Discovering Firefox as Internet Explorer - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Discovering Firefox as Internet Explorer - Mozilla ; Hi, My bank accepts only Internet Explorer for internet banking. Is there any way to make Firefox to be seen by web server as IE? I remembered that the web browser is sending it's name or ID to the web ...

  1. Discovering Firefox as Internet Explorer

    Hi,

    My bank accepts only Internet Explorer for internet banking. Is there
    any way to make Firefox to be seen by web server as IE? I remembered
    that the web browser is sending it's name or ID to the web server
    (either when asked or at the beginning of the session) so the server
    can identify which browser it is. I was wondering if it is possible to
    change this ID and cheat the web server.
    I'm using Firefox v. 3.5.6 running on Linux.

  2. Re: Discovering Firefox as Internet Explorer

    On 7 Feb, 13:59, Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 07.02.2010 07:42, blackbolek wrote:

    On this add on site it says: Coral IE Tab is not available for Linux.
    So it will not work for me unfortunately.

  3. Re: Discovering Firefox as Internet Explorer

    On 7 Feb, 14:23, Greywolf wrote:
    > blackbolek wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > My bank accepts only Internet Explorer for internet banking. Is there
    > > any way to make Firefox to be seen by web server as IE? I remembered
    > > that the web browser is sending it's name or ID to the web server
    > > (either when asked or at the beginning of the session) so the server
    > > can identify which browser it is. I was wondering if it is possible to
    > > change this ID and cheat the web server.
    > > I'm using Firefox v. 3.5.6 running on Linux.

    > Well, you can make FF report itself as IE, but I don't think that's a
    > good idea):
    >
    > http://www.pcmech.com/article/make-w...ox-is-internet...
    >
    > But I don't think your bank's website will work if you do that. I
    > suspect the reason your bank insists on IE is that it uses ActiveX on
    > its website. AFAIK, there is no way to get around that outside of IE.
    >
    > There's ietab, an extension that supposedly runs IE from FF, but AFAIK
    > it's Windows only. :-(
    >
    > Or else dual boot. 5GB will be ample for a small, for banking only,
    > Windows system. If you want to do other things with Windows you'll need
    > 10-20GB (despite the evangelistic tone of many Linux apps reviews, there
    > really are many Windows apps that do a better job than the corresponding
    > Linux apps). You can use a common data partition for access by both
    > Linux and Windows.
    >
    > If I were you, I would complain to your bank's customer service dept (if
    > it still has one ;-). ) Tell them you'll switch if they don't recognise
    > the _fact_ that Linux is becoming a consumer (== bank customer) level
    > OS. Give them a reasonable time, like three weeks?, heh heh, to fix
    > their system. And switch if you have to. This tactic may work if you go
    > to both your local branch, and speak directly to the manager, _and_ send
    > a snail-mail complaint to the banks HQ. Don't bother with e-mail, e-mail
    > just doesn't have the impact of a letter on paper. Especially if it's
    > handwritten. ;-) Be sure to request a reply.
    >
    > cheers,
    > wolf k.

    Well - that's what I'm doing at the moment (dual boot). I keep Windows
    for cases like this one. I was just hoping that I can use Linux,
    because as everyone knows security is better than Windows.
    I'm not going to change my bank (it's credit card only) because it
    offers very good conditions, and I can switch to Windows from time to
    time...

    Thanks everybody for your ideas.

  4. Re: Discovering Firefox as Internet Explorer

    On Feb 7, 2:45*pm, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > On 02/07/2010 06:42 AM, blackbolek wrote:I'm not going to change my bank (it's credit card only) because it offers very good conditions, and I can switch to Windows from time to
    > time...You should switch banks preciselybecauseof the reasons stated hereand make sure they know the reason why you switched. How else will they, the banks, ever know that this practice is unacceptable and needs to change if people take the apathetic approach that you are taking?--Andrew DeFariaWhat's another word for synonym?

    I'm surprised at how many of you are suggesting to change banks, one
    suggesting to give them a rather short time frame to comply or
    change. Changing one's bank is not as easy as changing one's order at
    a restaurant. If you have automatic payments set up for vehicle
    insurance, automatic cheque deposit at work, and other such services
    it can become quite an inconvenience to say the least to change
    banks. Granted the argument that your bank is vulnerable and thus
    your accounts/personal information can be a compelling reason to take
    that advice. But it's still not something that can be done on a whim
    either.

    JB

  5. Re: Discovering Firefox as Internet Explorer

    On Feb 8, 11:05*am, Christoph Schmees wrote:
    > Tarkus schrieb:
    >
    > > What's so bad about IE security, especially at a bank site?

    > well, nothing. Provided that you
    > 1. go to your bank with a clean bookmark. If you type the URL and make a
    > typo you may end up on a phishing site without noticing.
    > 2. are sure that neither in you local computer nor on the way to your bank
    > a DNS hijack has taken place which diverts you to a phishing site.
    > 3. do *nothing* else with IE.
    >
    > So after all, it's about as safe as crossing a highway without looking left
    > and right. :-)

    How is 1 & 2 any different on another browser? If the site hasn't yet
    been identified as a phishing site, and the user isn't savvy enough to
    pickup on the fact that the URL is not right, then it really doesn't
    matter which browser they are using as it relates to those points. As
    I understand it, some of the vulnerabilities in IE that has yielded
    criticism has to do with a malicious site exploiting it. Your bank is
    not a malicious site so it's not exploiting it. If you practice safe
    surfing, then how are you more at risk with IE vs FF vs Opera vs
    Safari vs ...? I believe that is the question that you need to
    address (and beyond simply saying "it's not safe" without any
    authoritative source in the security industry to back it up).

    A well patched system used by a savvy user exercising safe computing
    habits will keep that user well protected regardless if that OS is
    Windows or Linux, and if the browser is IE or FF (understanding that
    there are zero day exploits or unknown vulnerabilities that someone
    could exploit to defeat even the most diligent users). A poorly
    patched system used by a user exercising poor computer judgment will
    be at significant risk regardless their OS and browser.

    We all have preferences over OS and browsers and could argue that into
    the next decade and beyond. Personal preferences aside, the weakest
    link in computer security is not the OS or the browser, but the person
    at the keyboard.

    JB

+ Reply to Thread