SeaMonkey does not start after update - Mozilla

This is a discussion on SeaMonkey does not start after update - Mozilla ; Dear users of SeaMonkey, I was using Seamonkey 1.8 under Windows 7 Professional until yesterday on my Notebook. Yesterday evening an automatic update notice popped up and asked me whether I wanted to install the next version of SeaMonkey. I ...

  1. SeaMonkey does not start after update

    Dear users of SeaMonkey,

    I was using Seamonkey 1.8 under Windows 7 Professional until yesterday
    on my Notebook. Yesterday evening an automatic update notice popped up
    and asked me whether I wanted to install the next version of
    SeaMonkey. I answered yes, had to authorise the administration tool
    for the user accounts of my notebook to accept certain modifications
    which were supposed to be carried out during the installation. No
    error message appeared. But since this update procedure has executed
    all its files, SeaMonkey does not start any more. When I click
    directly on the link on the desktop or when I click directly on C:
    \Program Files (x86)\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe, a pop-up window appears
    asking whether I would like to authorise the programme of an unknown
    publisher to carry out modifications on the computer. The programme to
    carry out these modifications is seamonkey.exe. It doesn't matter if I
    answer yes or no, since afterwards the pop-up window simply disappears
    and nothing else happens.

    Therefore, I have used a new feature which is available under the
    Windows 7.0, namely the "Test programme compatibility". The result of
    the test is that seamonkey.exe is - according to Windows 7.0
    Professional - an incompatible application. After having executed the
    test, I have the option to generate a report which is sent to
    Microsoft (who has not answered, since they never do) or to run
    through additional options. But none of these additional options is of
    help.

    Another idea was to stop my ESET antivirus before I start SeaMonkey.
    But the result was exactly the same as already described above.

    A last intention was to re-install the previous version of SeaMonkey,
    but the respective sub-programme under "properties of Seamonkey"
    searches for previous versions and ends with the message that there
    are no previous versions available on my notebook...

    The worst thing is that I have lost access to my e-mail account which
    is integrated in SeaMonkey. The browser is not that important, I can
    just use any other browser, but I do not want loose access to all my e-
    mails...

    Thank you very much for your help!

    Cheers,
    Claus

  2. Re: SeaMonkey does not start after update

    On 13 Jan., 18:08, "S. Beaulieu" wrote:
    > Mark Hansen a crit :
    >
    > > Hmmm, I'm not sure I would trust Microsoft when it claims a non-IE
    > > browser application is incompatible with its operating system.

    > Good point!
    >
    > S.

    Yes, in general you might be right. But according to Windows 7
    Professional, my previous version of SeaMonkey (very likely 1.8) was
    compatible with Windows 7 Professional, whilst the new version seems
    to be incompatible, at least according to my configuration. And the
    only thing which I have changed in the meantime is the version of
    SeaMonkey. I still use the same version of my operating system and of
    my anti virus.

    Anyway, what could I do to get again access to my e-mail folders...?
    Should I download the new or the old version and install it in the
    same folder the update programme tried to use? Should I install a
    completely new version and try to import my old e-mail folders from
    somewhere on my HD...?

    Thanks for any valuable hint!
    Claus

+ Reply to Thread