I need help with 2.0.1 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on I need help with 2.0.1 - Mozilla ; I have 2 continuing issues, therefore I'm forced to continue using 1.1.18. I keep getting the following message when trying to doing to do anything: "Please enter the master password for the Software Security Device." Any clue what is wanted? ...

  1. I need help with 2.0.1

    I have 2 continuing issues, therefore I'm forced to continue using
    1.1.18.

    I keep getting the following message when trying to doing to do
    anything:

    "Please enter the master password for the Software Security Device."

    Any clue what is wanted? I have tried every password I can think of
    but none work.

    Also the email can not find my current email. How do I re-path it to
    the correct folder?

  2. Re: I need help with 2.0.1

    On Dec 16, 10:59 am, Mark Hansen wrote:
    > On 12/16/2009 10:20 AM, Jens Hatlak wrote:
    >

    > > SCShot wrote:
    > >> I keep getting the following message when trying to doing to do
    > >> anything:

    > >> "Please enter the master password for the Software Security Device."

    > >> Any clue what is wanted? I have tried every password I can think of
    > >> but none work.

    > > Quoting from the Release Notes:
    > > "MailNews account password prompts are no longer serial at startup (Bug
    > > 338549)
    > > Workaround: If a Master Password is set and you saved your login
    > > credentials, only one prompt will appear at startup. You can disable
    > > this new behavior by setting signon.startup.prompt to false in
    > > about:config."

    > > You should be able to cancel the prompt(s) to get past them. Then you
    > > can follow the advice above.

    > >> Also the email can not find my current email. How do I re-path it to
    > >> the correct folder?

    > > From a MailNews window, choose Edit/Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings,
    > > choose Server Settings below your server and change the path in the last
    > > text box.

    > Are you sure that is what the OP wants? It sounds to me like a migration
    > of the mail content from his previous version is in order.

    Thanks for the info! I'm not a power user but know enough to follow
    directions. Sound like it is code setting that need to be edited.
    "signon.startup.prompt to false in
    > about:config." Is there a file in the SeaMonkey directory that I need to edit? Also "OP" = ? Operating System?

    The email it is picking up is from 2008 and I do not know how the
    current email is in a different space, other than it might be from I
    stated using SM.

  3. Re: I need help with 2.0.1

    On Dec 18, 11:35*am, Mark Hansen wrote:
    > On 12/18/2009 11:19 AM, SCShot wrote:

    > [ snip ]

    > >> Are you sure that is what the OP wants? It sounds to me like a migration
    > >> of the mail content from his previous version is in order.

    > > Thanks for the info! *I'm not a power user but know enough to follow
    > > directions. *Sound like it is code setting that need to be edited.
    > > "signon.startup.prompt to false in
    > >> about:config." *Is there a file in the SeaMonkey directory that I need to edit? *Also "OP" = ? *Operating System?

    > OP means Original Post/Poster. It refers to you (or your original post).
    >

    > > The email it is picking up is from 2008 and I do not know how the
    > > current email is in a different space, other than it might be from I
    > > stated using SM.

    > Assuming you use a standard POP e-mail service, where the e-mail
    > messages are downloaded to your computer (rather than maintained on
    > the server, as in IMAP), your e-mail messages are maintained in your
    > SeaMonkey "Profile". The Profile is the location on your computer where
    > SeaMonkey maintains all the user data (e-mail, settings, passwords, etc.)
    >
    > You mentioned that you are using SeaMonkey 2.0 now, but not what you
    > were using before. Were you using an earlier version of SeaMonkey or
    > some other tool?
    >
    > Depending on that, SeaMonkey 2.0 should have offered to migrate your
    > previous settings into a new SeaMonkey 2.X profile, leaving your
    > original profile untouched.
    >
    > Some more information from you will be needed before anyone will be
    > able to provide help suited for your circumstances.
    >
    > Best Regards,

    I'm still using SM1.18.1 because of the "Master Password" issue. It
    keeps popping always when I start. I uninstalled SM 2.0 because I
    could get no where. With SM 2.0.1 I could go a bit further but still
    am plagued by the password issue, so I uninstalled it also. I want to
    use the newer version but need to resolve the password issue. I'm
    using an older Dell PC (2006) with Windows XPpro.

