FF 3.6 uses 50% of the cpu "after a time" - Mozilla

This is a discussion on FF 3.6 uses 50% of the cpu "after a time" - Mozilla ; Hi everyone - FF 3.6 under (Win XP SP3) suddenly begins to use half the cpu. Task Manager shows that its memory use is cycling among about 20 values from 332MB to 400MB. It starts at 332MB, bumps mem use ...

  1. FF 3.6 uses 50% of the cpu "after a time"

    Hi everyone -

    FF 3.6 under (Win XP SP3) suddenly begins to use half the cpu. Task
    Manager shows that its memory use is cycling among about 20 values
    from 332MB to 400MB. It starts at 332MB, bumps mem use up to 400MB (in
    steps of hundreds of KB), then starts at 332MB again. I have to
    completely close FF (including killing the FF process in Task Manager)
    and restart it.

    I think this happens when there are two or three FF windows open, each
    with three or four tabs.

    I have 2GB of RAM and an unfragmented pagefile of 4GB (of which 25% is
    used), so I don't think it's a swapping problem. Also, this happens
    whether the machine is lightly or heavily loaded with other running
    applications.

    Does anyone know what's going on and how I can fix it?

    Thanks so much!

    -- Pete

  2. Re: FF 3.6 uses 50% of the cpu "after a time"

    On Feb 15, 5:19*pm, Ron Hunter wrote:
    > On 2/15/2010 3:05 AM, lcplben wrote:
    >
    > > Hi everyone -

    > > FF 3.6 under (Win XP SP3) suddenly begins to use half the cpu. Task
    > > Manager shows that its memory use is cycling among about 20 values
    > > from 332MB to 400MB. It starts at 332MB, bumps mem use up to 400MB (in
    > > steps of hundreds of KB), then starts at 332MB again. I have to
    > > completely close FF (including killing the FF process in Task Manager)
    > > and restart it.

    > It sounds like a Flash application is refreshing on a schedule, as they
    > often do. *These can gobble both ram and cpu time. Unless this is
    > causing some restrictions to what you can do, I wouldn't worry about it.

    Thanks, Ron. That makes sense but it's Firefox, not Flash, that's
    being accused (by Task Manager) of taking 50% of the cpu. Flash isn't
    running anywhere AFAIK. You might mean a Flash add-on to FF and that
    could be, but I see no such add-on: I have only Firebug and Google
    toolbar as far as I know (but, yes, a Flash add-on could be
    stealthy).

    Does it cause restrictions? Yes: I can't do anything while FF is shown
    (again, by TM) to be in this greedy state. I can't compile, I can't
    edit, I definitely can't browse. Can't do a thing.

    This problem has been reported periodically, by some -- not all --
    users, for a long time.

    There is the AFOM add-on:

    that claims to recover mem that FF has leaked; it works sometimes but
    takes forever (27 secs) to do the job. From what I can uncover, no FF
    dev team member has confessed that there is any such leak.

    Any other ideas out there?

    -- ben

  3. Re: FF 3.6 uses 50% of the cpu "after a time"

    On Feb 17, 5:34*pm, Ralph Fox <-rf-...@-.invalid> wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 02:41:52 -0800 (PST), in message <17748615-b645-448c-b125-d0ca2f7b7...@w27g2000pre.googlegroups.com>
    >
    > lcplben wrote:
    > > If I were forced to, I would have to guess that FF calls
    > > CreateProcess( *) to get Flash started.

    > FYI the flash plug-in for Firefox is a DLL (NPSWF32.DLL), not an application.

    Great! That means the flash plugin is NOT installed on my machine,
    which is the way I want it.

    > *Windows applications which load DLLs are not being
    > 'underhand' and 'ghostly'.

    Was a lame joke on my part.

    Thanks.

    -- ben

  4. Re: FF 3.6 uses 50% of the cpu "after a time"

    On Feb 17, 7:46*am, Ron Hunter wrote:
    > On 2/17/2010 4:41 AM, lcplben wrote:

    > I don't think it is 'underhanded',

    Was only a lame excuse for a joke.

    just the way it works is the way it
    > Flash becomes a part of FF from the Windows Task Manager's point
    > of view. *You might be able to see it on some other third party task
    > manager. *I use Process Manager, which can adjust priorities, and is
    > free. *It also doesn't show Flash as a separate process.

    I see.

    > >> If you can't do anything when the CPU is at 50% something is wrong in
    > >> your OS priority selection process.

    I set FF priority to BelowNormal and so far it's working great. Thanks
    for the prio pointer.

    > One of the higher priorities in the system goes to the video device
    > driver, which has time critical tasks to do in order to preserve sync
    > with the scan rate. *You might check to make sure you have the latest
    > video device driver, and adjust the 'acceleration' settings up or down
    > to see if that makes a difference.

    Thanks, I will take a look.

    -- ben

+ Reply to Thread