NW 6.5 trad volume w/ missing segments - Netware

This is a discussion on NW 6.5 trad volume w/ missing segments - Netware ; While attempting to increase the size (2GB -> 4 GB) of a traditional NW volume on a NW6.5, SP5 server, a critical error occurred. This one volume failed to load upon restart. All other volumes are ok (including SYS) and ...

  1. NW 6.5 trad volume w/ missing segments

    While attempting to increase the size (2GB
    -> 4 GB) of a traditional NW volume
    on a NW6.5, SP5 server, a critical error
    occurred. This one volume failed to
    load upon restart. All other volumes are
    ok (including SYS) and are mirrored.

    Vrepair fails, stating that 2 vol segments
    with same sync have mismatched data.

    My backups have a gap, due to a problem w/
    Symantec's Backup Exec for Netware 9.1
    append-overwrite error (now patched).

    Are there any tools to manage NWFS volume
    segment info? It seems that there are two
    additional segment entries that are invalid.

    Tried using the Portlock Stormgr eval
    download,
    choosing repair / NW trad part & vol recov
    cmds / repair vol w missing segment ...
    Stormgr responds showing segments 0 & 1
    valid, (2 GB ea, which is believable)
    and then segments 2,3 missing. Then says
    it can't find all volume segments, and
    since it has more than one segment
    missing, volume repair won't be attempted.

    Alternately, tried Repair a Mismatched Vol
    table, the list of vol dir table sector
    #1-4 does appear, suggesting the volume in
    this partition is recoverable.

    I would like to image either the first
    valid segment,
    or the first two segments to merge them
    into one segment,
    or ignore "zero out" these invalid segments,
    but don't see what sectors should be
    imaged for that segment.
    I expect that the first valid segment (#0)
    contains all of my missing data, as it
    occupied less
    than the original 2GB of space.

    thanks,

    Dave Manning

    --
    Dave Manning/Kansas State University
    Biochemistry Dept/73 Chalmers Hall

  2. Re: NW 6.5 trad volume w/ missing segments

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 13:42:24 -0600, Dave Manning wrote:
    > Alternately, tried Repair a Mismatched Vol
    > table, the list of vol dir table sector
    > #1-4 does appear, suggesting the volume in
    > this partition is recoverable.

    At this point, you should probably call Portlock. If they think it
    can be fixed, it'll cost you, but the data's probably worth the
    price or you wouldn't be trying to save it.

    --
    | David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
    | The Murphy Philosophy: Smile, tomorrow will be worse. |

+ Reply to Thread