files become invisible - Netware

This is a discussion on files become invisible - Netware ; On a Netwrae 6.5 server NSS volume, some clients cannot "see" certain portions of the tree without any access right causing this. In fact, we have a VOL:\dir1\dir2\dir3\...\dir8 with the following properties: - all clients can see dir9 and files ...

  1. files become invisible

    On a Netwrae 6.5 server NSS volume, some clients cannot "see" certain
    portions of the tree without any access right causing this.
    In fact, we have a VOL:\dir1\dir2\dir3\...\dir8 with the following
    properties:
    - all clients can see dir9 and files dir9\fileX congtained in dir8
    - only *some* clients can see fileY immediately contained in dir8
    (in both cases, client versions are the same)
    - at the server console EDIT.NLM can *NOT* see fileY either (but can
    see dir9 and dir9\fileX)
    - Arcserve seems to have backed up the full directory structure.
    - But a copy job in Arcserve only copies dir9 and dir9\fileX, but not
    fileY
    - Windows client that cannot see the files are still able to create
    new files in dir8,
    but these become invisible for them upon referesh (F5).

    I would have suspected a client issue, but the point about EDIT.NLM
    not seeing the files either disturbs me...

    Any hints?

    hagman

  2. Re: files become invisible

    On 19 Dez., 17:06, hagman wrote:
    > On a Netwrae 6.5 server NSS volume, some clients cannot "see" certain
    > portions of the tree without any access right causing this.
    > In fact, we have a VOL:\dir1\dir2\dir3\...\dir8 with the following
    > properties:
    > - all clients can see dir9 and files dir9\fileX congtained in dir8
    > - only *some* clients can see fileY immediately contained in dir8
    > (in both cases, client versions are the same)
    > - at the server console EDIT.NLM can *NOT* see fileY either (but can
    > see dir9 and dir9\fileX)
    > - Arcserve seems to have backed up the full directory structure.
    > - But a copy job in Arcserve only copies dir9 and dir9\fileX, but not
    > fileY
    > - Windows client that cannot see the files are still able to create
    > new files in dir8,
    > but these become invisible for them upon referesh (F5).
    >
    > I would have suspected a client issue, but the point about EDIT.NLM
    > not seeing the files either disturbs me...
    >
    > Any hints?
    >
    > hagman

    An update that makes things look even weirder:
    As mentioned, at least the backup software (Arcserve) seems to
    be able to handle the "missing" files.
    I restored what I called dir8 above to a different volume with the
    effect that the restored directory has the same properties:
    Users (including EDIT.NLM) see only dir9 and files therein
    and when they create files, these disappear as well.
    The restored directory (just like the original) has no special
    trustee assignments and no attributes set.

    If I don't get any other idea, I think I'll reboot the server over the
    holidays
    and hope this will not become a habit (last reboot was not even 400
    days ago).

    hagman

+ Reply to Thread