    I thing repathing the email may be tricky, I just discover that I have
    email in different places, this is the 2008 stuff:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Steven\Application Data\Mozilla\SeaMonkey
    \Profiles\210thbpd.default\Mail\mail.comcast.net

    And my current stuff is here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Steven\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles
    \default\t5qszkbu.slt\Mail\mail.comcast.net

  4. Re: I need help with 2.0.1

    On Dec 18, 12:23*pm, Jens Hatlak wrote:

    > > Thanks for the info! *I'm not a power user but know enough to follow
    > > directions. *Sound like it is code setting that need to be edited.
    > > "signon.startup.prompt to false in
    > >> about:config." *Is there a file in the SeaMonkey directory that I need to edit?

    > You need to enter "about:config", without the quotes, in a SeaMonkey
    > browser window, click past the warning, then enter
    > "signon.startup.prompt" (again without the quotes) in the search bar
    > appearing inside the window. Then double click the line that is shown to
    > toggle the value to false.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens Hatlak
    > SeaMonkey Trunk Tracker

    I reinstalled SM2.0.1 It took several clicking away the "Please enter
    the master password for the Software Security Device."
    to just get the initial SM window. I did as instructed, and set the
    property to False. Soon I got the "Please enter ..." window again. So
    I closed SM and restarted it only to have the same "Please enter ..."
    come up?

    Any other Ideas?

  5. Re: I need help with 2.0.1

    On Dec 18, 12:32*pm, Mark Hansen wrote:
    > On 12/18/2009 11:58 AM, SCShot wrote:
    >
    > > I'm still using SM1.18.1 because of the "Master Password" issue. *It

    > I think you mean version 1.1.18. It is the most recent 1.1.X version
    > for SeaMonkey.
    >
    > > keeps popping always when I start. *I uninstalled SM 2.0 because I
    > > could get no where. *With SM 2.0.1 I could go a bit further but still
    > > am plagued by the password issue, so I uninstalled it also. *I want to
    > > use the newer version but need to resolve the password issue. *I'm
    > > using an older Dell PC (2006) with Windows XPpro.

    > I think others have a solution to the master password issue, so I'll
    > let them get on with that.
    >

    > > I thing repathing the email may be tricky, I just discover that I have
    > > email in different places, this is the 2008 stuff:
    > > C:\Documents and Settings\Steven\Application Data\Mozilla\SeaMonkey
    > > \Profiles\210thbpd.default\Mail\mail.comcast.net

    > > And my current stuff is here:
    > > C:\Documents and Settings\Steven\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles
    > > \default\t5qszkbu.slt\Mail\mail.comcast.net

    > The word "repathing" makes me think you intend to just tell SM 2.X
    > to access the mail currently stored at those locations. This is not
    > how it works. You need to "migrate" the mail (and other settings, as
    > you wish) from your original SM 1.1.18 profile into the new SM 2.X
    > profile.
    >
    > Why you have two separate profiles, I don't know. Perhaps you created
    > a new profile at some point (perhaps in 2008)?
    >
    > If you have to merge two separate sets of mail folders into your new
    > profile, there may be some manual work involved, such as copying the
    > mail files from the old location(s) to the new location.
    >
    > I haven't done this, so perhaps someone with more migration knowledge
    > can help you.
    >
    > Best Regards,

    Thank you for your assistance. Unfortunately I'm still at square one
    with the password issue. I'll deal with the email when I get the
    password issue resolved.

  6. Re: I need help with 2.0.1

    On Dec 18, 1:10*pm, Jens Hatlak wrote:
    > SCShot wrote:
    > > On Dec 18, 12:23 pm, Jens Hatlak wrote:
    > >> You need to enter "about:config", without the quotes, in a SeaMonkey
    > >> browser window, click past the warning, then enter
    > >> "signon.startup.prompt" (again without the quotes) in the search bar
    > >> appearing inside the window. Then double click the line that is shown to
    > >> toggle the value to false.

    > > I reinstalled SM2.0.1 It took several clicking away the "Please enter
    > > the master password for the Software Security Device."
    > > to just get the initial SM window. *I did as instructed, and set the
    > > property to False. Soon I got the "Please enter ..." window again. *So
    > > I closed SM and restarted it only to have the same "Please enter ..."
    > > come up?

    > > Any other Ideas?

    > Go to Preferences, Mail & Newsgroups, and check "Only check for new mail
    > after opening Mail & Newsgroups".
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens Hatlak
    > SeaMonkey Trunk Tracker

    That postponed the "master password" window until I went to mail. One
    of the features about SM is it allows you to see your sorted
    passwords. But I can't use it or get my email. when SM2 it ask for
    the email server password it never makes it to the server and the
    "master password" window appears again. How do I get rid of the
    password issue? To my knowledge I never set a master password and I
    have tried all the password combinations that I might have if I had.
    I want to use SM 2 but with out email it voids the reason I went to SM.

+ Reply to Thread