Re: Asian Fonts - I don't want them installed. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Asian Fonts - I don't want them installed. - Mozilla ; Actually it *is* a SeaMonkey issue. This is caused by the file locale/ en-US/global/fontpackage.properties within en-US.jar which contains the following lines: # LOCALIZATION NOTE : (handled_languages): DONT_TRANSLATE handled_languages=ja, ko, zh-tw, zh-cn name_ja=Japanese Text Display name_ko=Korean Text Display name_zh-tw=Traditional Chinese Text ...

  1. Re: Asian Fonts - I don't want them installed.

    Actually it *is* a SeaMonkey issue. This is caused by the file locale/
    en-US/global/fontpackage.properties within en-US.jar which contains
    the following lines:

    # LOCALIZATION NOTE : (handled_languages): DONT_TRANSLATE
    handled_languages=ja, ko, zh-tw, zh-cn
    name_ja=Japanese Text Display
    name_ko=Korean Text Display
    name_zh-tw=Traditional Chinese Text Display
    name_zh-cn=Simplified Chinese Text Display
    # LOCALIZATION NOTE : (size_ja), MB is megabytes
    size_ja=5.3 MB
    # LOCALIZATION NOTE : (size_ko), MB is megabytes
    size_ko=2.1 MB
    # LOCALIZATION NOTE : (size_zh-tw), MB is megabytes
    size_zh-tw=3.9 MB
    # LOCALIZATION NOTE : (size_zh-cn), MB is megabytes
    size_zh-cn=4.4 MB
    cancelButtonNoDownload=OK
    windowTitleNoDownload=Install Font

    If you extract this file from en-US.jar (it is just a .zip file) and
    blank out the handled_languages line and then re-add it to en-US.jar
    then the problem will go away. Note this issue does not occur with
    SeaMonkey 2.0a as the font manager is different.

    Frankly I don't understand why this was ever done in the first place.
    Anyone who can read these languages will already have the appropriate
    fonts on their system and anyone who can't won't so this is basically
    an unnecessary nuisance.

  2. Re: Asian Fonts - I don't want them installed.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > asmpgmr wrote:
    > > Actually it *is* a SeaMonkey issue. This is caused by the file locale/
    > > en-US/global/fontpackage.properties within en-US.jar which contains
    > > the following lines:
    > >
    > > # LOCALIZATION NOTE : (handled_languages): DONT_TRANSLATE
    > > handled_languages=ja, ko, zh-tw, zh-cn
    > > name_ja=Japanese Text Display
    > > name_ko=Korean Text Display
    > > name_zh-tw=Traditional Chinese Text Display
    > > name_zh-cn=Simplified Chinese Text Display
    > > # LOCALIZATION NOTE : (size_ja), MB is megabytes
    > > size_ja=5.3 MB
    > > # LOCALIZATION NOTE : (size_ko), MB is megabytes
    > > size_ko=2.1 MB
    > > # LOCALIZATION NOTE : (size_zh-tw), MB is megabytes
    > > size_zh-tw=3.9 MB
    > > # LOCALIZATION NOTE : (size_zh-cn), MB is megabytes
    > > size_zh-cn=4.4 MB
    > > cancelButtonNoDownload=OK
    > > windowTitleNoDownload=Install Font
    > >
    > > If you extract this file from en-US.jar (it is just a .zip file) and
    > > blank out the handled_languages line and then re-add it to en-US.jar
    > > then the problem will go away. Note this issue does not occur with
    > > SeaMonkey 2.0a as the font manager is different.
    > >
    > > Frankly I don't understand why this was ever done in the first place.
    > > Anyone who can read these languages will already have the appropriate
    > > fonts on their system and anyone who can't won't so this is basically
    > > an unnecessary nuisance.

    > ahhh my little Padawan, I would suspect all those
    > languages comes from Edit, Preferences, Navigator, and
    > Languages.
    >
    > Anyways, I've disabled my windows languages and I don't
    > have the problem that you or the others seem to
    > experience.

    No, this is definitely due to those 4 languages being specified in the
    file. I blanked out the handled_languages= line and that fixed the
    problem. I definitely don't have any language other than English
    listed or installed. Please stop saying this is a Windows problem when
    it is definitely a SeaMonkey issue and was fixed for SeaMonkey 2.0.

  3. Re: Asian Fonts - I don't want them installed.

    Bob wrote:
    > asmpgmr wrote:
    > > Actually it *is* a SeaMonkey issue. This is caused by the file locale/
    > > en-US/global/fontpackage.properties within en-US.jar which contains
    > > the following lines:
    > >
    > > # LOCALIZATION NOTE : (handled_languages): DONT_TRANSLATE
    > > handled_languages=ja, ko, zh-tw, zh-cn
    > > name_ja=Japanese Text Display
    > > name_ko=Korean Text Display
    > > name_zh-tw=Traditional Chinese Text Display
    > > name_zh-cn=Simplified Chinese Text Display
    > > # LOCALIZATION NOTE : (size_ja), MB is megabytes
    > > size_ja=5.3 MB
    > > # LOCALIZATION NOTE : (size_ko), MB is megabytes
    > > size_ko=2.1 MB
    > > # LOCALIZATION NOTE : (size_zh-tw), MB is megabytes
    > > size_zh-tw=3.9 MB
    > > # LOCALIZATION NOTE : (size_zh-cn), MB is megabytes
    > > size_zh-cn=4.4 MB
    > > cancelButtonNoDownload=OK
    > > windowTitleNoDownload=Install Font
    > >
    > > If you extract this file from en-US.jar (it is just a .zip file) and
    > > blank out the handled_languages line and then re-add it to en-US.jar
    > > then the problem will go away. Note this issue does not occur with
    > > SeaMonkey 2.0a as the font manager is different.
    > >
    > > Frankly I don't understand why this was ever done in the first place.
    > > Anyone who can read these languages will already have the appropriate
    > > fonts on their system and anyone who can't won't so this is basically
    > > an unnecessary nuisance.

    > Thank you asmpgmr.
    > That took care of the nuisance.

    One caveat, if you update to a later version of SeaMonkey 1.1.x then
    you have to reapply the fix since en-US.jar will be overwritten.

+ Reply to Thread