Re: Does anyone know the purpose of this empty FF folder?{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384} - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Does anyone know the purpose of this empty FF folder?{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384} - Mozilla ; On Feb 12, 1:13*am, Jack wrote: > On my XP machine it is located here: > > C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application > Data\Mozilla\Extensions\{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384} > > I have searched the web and newsgroups and there are 150,000 hits for: > > "{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}" ...

  1. Re: Does anyone know the purpose of this empty FF folder?{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}

    On Feb 12, 1:13*am, Jack wrote:
    > On my XP machine it is located here:
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Extensions\{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
    >
    > I have searched the web and newsgroups and there are 150,000 hits for:
    >
    > "{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}"
    >
    > but nothing to explain what this folder is used for.
    >
    > I tried to delete it but it reappeared after restarting FF.
    >
    > There's no great concern. I'm just curious as to it's purpose.

    The folder name is clearly a GUID (Global Unique IDentifier). From
    examining the Firefox profiles I have on my Windows partition as well
    as the ones on my Linux partition I see a folder with a GUID
    for .NET. The name of the folder is the same for both profiles on
    Windows as well as on Linux. I wonder if it's left behind from an
    extension you had installed and later uninstalled. In my case there
    are files/folders in it, among others there is install.rdf in each
    case and that file can be viewed in a text editor and you'll see the
    name of the extension (at least you do in the case of .Net). I do
    have other extensions installed but don't see such a folder for them
    in the meantime.

    In searching I found a number of sites as you noted that has that
    GUID. At https://wiki.mozilla.org/PFS2
    I found the following:

    -------------------------
    # App ID is hardcoded in the JS. We'll update this script when a new
    appId is available. Firefox always uses the same app id and it won't
    change any time soon.
    # appID={ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
    ------------------------

    So it's the GUID is for Firefox itself. But under it you could find
    any number of add-ons.

    At http://www.bengoodger.com/software/m...xtensions.html
    we find the following info along with other good info on how to
    generate a GUID:

    -------------------------
    Compulsory install.rdf Properties

    Your install.rdf file must have these properties:

    em:id
    The string GUID of the extension - you can create these by using
    guidgen (Windows), uuidgen (Unix) or "botbot uuid" on IRC. e.g.

    {daf44bf7-a45e-4450-979c-91cf07434c3d}

    em:version
    A Firefox Version Format (FVF) string identifying the version that
    is being supplied by this package. e.g.

    4.6

    em:targetApplication
    A object specifying an application targeted by this extension.
    This means that the extension will work with the application
    identified by the GUID (em:id), from the min version (em:minVersion)
    up to and including the max version (em:maxVersion). An extension
    manifest must specify at least one of these properties, and may
    specify more if the extension targets multiple apps that support this
    extension system (e.g. Firefox and Thunderbird). e.g.
    -------------------------

    So from that you can see that when you create an add-on you must
    create the install.rdf file. Within that file you must provide the
    GUID of the application for which the install is designed for (could
    be a TB add-on, SM, FF).

    So it would make sense that it gets re-created when you delete it.
    It's Firefox's GUID.

    JB

  2. Re: Does anyone know the purpose of this empty FF folder?{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}

    On Feb 12, 3:07*am, Fox on the run wrote:

    > So it's the GUID is for Firefox itself. *But under it you could find
    > any number of add-ons.
    >

    > JB

    Also at http://www.bengoodger.com/software/m...xtensions.html
    I noticed the following info:
    Application IDs

    The following are some common target application GUIDs that you can
    use in your targetApplication properties:

    Firefox {ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
    Thunderbird {3550f703-e582-4d05-9a08-453d09bdfdc6}

    JB

  3. Re: Does anyone know the purpose of this empty FF folder?{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}

    On Feb 12, 3:24*am, Jack wrote:
> [...]

    > > manifest must specify at least one of these properties, and may
    > > specify more if the extension targets multiple apps that support this
    > > extension system (e.g. Firefox and Thunderbird). e.g.
    > > -------------------------

    > > So from that you can see that when you create an add-on you must
    > > create the install.rdf file. *Within that file you must provide the
    > > GUID of the application for which the install is designed for (could
    > > be a TB add-on, SM, FF).

    > > So it would make sense that it gets re-created when you delete it.
    > > It's Firefox's GUID.

    > > JB

    > Thanks JB, I came to pretty much the same conclusion that this
    > "extension" is hardwired into FF. See my reply to Leonidas Jones in this
    > thread. I was just a bit concerned that this extension folder was not
    > where it should seem to belong and did not correspond to anything I

    I read that. I also have it at that location in addition to the one
    in the profile/extension folder.

    JB

  4. Re: Does anyone know the purpose of this empty FF folder?{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}

    On Feb 12, 1:44*pm, Jack wrote:
    > Fox on the run wrote:

    > > I read that. *I also have it at that location in addition to the one
    > > in the profile/extension folder.

    > > JB

    > That's interesting that you also have it in the profile/extension
    > folder. Is it empty there also or does it contain any evidence as to its
    > purpose? At this point I am only curious as it seems to be where it is
    > by benevolent design, and is not some aberration.

    It's empty there as well. I'm not sure what would populate that
    folder. Clearly it's the GUID for Firefox. But not clear on why it's
    there as well as under the profile.

    JB

+ Reply to Thread