Windows 2000 Cannot Browse NetWare Network - Netware

This is a discussion on Windows 2000 Cannot Browse NetWare Network - Netware ; I cannot establish a NetWare peer-to-peer network between two machines: (1) Caldera DRDOS 7.02 with Personal Netware (2) Windows 2000. When Machine 1 hardware was configured as a MS-DOS box I was able to run NetBEUI between the two machines, ...

  1. Windows 2000 Cannot Browse NetWare Network

    I cannot establish a NetWare peer-to-peer network between two machines:
    (1) Caldera DRDOS 7.02 with Personal Netware
    (2) Windows 2000.
    When Machine 1 hardware was configured as a MS-DOS box I was able to run
    NetBEUI between the two machines, and under DRDOS I can run NIC test
    software that confirms that the NIC is still installed and functioning, so I
    think the hardware is good. The DRDOS and NetWare installation "seems okay"
    as I can log in as supervisor and share and map drives.
    On the Win2K machine I've added NWLink Protocol and Client Service for
    NetWare. The "ipxroute config" command shows IpxLoopbackAdaptor, Local Area
    Connection, and NDISWANIPX; "ipxroute servers" shows only the Win2K
    machine; and trying to open 'NetWare or Compatible Network' yields "Unable
    to browse the network."
    As a new user of NetWare I'm stumped. Are there obvious configuration
    issues? Are there tools like ping for NetWare? Is this the right
    newsgroup?

  2. Re: Windows 2000 Cannot Browse NetWare Network

    --------------- snip ---------------
    >Is this the right newsgroup?

    You will have more response on the Novell server. Set you
    newsreader for support.novell.com/forums (I think).

    Lurk and read for a while, someone has probably already asked
    this and gotten an asnwer.

    Good luck,
    technomange

  3. Re: Windows 2000 Cannot Browse NetWare Network

    Sorry but THIS WILL NOT WORK!!

    Personal NetWare is a great product but it is a peer to peer LAN wich
    works only with DOS and Windows 3.1/3.11 with Personal NetWare
    installed them too. While there are some hacks to get it working with
    Win95, it will not work with any of the 32 bit Windows (Win
    9x/Me/NT/2000/XP).

    Personal NetWare uses it's own networking protocol (I'm not talking
    about IPX here) called PNW. Windows 2000 will connect only to Full
    NetWare Servers such as NetWare 3.x, 4.x etc. They use Bindery (BIND)
    or from 4.x Novell/NetWare Directory Services (NDS)

    If you want to play with NetWare, you can download the demo version
    from Novell's site. Windows 2000 will not have any trouble connecting
    to it.

    Spock

+ Reply to Thread