Re: Workstations On Netware Network Pause/Freeze - Netware

This is a discussion on Re: Workstations On Netware Network Pause/Freeze - Netware ; Jim Are you running IPX/SPX on your network as well as (I assume) TCP/IP? I wouldn't be surprised if this is causing your workstation hangs when surfing explorer. I'm suggesting IPX/SPX is a poor protocol. Just that in my experience ...

  1. Re: Workstations On Netware Network Pause/Freeze

    Jim

    Are you running IPX/SPX on your network as well as (I assume) TCP/IP? I
    wouldn't be surprised if this is causing your workstation hangs when surfing
    explorer. I'm suggesting IPX/SPX is a poor protocol. Just that in my
    experience it's been better to operate at a workstation level with one or
    the other (TCP/IP or IPX/SPX) when connecting to your NetWare server.

    When you install the Novell Client for instance, are you installing with the
    box ticked that says remove IPX if present?

    regards
    Steve

    "Jim Propert" wrote in message
    news:47cf21ab.0308241914.212a92ec@posting.google.c om...
    > Hello All,
    > I have a problem with my Netware 5.1/6.0 Network that
    > we have a mixture of Win98SE and Windows 2000 Workstations. The
    > problem we have is that with the Win98SE workstations is that they
    > seem to pause for about 5-15 seconds. No keyboard input can be done.
    > Mouse is not affected. No HDD activity but then the machine comes back
    > to life again. You can be doing anything, this will happen.
    > But I have noticed that this problem appears to happen mostly when I
    > am browsing through Windows Explorer or My Computer. As seems to be a
    > problem somewhere in the Computer Browsing. I have made sure all my
    > DNS are working properly. But in the W2K PCs they play up really bad
    > when you browse the network drives in My Computer/Windows Explorer. Or
    > even in Microsoft Word when you go to save or open a file in the file
    > browser. (This happens on the Win98SE PCs too.)
    > Before we upgraded to Netware 6.0 when we had Netware 5.1 we had
    > this problem.
    > I can pretty sure to say what ever is causing the pausing problem
    > in the W2K PCs is making the Win98SE workstations freeezing too. I
    > have tried un-installing Netware Client, re-installing Netware Client.
    > I have now the latest Netware Client Running. (Client 3.32 SP1 for
    > Win98Se and 4.83 SP1 for NT)
    > Service Pack 3 installed on the W2K PCs.
    > If anyone out there has any ideas or has had this problem before I
    > would really like to know what can be causing this problem.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Jim Propert

  2. Re: Workstations On Netware Network Pause/Freeze

    "Steve Rogers" wrote in message news:...
    > Jim
    >
    > Are you running IPX/SPX on your network as well as (I assume) TCP/IP? I
    > wouldn't be surprised if this is causing your workstation hangs when surfing
    > explorer. I'm suggesting IPX/SPX is a poor protocol. Just that in my
    > experience it's been better to operate at a workstation level with one or
    > the other (TCP/IP or IPX/SPX) when connecting to your NetWare server.
    >
    > When you install the Novell Client for instance, are you installing with the
    > box ticked that says remove IPX if present?
    >
    > regards
    > Steve
    >
    > "Jim Propert" wrote in message
    > news:47cf21ab.0308241914.212a92ec@posting.google.c om...
    > > Hello All,
    > > I have a problem with my Netware 5.1/6.0 Network that
    > > we have a mixture of Win98SE and Windows 2000 Workstations. The
    > > problem we have is that with the Win98SE workstations is that they
    > > seem to pause for about 5-15 seconds. No keyboard input can be done.
    > > Mouse is not affected. No HDD activity but then the machine comes back
    > > to life again. You can be doing anything, this will happen.
    > > But I have noticed that this problem appears to happen mostly when I
    > > am browsing through Windows Explorer or My Computer. As seems to be a
    > > problem somewhere in the Computer Browsing. I have made sure all my
    > > DNS are working properly. But in the W2K PCs they play up really bad
    > > when you browse the network drives in My Computer/Windows Explorer. Or
    > > even in Microsoft Word when you go to save or open a file in the file
    > > browser. (This happens on the Win98SE PCs too.)
    > > Before we upgraded to Netware 6.0 when we had Netware 5.1 we had
    > > this problem.
    > > I can pretty sure to say what ever is causing the pausing problem
    > > in the W2K PCs is making the Win98SE workstations freeezing too. I
    > > have tried un-installing Netware Client, re-installing Netware Client.
    > > I have now the latest Netware Client Running. (Client 3.32 SP1 for
    > > Win98Se and 4.83 SP1 for NT)
    > > Service Pack 3 installed on the W2K PCs.
    > > If anyone out there has any ideas or has had this problem before I
    > > would really like to know what can be causing this problem.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > >
    > > Jim Propert

    Steve,
    Thanks for replying, I do have mixed protocols installed,
    (TCP/IP and IPX installed) I have tried on some workstations to just
    use TCP only, they still same problem, but not as bad. So pure TCP
    does help. Definitely does help the browsing problem in explorer. But
    they sometimes when you go to Start Menu, the PC will freeze including
    keyboard. But mouse still active. Now I think this could be another
    issue apart from Novell. I still have two NW 5.0 servers that have IPX
    and TCP installed. They will be getting removed in the next six months
    so hopefully then I will go around and remove IPX off all
    workstations. I have DNS setup so all workstations can resolve the
    server names as well. Which I think helped.

    Thanks again,
    Jim Propert

+ Reply to Thread