Overriding drag&drop mouse pointer - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Overriding drag&drop mouse pointer - Mozilla ; Hi, does anybody know how to override the mouse pointer (with one of the cursor CSS values) during a drag&drop operation (until the pointer is inside the window, when it's outside the default should apply). At least on windows right ...

  1. Overriding drag&drop mouse pointer

    Hi,
    does anybody know how to override the mouse pointer (with one of the
    cursor CSS values) during a drag&drop operation (until the pointer is
    inside the window, when it's outside the default should apply). At
    least on windows right now what happens is that, at best, the pointer
    flicker between the one that I set and the "not-allowed" one (mostly
    the latter).
    Can anyone point me in the right direction? Any help would be greatly
    appreciated...

  2. Re: Overriding drag&drop mouse pointer

    On Oct 15, 7:54*pm, Neil wrote:
    > CAFxX wrote:
    > >does anybody know how to override the mouse pointer (with one of the cursor CSS values) during a drag&drop operation (until the pointer is inside the window, when it's outside the default should apply).

    > If you mean a real drag&drop operation, then the user will expect one of
    > the four standard cursors. Otherwise maybe you should be emulating
    > drag&drop?
    >
    > --
    > Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

    While the pointer is inside the window the user probably wants only to
    move (scroll) the element (think about an element bigger than the
    window itself). When the pointer goes out of the window then the user
    probably wants to drop it somewhere.
    Up to now my extension (ImageTweak) simply prevented the drag&drop
    operation from starting, but my users are asking for it so I need a
    way not to specify which pointer to use inside the window (keep in
    mind that there's no possible target for a drop inside the window
    itself, the user just want to scroll the element!) and to have the
    default (platform-dependent) pointer when outside (because the user is
    probably willing to drop the element somewhere on his desktop/folder/
    whatever)

  3. Re: Overriding drag&drop mouse pointer

    On Oct 15, 9:37*pm, Neil wrote:
    > CAFxX wrote:
    > >While the pointer is inside the window the user probably wants only to move (scroll) the element (think about an element bigger than the window itself). When the pointer goes out of the window then the user probably wants to drop it somewhere.

    > Ah, well as soon as you permit an OS-level drag, then you're going to
    > start fighting what the OS thinks the cursor should be, and I suspect
    > it's a losing battle.
    >
    > --
    > Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

    When the pointer is *outside* the window I don't care what the OS or
    Firefox do with the pointer. I only need to know how to control the
    cursor while the pointer is still *inside* the window, but with a JS-
    initiated drag operation active.

+ Reply to Thread