Re: Cannot Launch SeaMonkey 2 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Cannot Launch SeaMonkey 2 - Mozilla ; On Oct 27, 7:39 pm, "David E. Ross" wrote: > In the meantime, I've reverted back to SM 1.1.18. > > I won't use IE except for downloading and installing Windows XP updates > because I've declined to install various ...

  1. Re: Cannot Launch SeaMonkey 2

    On Oct 27, 7:39 pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
    > In the meantime, I've reverted back to SM 1.1.18.
    >
    > I won't use IE except for downloading and installing Windows XP updates
    > because I've declined to install various security updates for it. Thus,
    > I don't consider it a full-function, working browser in my configuration.
    >
    > --
    > David E. Ross
    >

    > Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    > extensions for Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and other
    > Mozilla-related applications. You can access Mozdev much
    > more quickly than you can Mozilla Add-Ons.

    I had 1.1.18 installed and running fine. I downloaded 2.0 (just a
    little while ago), installed it (no problems), then, like David it
    asked if I wanted to run. I said yes and nothing happened. I also
    double-clicked the SM icon in the SM folder: nothing.

    I have only one profile and I did not uninstall 1.1.18. I looked in
    the SeaMonkey folder and the seamonkey.exe file had a date from
    September. I would have expected it to have an October date.

    I have reloaded 1.1.18 but am disappointed with the 2.0 problem. I'm
    running XP-SP3.

    Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: Cannot Launch SeaMonkey 2

    On Oct 28, 3:12*am, Patrick Crumhorn wrote:
    > This is exactly my problem as well. I installed SM 2.0 tonight on my WinXP Professional SP2 system
    > that already has 1.1.18 working fine. *After install I was prompted to launch SeaMonkey but nothing
    > happens. *It will not launch - at all - from the desktop icon or directly from the .exe file. *No
    > sign of it in Task Manager processes either. *Fortunately my 1.1.18 is untouched, so I'll probably
    > use that for the foreseeable future. *I'd hate to have to switch to FF and TB since I've used the
    > suite since Navigator 4 but this just isn't working for me.
    >
    > Oh, the only parent.lock file I found anywhere was in my old SeaMonkey profile, none in the SM 2
    > directories at all. *I deleted it as suggested, but no effect.

    > > I had 1.1.18 installed and running fine. *I downloaded 2.0 (just a
    > > little while ago), installed it (no problems), then, like David it
    > > asked if I wanted to run. *I said yes and nothing happened. *I also
    > > double-clicked the SM icon in the SM folder: nothing.

    I can confirm this issue after having used the *installer* in the
    alpha phase. It was caused by old stuff in my profile. In the past I
    used to copy the SM2.0 alpha version straight to disk, over an
    existing installation (I can't recall which version that was
    originally, but likely a 2.0 alpha also), while having a converted
    profile from 1.1.18. No problem. But once, I tried to use the
    installer, and after that the binary would just not start. I solved it
    by clearing out the entire program directory, doing a fresh install,
    and some tinkering in my profile folder, but I don't recall it
    exactly. I believe I had it recreate my prefs.js after renaming the
    old file. This might also have involved recreating the mail accounts.

    Niek

+ Reply to Thread