Ray_Net wrote:
>This is an "upload file(s)" website ... nothing to do with ftp.

The 2 concepts are NOT mutually exclusive.

>In fact, i don't understand what an ftp site is.
>In my opinion we have web sites and ftp servers.

You have accounted for 2 of over 65,000 ports available
and 2 of the dozens of Internet protocols available.

FTP is one of many protocols
that are part of a layer of the Internet

One obvious property of a particular protocol
is which of your computer's 65,536 ports is used.

The easiest comparison is to the HTTP protocol:

Because FTP assumes you aren't going to use the file *immediately*,
FTP's overhead is extremely low.
FTP clients are also very slim (compared to e.g. a Web browser).
You can even do FTP from the command line.