Learner needs HELP! - Netware

This is a discussion on Learner needs HELP! - Netware ; Hello all, I'm attending a training course at a local university. This is the first time this course has been offered. Part of the assignments require the use of a Netware 5.X server. The students have loaded Netware and we ...

  1. Learner needs HELP!

    Hello all,
    I'm attending a training course at a local university. This is the first
    time this course has been offered. Part of the assignments require the use
    of a Netware 5.X server. The students have loaded Netware and we all have it
    up and running. The problem is that we can't get to the Command Prompt. When
    a user closes the GUI to get to the prompt, the viewing screen "goes
    haywire". The text is not viewable as text. Everything is garbled.
    On boot up of the server, we see text. The GUI for Console One loads
    automatically, but when the GUI is closed, there is no apparent readable
    text, only "garbage".
    The computers belong to the school. They are "No Name" boxes with Intel
    Celeron chips. They appear to have on-board video controllers. The Device
    Manager on the same machines with Windows 2000 indicates that the video
    controllers are VIA Tech VT8361/VT8601 PCI Graphics controllers. The
    monitors are Viewsonic VE155 Plug and Play Flat Panels. The probelm occurs
    with resolution set to 800x600 and 1024x768.
    I'd like to be the one who comes up with the answer to this problem. If
    anyone has seen this before and has a solution, please pass on the "secret".
    I was unable to locate anything on the Novell KnowledgeBase site.
    Thanks to anyone who can help. Any replys will be considered and
    appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jay W. Cochrane

  2. Re: Learner needs HELP!

    In article , "Jay W. Cochrane" writes:
    > Hello all,
    > I'm attending a training course at a local university. This is the first
    > time this course has been offered. Part of the assignments require the use
    > of a Netware 5.X server. The students have loaded Netware and we all have it
    > up and running. The problem is that we can't get to the Command Prompt. When
    > a user closes the GUI to get to the prompt, the viewing screen "goes
    > haywire". The text is not viewable as text. Everything is garbled.
    > On boot up of the server, we see text. The GUI for Console One loads
    > automatically, but when the GUI is closed, there is no apparent readable
    > text, only "garbage".
    > The computers belong to the school. They are "No Name" boxes with Intel
    > Celeron chips. They appear to have on-board video controllers. The Device
    > Manager on the same machines with Windows 2000 indicates that the video
    > controllers are VIA Tech VT8361/VT8601 PCI Graphics controllers. The
    > monitors are Viewsonic VE155 Plug and Play Flat Panels. The probelm occurs
    > with resolution set to 800x600 and 1024x768.
    > I'd like to be the one who comes up with the answer to this problem. If
    > anyone has seen this before and has a solution, please pass on the "secret".
    > I was unable to locate anything on the Novell KnowledgeBase site.
    > Thanks to anyone who can help. Any replys will be considered and
    > appreciated.
    > Thanks,
    > Jay W. Cochrane

    Use VESA mode, not a particular video adapter. If that does not
    work then you are in for serious X Window system debugging.
    Joe D.

+ Reply to Thread