Rick Merrill wrote:
>Seamonkey 1.1.16 & IE 8 (for those sites that require it)
>on Windows xp sp3
>
>Click on SM address bar and drag link to desktop.
>Link picks up the icon for IE;
>Click on link and IE opens it.
>Uninstall & re-install does not a thing.

Well at least you finally tried something.
What I want to know is
*Why ASK for advice if you won't TAKE the advice?*

NOW the questions are **WHAT** was it that you reinstalled
http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...r+*-*-live-*-*
and are you **still** being a horse's ass WRT IE8?

>Has anyone else had this happen?

For the THIRD time: Yes, others have the problem.
http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...-*-*+hazardous

>How can one make "Internet Shortcut" (s) open with SM?

Fix your screwed-up Windoze Registry.

....and your problems with the behavior of Windoze Update
and the behavior of Internet Exploder
are really subjects for a group with MICROSOFT in its name.

In addition, I would think that this far into the 21st Century
people would be aware of the default behavior of M$
and would pay CLOSE attention
to what "critical updates" from those lying bastards might do
and they would approach those with the upmost in caution.
http://google.com/search?q=cache:NXA...*-*-*#27785397
For other views on this, scroll up from that point

....then to find a possible solution, scroll down
and reread JD's previous response to you in this group.