Re: Sick windows machine - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Sick windows machine - Mozilla ; Lester Caine wrote: >[...]when I select www.pctools.com it seems to be saying >the domain does not exist, >jet the same search and link works fine on the machine next door. > >[...]trying to update the pctools anti virus fails, and ...

  1. Re: Sick windows machine

    Lester Caine wrote:
    >[...]when I select www.pctools.com it seems to be saying
    >the domain does not exist,
    >jet the same search and link works fine on the machine next door.
    >
    >[...]trying to update the pctools anti virus fails, and
    >following the link in seamonkey also fails.

    A quick peek at that site in my GetRight browser
    shows it want to load 6 JavaScripts. Got that disabled?

    If I went there with a Mozilla browser,
    I'd have to block almost everything to stand it.
    From the contents listing I see using GetRight,
    that page is also one of the most cluttered, junked-up things
    I've encountered lately.

  2. Re: Sick windows machine

    Lester Caine wrote:
    >[...]The reason for going to the site
    >was because the on-line anti-virus update was failing.
    >THAT was when I found that seamonkey was having trouble,
    >but the problem is not seamonkey
    > - it's something deeper inside pigging windows.
    >[. . .]
    >So much for doing someone a 'quick favour'!

    The biggest favor you can do for Windoze users is
    1) Back up their data.
    2) Wipe the drive clean (*NOT *just* a FORMAT
    --FDISK the partition to get any boot sector viruses).
    3) Fresh install of Windoze and apps.
    4) Having bought an _additional_ hard drive,
    image the fresh install to that HDD and put it in a closet.
    When you have problems again,
    restore the clean image to the problematic system.

    Installing an OS that isn't easily infected
    would be an even bigger favor.

+ Reply to Thread