Getting toolbar/toolbutton width - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Getting toolbar/toolbutton width - Mozilla ; Hello, I'm working on a toolbar code in which users can add buttons into it. I want to make it so that if adding a new button does not fit in the available space, then a menuitem is inserted on ...

  1. Getting toolbar/toolbutton width

    Hello,

    I'm working on a toolbar code in which users can add buttons into it.
    I want to make it so that if adding a new button does not fit in the
    available space, then a menuitem is inserted on a menu list at the
    right. Same thing as the bookmarks toolbar in Firefox.

    The buttons width is setup by Firefox based on the text entered by the
    user.

    I've been thinking on getting some code that can tell me the current
    buttons width, so that I can calculate if another button will fit in
    the space available, and if not then put it inside the menulist.

    So far I haven't been able to read the buttons width
    (toolbarbutton.width shows empty). Maybe there is even a better
    approach than reading each button width and doing the calculation
    myself.

    I will appreciate any help or suggestion.

    Regards,
    Francisco

  2. Re: Getting toolbar/toolbutton width

    On 18 nov, 11:59, Neil Deakin wrote:
    > fherrera wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > So far I haven't been able to read the buttons width
    > > (toolbarbutton.width shows empty). Maybe there is even a better
    > > approach than reading each button width and doing the calculation
    > > myself.

    > You will want to get the actual width with getBoundingClientRect
    >
    > element.width returns the value of the width attribute and will return
    > an empty value if it isn't set to anything.
    >
    > Neil

    Thanks Neil,

    I didn't mention but I would like to do this for Thunderbird. I was
    reading this is available on Firefox 3. I would suppose width and
    other settings could be gotten somehow. Any idea ?

    Francisco

+ Reply to Thread