Mozilla Desktop Environment - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Mozilla Desktop Environment - Mozilla ; I just read a discussion from a few years ago about making a Mozilla- based desktop environment. With the focus going toward web applications, I think that is pretty exciting. As we know, Google has their Chrome OS, but I ...

  1. Mozilla Desktop Environment

    I just read a discussion from a few years ago about making a Mozilla-
    based desktop environment. With the focus going toward web
    applications, I think that is pretty exciting. As we know, Google has
    their Chrome OS, but I think Mozilla is a much better platform. That
    is why this past month I have started on a prototype.

    I have been able to make a semi-functioning taskbar, but that is about
    it. I have come to the point where it's probably time for me to lay
    out the plans in detail. The purpose of this post is to bounce some
    ideas off some more experience people and motivate myself to go on.
    Let's get right to it:

    Version 1 will allow the user to:
    * Browse the web
    * Add and remove user interface elements made from XUL or HTML
    * Configure display, sound, and network settings

    I figure browsing will be done in Firefox. As for user interface
    elements, here is how I imagine it: If there is a clock at
    www.example.com/clock.xul, then the user will browse to that URL in
    Firefox and click a "Convert to UI Element" button, which will remove
    the browser chrome and place the window always on top or on auto-hide
    somewhere.

    As for settings configuration, nsIProcess should temporarily do the
    trick for ifconfig/wpa_supplicant/alsa/etc., but eventually those
    should be converted to XPCOM.

    However, the implementation of window management, I'm not so sure of.
    Right now, I have it all in Javascript, but it may make more sense to
    use XPCOM here too.

    I'm fairly new to Mozilla, so progress is slow, but I should have a
    working prototype of the taskbar by tomorrow.

  2. Re: Mozilla Desktop Environment

    I didn't plan very well, but I'm still going. Tomorrow should be a
    good day.

  3. Re: Mozilla Desktop Environment

    I didn't plan very well, but I'm still going. Tomorrow should be a
    good day.

+ Reply to Thread