Toolbar merging - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Toolbar merging - Mozilla ; I am on FF 3.5.7 with No Script 1.47 Better Privacy 1.9.9.47 and I just got an upgrade for Linked In Companion from 3.1 to 3.2. This now has their pair of icon/symbol sets eating their own Linked In Tool ...

  1. Toolbar merging

    I am on FF 3.5.7 with No Script 1.47 Better Privacy 1.9.9.47 and I
    just got an upgrade for Linked In Companion from 3.1 to 3.2. This now
    has their pair of icon/symbol sets eating their own Linked In Tool
    Bar ... I would like to move this pair to a different toolbar, then
    close the tool bar, but drag (them) does not seem to be working. I
    had that once before.

    I want to have the icons & text of my tool bars on less vertical
    space, so there's more devoted to main window, so I'd like some tips,
    or be pointed to where to do that.
    On some toolbars I can click on the option & get to properties to
    adjust the text, so it is clearer to me what it is.

    Approx 30% of the vertical space on my screen is taken up by stuff at
    top and bottom.
    I want to reduce that, if practical, leaving more space for the main
    window.

    The title bar uses just under 1/2 sideways space. Menu bar uses just
    under 1/3.
    In theory they could be combined.
    Navigation toolbar is fine with me right now, I like the big space for
    url and search.
    Bookmarks toolbar is 3/4 filled with stuff I use pretty often,
    although there's a couple options I could move elsewhere.
    AVG Security tool bar is pretty full, has room for a few more items.
    Linked In toolbar is empty except for the two options at end, that I
    would like to move to end of an earlier toolbar, then close that one.

  2. Re: Toolbar merging

    On Feb 13, 4:24*pm, David Pyles wrote:
    > Al Mac wrote:
    > > I am on FF 3.5.7 with No Script 1.47 Better Privacy 1.9.9.47 and I
    > > just got an upgrade for Linked In Companion from 3.1 to 3.2. *This now
    > > has their pair of icon/symbol sets eating their own Linked In Tool
    > > Bar ... I would like to move this pair to a different toolbar, then
    > > close the tool bar, but drag (them) does not seem to be working. *I
    > > had that once before.

    > > Approx 30% of the vertical space on my screen is taken up by stuff at
    > > top and bottom.
    > > I want to reduce that, if practical, leaving more space for the main
    > > window.

    > > Bookmarks toolbar is 3/4 filled with stuff I use pretty often,
    > > although there's a couple options I could move elsewhere.
    > > AVG Security tool bar is pretty full, has room for a few more items.
    > > Linked In toolbar is empty except for the two options at end, that I
    > > would like to move to end of an earlier toolbar, then close that one.

    > Right click on a blank space in one of your toolbars and select
    > "customize from the context menu, then try dragging the icons on the
    > toolbar around. *It works for the Firefox toolbars, but it might no work
    > with the third party Linked In Tool Bar.
    > Dave Pyles

    Thanks, I can get to a "customize" option which lists a bunch of icons
    and texts, but nothing happens when I try to drag icons from that
    toolbar. I have been able to rearrange icons on other toolbars, and
    even change their text properties, but all I can do on Linked In tool
    bar is click on icon with text or icon without the standard text.

    I suspected that some default setting in Tools View or someplace had
    got flipped to a different setting, that hopefully could explain why I
    can't do something I thought should be possible.

  3. Re: Toolbar merging

    Thank for your tips. I am exploring several.

    On Feb 13, 6:55*pm, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    > "Al Mac" ...> I am on FF 3.5.7 with No Script 1.47 Better Privacy 1.9.9.47 and I
    > > just got an upgrade for Linked In Companion from 3.1 to 3.2. *This now
    > > has their pair of icon/symbol sets eating their own Linked In Tool
    > > Bar ... I would like to move this pair to a different toolbar, then
    > > close the tool bar, but drag (them) does not seem to be working. *I
    > > had that once before. * *https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/1512

    > (can't see much from the picture but you could move the icon the menu bar)
    >
    > Hi Al,
    > Sounds like you have an excessive number of toolbars and on a Netbook.
    > The tips actually apply to all users though.
    >
    > Afraid I don't understand portions of Title Bar taking 1/2 of vertical space. *
    > No control over the fact that Microsoft wastes space on the title bar, but nothing
    > like the wasted space in Firefox itself. * *I have some suggestions on customizing and use of Toolbars.
    >
    > As David Pyles said you can move items around on the toolbars even from one
    > toolbar to another through customize.

