SM won't remember action for pdf file - Mozilla

This is a discussion on SM won't remember action for pdf file - Mozilla ; This is on Linux, Mandriva 2010.0 x86_64 and a 64-bit build I made from 2.0.1 sources by following instructions @ mozilla.org -> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Simple_SeaMonkey_build Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv: 1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091216 SeaMonkey/2.0.1 NOT Firefox/3.5.4 The following is ...

  1. SM won't remember action for pdf file

    This is on Linux, Mandriva 2010.0 x86_64 and a 64-bit build I made
    from 2.0.1 sources by following instructions @ mozilla.org ->
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Simple_SeaMonkey_build

    Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:
    1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091216 SeaMonkey/2.0.1 NOT Firefox/3.5.4

    The following is copy/paste from the mozillazine forum, so I hope it
    comes through ok.
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...92165#p8692165

    I click on a link to pdf in the browser. For example:
    http://www.gp.com/build/documentView...elementid=6947
    I get the 'Opening xxxx.pdf' dialog box:

    You have chosen to open
    xxxx.pdf
    which is a: PDF document
    from: http:xxxxx

    What should SeaMonkey do with this file?

    O Open with [Browse...]
    O FlashGot [...]
    O Save File

    [] Do this automatically for files like this from now on.

    Settings can be changed in SeaMonkey's Preferences.

    I want this to open in acroread (Adobe pdf reader), so I browse to the
    executable, select it, and check "Do this automatically...."

    Next time I click on a pdf link, I get the same dialog box. I looked
    in Helper Applications of the browser Preferences and 'use acroread'
    is listed. There is an "Application Details..." choice in the drop-
    down menu and that shows the full path to this program, /usr/bin/
    acroread.

    I think it's a matter of the construction of the url for the pdf. A
    random link to a pdf form @ irs.gov http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf
    just opened automatically in acroread for me, while the cited link
    http://www.gp.com/build/documentView...elementid=6947
    contains some sort of scripty-looking thingamajig or other:
    documentViewer.aspx?repository=BP&elementid=6947

    Still, it would be nice if something could be done in the browser to
    avoid having to go through the process of specifying a download spot
    or the executable for this type of url; for one thing, /usr/bin is
    quite large and takes significant time to load in the dialog file
    chooser. Thanks for a great suite!

  2. Re: SM won't remember action for pdf file

    On Feb 13, 8:54*am, "David E. Ross" wrote:
> [...]

    > > chooser. *Thanks for a great suite!

    > The problem is likely that the PDF file is being served (sent by the Web
    > server) as an attachment. *See bug #538222 at
    > , which describes
    > your problem.
    >
    > The larger problem is that the "Do this automatically for files like
    > this from now on." checkbox does not work for attachments. *That's bug
    > #453455 at , which
    > has not yet been fixed. *I think this problem was created in an attempt
    > to protect users from automatically opening attachments that might
    > contain viruses or other malware.
    >
    > --
    > David E. Ross
    >

    > Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    > extensions for Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and other
    > Mozilla-related applications. *You can access Mozdev much
    > more quickly than you can Mozilla Add-Ons.

    Thanks. I scanned those bugs that have quite a history and fully
    sympathize with the security concerns. I can live with it.

+ Reply to Thread