Re: AdBlock Plus will be dropping Gecko v1.8 soon. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: AdBlock Plus will be dropping Gecko v1.8 soon. - Mozilla ; On May 20, 10:38*pm, Ant wrote: > According to Ares' forum reply in my forum thread: http://forums.lanik.us/viewtopic.php...p=15719#p15718 > > "I didn't test it but I do think so. However, according tohttps://addons.mozilla.org/statistics/addon/1865only ~5% of all Adblock > Plus users still use ...

  1. Re: AdBlock Plus will be dropping Gecko v1.8 soon.

    On May 20, 10:38*pm, Ant wrote:
    > According to Ares' forum reply in my forum thread:http://forums.lanik.us/viewtopic.php...p=15719#p15718
    >
    > "I didn't test it but I do think so. However, according tohttps://addons.mozilla.org/statistics/addon/1865only ~5% of all Adblock
    > Plus users still use it, and the next Adblock Plus version will drop
    > Gecko 1.8.0 support anyway, ..."

    Better use this as source of information: http://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3828

    Yes, I have been waiting to drop support for SeaMonkey 1.1.x for a
    very long time - most importantly because of the horribly outdated
    extension installer. I hoped to see SeaMonkey 2.0 released before that
    but this will take half a year longer from what I can tell (there is
    no real roadmap and I didn't even get an approximate answer when I
    nagged KaiRo about this). There was really tons of compatibility code
    in Adblock Plus that was blocking important code refactoring, I
    couldn't wait any longer. I hope that by the time I release Adblock
    Plus 1.1 SeaMonkey 2.0b1 will be out - I will recommend upgrading to
    this release. Stable or not, it will be much better than SeaMonkey
    1.1. Of course, staying with Adblock Plus 1.0.2 will be another option.

  2. Re: AdBlock Plus will be dropping Gecko v1.8 soon.

    On May 22, 10:42*pm, Ant wrote:
    > How about forking it? Split into two different Adblock Pluses?

    I am not sure I can follow. You mean branching Adblock Plus
    development - so that for example Adblock Plus 1.0.3 is released in
    parallel with Adblock Plus 1.1? And Adblock Plus 1.0.3 would support
    both the new filter syntax and SeaMonkey 1.1? This is theoretically a
    possibility, a 1.0.x branch exists already. But I don't have the time
    to do it like this, the effort is considerable and there will be too
    few people to beta-test this release properly. So if you have
    volunteers who would backport the relevant patches to 1.0.x branch -
    sure, we can talk about it. If not - sorry.

+ Reply to Thread