Clarity on Chart Data Generation and Usage - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Clarity on Chart Data Generation and Usage - Mozilla ; Hello folks! I've been sysoping Bugzilla on and off for 5 years, but have mostly made do with the basic feature set thus far. Recently the need to use a few more advanced features have cropped up. The one I'm ...

  1. Clarity on Chart Data Generation and Usage

    Hello folks!

    I've been sysoping Bugzilla on and off for 5 years, but have mostly
    made do with the basic feature set thus far. Recently the need to use
    a few more advanced features have cropped up. The one I'm focussing
    on at the moment is producing charts for tracking bug trends over
    projects.

    After some searching, poking around and other tomfoolery I'm not clear
    on a couple of things:

    Would I be right in thinking that by default there is no way to
    produce a chart displaying number of bugs reported daily, by severity
    for the lifetime of a Product? By default I mean out of the box.

    As far as I can tell there are additional steps required in order to
    collect stats required to produce such a chart, and these stats cannot
    be gathered historically for a Product post mortem. In other words, I
    can only produce these reports on Products that are live now, and are
    having data gathered for them daily.

    Apologies if I have gotten the wrong end of the stick on this, but I'm
    rather confused by it all now, and have come to the conclusion that
    for some reason (I'd imagine performance) the necessary data to
    produce such a chart isn't captured by default.

  2. Re: Clarity on Chart Data Generation and Usage

    > > Apologies if I have gotten the wrong end of the stick on this, but I'm
    > > rather confused by it all now, and have come to the conclusion that
    > > for some reason (I'd imagine performance) the necessary data to
    > > produce such a chart isn't captured by default.

    > * * * * Well, how could we know what search you'd want to do every
    > night?

    Well indeed, and as Bugzilla is used for a wide range of applications
    in different industries, one could not expect to cover everything. The
    type of report I'm trying to generate is pretty commonplace amongst
    competitive products. It seems a useful, reasonably generic feature,
    for a specific Project to count number of bugs reported each day and
    plot that over time as a horizontal axis, and number of bugs as
    vertical. I've already had the old charts system spout something
    similar to that, but I'd like it to be broken down by severity as
    separate lines on the chart.

+ Reply to Thread