    I tried that, but it does not seem to be working right now for Linked
    In.
    I just moved some stuff on the Bookmarks Menu, so now I know the
    problem is not with my settings but with different rules for different
    tool bars.

    > * *I don't know if you tried multiple row bookmarks
    > or something like that but you don't need to anything like that. * Don't know why you have
    > AVG toolbar in Firefox sound like something you would want to get rid of.
    > * *http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions
    > but I don't remember any toolbar associated *with AVG Link Scanner.

    Each time I upgrade AVG, it asks me if I want the Yahoo toolbar, I
    always say no, I always get it anyway. Sometimes there's some new
    stuff there to explore, mostly AVG advertising and an extra search
    engine which cannot be optimized like the one on the navigation tool
    bar. It had a news summary which I tried to copy paste to bookmarks
    tool bar, but that effort just recopied the last paste to bookmarks
    tool bar. I have now turned off the AVG Security toolbar and retested
    that AVG security still working, such as green symbols on links it
    claims are safe.

    > When you install things you should refuse any toolbar that wants to be installed
    > with software like *AVG Free, *Zone Alarm. * * At least for now use *View>Toolbars>(hide)
    > unnecessary toolbars. * You did not mention Google search bar, but you don't need it
    > at all. *
    >
    > I only use the main toolbars that came with Firefox *(Menu, Navigation,*Bookmarks, Tabs)_
    > and I move the Firefox search bar up to the right of the Menu bar. * Plus styling changes.

    Hmm, when right clicking on Firefox search bar, I don't see any option
    to move it up a line, just copy paste what is in the bar.

    > I've no need of it but you can create your own toolbars. *Though that is the opposite
    > of a solution for you * * View>Toolbars>Customize>add new toolbar
    > Be sure to choose **small icons* * when in customize.
    >
    > Toolbar customization - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
    > *http://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolbar_customization
    >
    > Some tips on arrangement and usage: *(Full screen mode, keyboard shortcuts)
    > * Netbooks - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
    > *http://kb.mozillazine.org/Netbooks
    >
    > In order to install small styles (many are just a few lines), you need tofirst install
    > these two extensions.
    > * * *Stylish :: Add-ons for Firefox
    > * * * * *https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/2108
    > * * *Stylish-Custom :: Add-ons for Firefox
    > * * * * *https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/12105
    >
    > This might double the number of bookmarks/folders on your bookmarks toolbar
    > if you keep the titles shown very short (1-3 characters)
    > * Bookmarks Toolbar Blue/Folders, Red/Bookmarks | userstyles.org
    > *http://userstyles.org/styles/9091
    >
    > Keyword addition for Add/Change Bookmark (Fx3) | userstyles.org
    > *http://userstyles.org/styles/9029
    >
    > Menu and SearchBar Minimal Height (DM*) | userstyles.org
    > *http://userstyles.org/styles/9350
    >
    > This is the one that will save you the MOST space as the BACK/FORWARD
    > use up the space of *almost 3 text lines.
    > * Navigation/Location Bar Presentation Height (DM*) | userstyles.org
    > *http://userstyles.org/styles/10881
    >
    > StatusBar Minimal Height (DM*) [Win7] | userstyles.org
    > *http://userstyles.org/styles/13211
    >
    > Tabs Bar Minimal Size | userstyles.org
    > *http://userstyles.org/styles/9043
    >
    > --
    > HTH,
    > David McRitchie, * extensions I use are briefly documented on my site
    > Firefox Custom: * *http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

    Thanks for your tips. My total screen is approx 10" vertical, where
    main screen approx 7" vertical. Each toolbar less than 1/2 " but each
    wee bit reduction of window "frame" helps me.

    Al Macintyre
    http://www.google.com/profiles/108007903544513887227

+ Reply to Thread