Problem with Novell Client 4.83 and windows networking - Netware

This is a discussion on Problem with Novell Client 4.83 and windows networking - Netware ; Hello everyone.. I manage a Novell 5.1 server and had to install Novell Client v 4.83 in order for some of my Novell desktop management apps to function properly. Im on Windows XP SP2. The problem I now have is ...

  1. Problem with Novell Client 4.83 and windows networking

    Hello everyone..

    I manage a Novell 5.1 server and had to install Novell Client v 4.83 in
    order for some of my Novell desktop management apps to function properly.
    Im on Windows XP SP2.

    The problem I now have is that I cannot access some of our Windows shares
    (windows server 2002, as well as a variety of other shares). I used to be
    able to access them via a UNC name (I.E. \\192.168.x.x) and then map them
    with no problem.. Now I cant any longer, and I also can't uninstall the
    client as I need it for some Netware apps. When I use the UNC it takes about
    a minute or sometimes longer before it times out with an error.

    Anyone have any idea what might be going on??
    Thanks for any help you can provide.
    -Craig

  2. Re: Problem with Novell Client 4.83 and windows networking

    Craig,

    There are a few things here. Have you got the MS Client installed? Are
    you logging into Netware with the same credentials as MS. If not then
    that is your problem.

    Try making the MS client the primary login. Can you then do what you
    want?

    If you can, then log in to Netware through right clicking Network
    Neigborhood.

    There are many reasons why the Netware client is slow connecting when
    the MS Client is present.

    First of all make sure that you are running C4.83 with SP2 & post SP fix
    e.

    Also, have a look on the Novell support site. There is a TID that refers
    to an MS Knowledgebase article about MUP. There is a registry key you
    can set that speeds things up a lot. I can't remember the exact details
    as I am doing this at home.

    HTH

    In article , Craig
    writes
    >Hello everyone..
    >
    >I manage a Novell 5.1 server and had to install Novell Client v 4.83 in
    >order for some of my Novell desktop management apps to function properly.
    >Im on Windows XP SP2.
    >
    >The problem I now have is that I cannot access some of our Windows shares
    >(windows server 2002, as well as a variety of other shares). I used to be
    >able to access them via a UNC name (I.E. \\192.168.x.x) and then map them
    >with no problem.. Now I cant any longer, and I also can't uninstall the
    >client as I need it for some Netware apps. When I use the UNC it takes about
    >a minute or sometimes longer before it times out with an error.
    >
    >Anyone have any idea what might be going on??
    >Thanks for any help you can provide.
    >-Craig

    Keith Bailey
    Computer Manager