WinXP machine the past couple of days! (went to bed at 1:30 am the
    other night because of that, thinking it was only about 12:15) ...Thanks
    again. Now, if I can just figure out how to change the time on my server
    machine...

    > The alternative is to manually map the required fileserver volumes and
    > enable the 'Reconnect at every login' feature to automate mapping on
    > future sessions. I've considered this to eliminate the spurious search
    > mappings which clutter up explorer's drive list but never got around to
    > it.

    In looking at the right-click options, it does appear I could map
    letters to the server folders if I wish.... I'm in your debt once again!

    Thanks Johnny, you are indeed Good! My thanks to Erik and Keith, also.
    Looks like I'm in pretty good shape now thanks to the three of you.
    Wayne

  15. Re: Ooops, here's the parm file

    Sorry to be so late with a response but this newsgroup does not have
    much traffic. You should post in the forums at Novell.

    You should forget about NCI Manager and unattended setup. It is
    intended for update on multiple computers. First uninstall the client
    (right click on My Network Place > Properties > right click on Local
    area connection > properties > uninstall anything related with
    Novell, leaving Microsoft stuffs and IP and IPX) and reboot.

    Run the setupnw without any switch and install the Netware client only
    without anything extra. Select IPX and accept the defaults settings
    and reboot. When the log in screen come up, type in your username and
    password. Click on the Advance button. Fill in the Tree, Context,
    and Server field or click on the buttons next to the fields and select
    it. Then click OK.

+ Reply to Thread