I've enabled the "Status" column for my InBox in TB 3.0.1 (Windows
XP). Noticed that TB shows the full wording of the various message
status like "Read, Replied, Forwarded, New, ..." etc. This takes up
valuable real-estate space on the screen since I have to expand the
column to see the full wordings. You need more than just 3 characters
to see if it was "Read" or "Replied".

My question: Is there any way to shorten these Status fields?. For
example: Instead of the full word "Forwarded", it can just show "F"
for short?. via userChrome.css or other hack?

I understand that TB shows status icons (Thread Pane), but 1) The
icons are ugly in TB: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Icons_-_Thund ...
hread_pane and 2) they show up next to the Subject field, which is not
where I want them to be.

My question: Is there any way to shorten these Status fields?. For
example: Instead of the full word "Forwarded", it can just show "F"
for short?. via userChrome.css, userChrome.js or other hack?

OR

If the above is not possible, can the Status icons be made just that
they show up under the Status column and not next to the Subject
field?.

I'm sure there must be a way to do this, since I asked a similar
question related to Priority column and I was told that it's not
possible to change it to icons, but I found the KB article showing
that it can be done: http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.js ...
lumn_icons

So I'm sure that there must be a way to do the same for the "Status"
fields as well. Any help appreciated.

Thanks