Re: Groups - strictly read-only for one Group on certain Products - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Groups - strictly read-only for one Group on certain Products - Mozilla ; On May 28, 9:54*am, "Kerry, Richard" wrote: > I've given ProductX/ProductXFull Mandatory/Mandatory,entry,canedit,editbugs. > I've not given ProductX/ProductXRead any permissions. *Is this correct ? *I'd have thought it would need something, though none of the controls appear to control read/search visibility, ...

  1. Re: Groups - strictly read-only for one Group on certain Products

    wrote:
    > I've given ProductX/ProductXFull Mandatory/Mandatory,entry,canedit,editbugs.
    > I've not given ProductX/ProductXRead any permissions. *Is this correct ? *I'd have thought it would need something, though none of the controls appear to control read/search visibility, except possibly MemberControl/OtherControl.

    Your ProductXRead groups should be Mandatory/Mandatory. This controls
    read access to the bug.

    > In the Group page I've set UserGroupReadX to inherit ProductXRead.
    > And UserGroupFull to inherit ProductXFull.
    > This should mean I can just add any user to one of these User Groups to get the access I want.

    ProductXRead should inherit ProductXFull so that the FULL users also
    have READ access. (Go to the edit page for the READ group, and check
    off Inherit for the FULL group)

    Repeat all steps for ProductY. :-)
    Clear as a murky pond on a cloudy day?

  2. Re: Groups - strictly read-only for one Group on certain Products

    Let me see if I can add a little more data to clear things up. This
    direction assumes you want 4 levels of group control on a product:

    Level 1: Read only. Users with this permission can read everything in
    your product, and search on it too.
    Level 2: Entry: Users with this permission can enter bugs into the
    product, plus all access of Read
    Level 3: Edit: Users can confirm bugs and modify all bug fields
    Level 4: Modify: Users can edit the components and other product
    fields

    Before you start you should have all of your user groups set up, ie
    users_customer, users_developer, users_management.

    1) Create 4 product groups: product_read, product_enter, product_edit,
    and product_modify
    2) Create your product
    3) Edit Group Access Controls for your product, and set the following:
    a) Entry: product_enter
    b) MemberControl/OtherControl: product_read
    c) Canedit: product_edit
    d) editcomponents: product_modify
    e) canconfirm: product_edit
    f) editbugs: product_edit

    4) Edit the group product_read, check the inherit box for any user
    group that you ONLY want read access for. Also check the box for
    product_enter.
    5) Edit the group product_enter, check the inherit box for any user
    group that you ONLY want read and entry access for. Also check the
    box for product_edit.
    6) Edit the group product_edit, check the inherit box for any user
    group that you want read, entry, and edit access for. Also check the
    box for product_modify.
    7) Edit the group product_modify, check the inherit box for any user
    group that should be able to fully control the product's bugs and
    setup. (Admins)

    This isn't the best solution for everyone, but sounds like it should
    be a good idea for you. Usually people put management into the read
    only group, customers into the entry group, and developers into the
    edit group.

+ Reply to Thread