router won't route - Netware

This is a discussion on router won't route - Netware ; I seem to be having a brain clog here. I have set up a NW5.1 (sp7) server with two IP networks. Set up static routing with one as the default address, but it won't route. From the server I can ...

  1. router won't route

    I seem to be having a brain clog here. I have set up a NW5.1 (sp7) server with two IP networks. Set up static routing with one as the default address, but it won't route. From the server I can ping addresses on the "outside network" and also on the "inside network", but it just won't pass through. I know I'm missing something simple. Help, please...

    -----------

    If they're MY FILES and MY COMPUTER,
    why does Microsoft reserve the right to change them?

  2. Re: router won't route

    Jim Thale wrote in

    > I seem to be having a brain clog here. I have set up a NW5.1 (sp7)
    > server with two IP networks. Set up static routing with one as the
    > default address, but it won't route. From the server I can ping
    > addresses on the "outside network" and also on the "inside network",
    > but it just won't pass through. I know I'm missing something simple.

    The obvious: Check that the server is configured as a router using INETCFG,
    Protocols, TCPIP. Here you can configure the server as Router or End Node.

    The more tricky: Check if filtering is on. Same place, just look further
    down on the screen. Filtering should be disabled (at least for the test).

    Remember to run Reinitialize System after changes.

    HTH,
    Erik Klausen

  3. Re: router won't route

    Sorry, forgot that in the original post. No filtering enabled, Server set as router (not end node) and static routing set with default route set to the address of the internet router (next interface after the NetWare server, i.e. 192.168.0.1). There must be something simple that I'm missing.
    Thanks in advance.

    -----------

    If they're MY FILES and MY COMPUTER,
    why does Microsoft reserve the right to change them?

  4. Re: router won't route

    Jim Thale wrote in

    > Sorry, forgot that in the original post. No filtering enabled, Server
    > set as router (not end node) and static routing set with default route
    > set to the address of the internet router (next interface after the
    > NetWare server, i.e. 192.168.0.1). There must be something simple
    > that I'm missing.
    > Thanks in advance.

    Damn :-)

    Your "outside" subnet is 192.168.0.xxx, and let's say the "inside" subnet
    is 192.168.1.xxx. Most likely, the router 192.168.0.1 doesn't know about
    the 192.168.1.xxx-subnet. So, even if your pings reach the router, it
    can't send replies back to your ping station. I'll bet that the
    workstations on the outside net uses 192.168.0.1 as default router, so
    their replies also gets lost.
    Ping a workstation on the outside net, and make sure that this
    workstation uses the Novell server as default gateway. If you hear the
    replies, then your problem is that the 192.168.0.1-router must learn the
    path to the 192.18.1.xxx-subnet.
    Alternatively, you can use NAT to overcome this problem.

    If this theory doesn't hold, try this: If you can isolate the router (or
    play with it when there is no other traffic), you can try and ping from a
    workstation on the inside to the outside. Watch the packet counters on
    the Monitor screen. They should increase with every packet. This will
    show you if the packet arrives at the server and if the server forecasts
    the packet.

    HTHT (Hope This Helps, Then)
    Erik Klausen

    > On 31 May 2004 18:07:06 GMT
    > Erik Klausen wrote:
    >
    >> Jim Thale wrote in
    >> > I seem to be having a brain clog here. I have set up a NW5.1 (sp7)
    >> > server with two IP networks. Set up static routing with one as the
    >> > default address, but it won't route. From the server I can ping
    >> > addresses on the "outside network" and also on the "inside
    >> > network", but it just won't pass through. I know I'm missing
    >> > something simple.

    >> The obvious: Check that the server is configured as a router using
    >> INETCFG, Protocols, TCPIP. Here you can configure the server as
    >> Router or End Node.
    >>
    >> The more tricky: Check if filtering is on. Same place, just look
    >> further down on the screen. Filtering should be disabled (at least
    >> for the test).
    >>
    >> Remember to run Reinitialize System after changes.

+ Reply to Thread