Remote Connection to Work Computer - Netware

This is a discussion on Remote Connection to Work Computer - Netware ; Greetings, We are runnign netware 4.11 at work. I am the network administrator. What would it take for me and my boss to both be able to access the server files from home? Thanks Terry...

  1. Remote Connection to Work Computer

    Greetings,

    We are runnign netware 4.11 at work. I am the network administrator. What
    would it take for me and my boss to both be able to access the server files
    from home? Thanks

    Terry

  2. Re: Remote Connection to Work Computer

    Terry wrote:

    > What
    > would it take for me and my boss to both be able to access the server files
    > from home?

    One way, which I use, is simply remote access to one or more workstations
    (use two workstations if you need to work simultaneously). You can use
    something like PCAnywhere over a modem or a TCP/IP link.

    In our case we have a VPN implemented by an ADSL router in the office.
    The workstations are running some variety of Microsoft Windows with VPN
    installed, have names, and are set up to allow Microsoft's file sharing.
    Users who know the VPN name and password can connect to the network and
    access machines on the TCP/IP network exactly as if they were in the
    office; this doesn't include our Netware server, running SPX/IPX but not
    TCP/IP. Using remote control software, a workstation can be controlled,
    and the remote user has the workstation's access to the Netware server.

    The free VNC remote control software is fine, and there are versions for
    most operating systems (Mac, Linuxes, Windows), but the standard version
    doesn't support file transfer (PC Anywhere does).

    You can also run PCAnywhere over dial-up modems (you need a modem at each
    end for each connection), or directly over the Internet without a VPN:
    but be careful with security, as anyone on the Internet can potentially
    connect.

    Best wishes,
    --
    Michael Salem

  3. Re: Remote Connection to Work Computer

    Terry wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > We are runnign netware 4.11 at work. I am the network administrator. What
    > would it take for me and my boss to both be able to access the server files
    > from home? Thanks
    >
    > Terry

    Easiest way is to load the client up on your home machine and then establish a
    VPN connection between your home and the internal network so that you have an
    internal IP when connected. After you connect, just run the novell login and
    you are all set. WHen done, disconnect from the vpn

  4. Re: Remote Connection to Work Computer

    Greetings,

    Ok, how do I set up a VPN connection, I set it up on my home computer but
    what do I have to do on the work computer.

    Thanks

    "Patrick Farrell" wrote in message
    > Terry wrote:
    > > Greetings,
    > >
    > > We are runnign netware 4.11 at work. I am the network administrator.

    What
    > > would it take for me and my boss to both be able to access the server

    files
    > > from home? Thanks
    > >
    > > Terry
    > >

    > Easiest way is to load the client up on your home machine and then

    establish a
    > VPN connection between your home and the internal network so that you have

    an
    > internal IP when connected. After you connect, just run the novell login

    and
    > you are all set. WHen done, disconnect from the vpn

+ Reply to Thread