Binary resources in Firefox Extension - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Binary resources in Firefox Extension - Mozilla ; Hi, I am developing a firefox toolbar extension in which I am using several images and css files. I want to put those images and css files in a dll (component - I've also created a component for my extension) ...

  1. Binary resources in Firefox Extension

    Hi,

    I am developing a firefox toolbar extension in which I am using
    several images and css files. I want to put those images and css files
    in a dll (component - I've also created a component for my extension)
    and access them in my XUL file.

    I know that in order to have this functionality, I have to use new
    protocol. I tried to create new protocol from the help given by
    mozilla for finger protocol. But it failed to compile.

    Can you suggest me how to approach?

    For reference, Norton Internet Security uses same technique in its
    firefox extension. After installing NIS, it integrates with firefox.
    If you type in address bar symres://toolbartemplate.css, it show css
    file from a component DLL.

    Please help me out.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Binary resources in Firefox Extension

    On Feb 17, 1:28*pm, Manuel Reimer group.org> wrote:
    > veeru wrote:
    > > I am developing a firefox toolbar extension in which I am using
    > > several images and css files. I want to put those images and css files
    > > in a dll (component - I've also created a component for my extension)
    > > and access them in my XUL file.

    > Sorry, but this is a pretty silly idea. Just place the files next to
    > your other files and create one big .jar file from this.
    >
    > Your plan corrupts the cross platform nature of firefox extensions. Do
    > you really just want to support the windows platform? Why?
    >
    > CU
    >
    > Manuel
    >
    > --
    > Alle wollen zurück zur Natur - aber keiner zu Fuß
    > *Der Mensch erfand Maschinen, um sich damit die Arbeit zu erleichtern.
    > *Nur leider hat er vergessen, rechtzeitig damit aufzuhören...
    > Beiträge mit *X-No-Html Header* kann ich weder lesen, noch beantworten!

    Hi,

    I am developing for windows platform and my extension will be used by
    only Firefox users running on Windows due to certain issues. So
    reconsider my question.

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread