Re: Win Media Player--odd - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Win Media Player--odd - Mozilla ; flyguy wrote: >Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote: >>Rickles wrote: >>>I am using SM 1.1.14 on WinXP Pro, SP3. Media Player install is v10, >>>and system is up to date with security patches. This has been an >>>anoyance for some ...

  1. Re: Win Media Player--odd

    flyguy wrote:
    >Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>Rickles wrote:
    >>>I am using SM 1.1.14 on WinXP Pro, SP3. Media Player install is v10,
    >>>and system is up to date with security patches. This has been an
    >>>anoyance for some time, and I'm out of ideas.
    >>>
    >>> From time to time I receive a WMV attachment in an email. To play
    >>>it, I must do one of 2 things: ensure Mail is the only SM window open
    >>>before double-clicking on the WMV file in the SM attachment pane, or
    >>>save the file to a folder and play it from there. In both those
    >>>cases, double-clicking on the file opens Media Player and the movie
    >>>plays. If an SM browser window is already open, the tab which has
    >>>focus goes blank, the address bar shows the path to the file to be
    >>>played, and then SM stops. No CPU freezes or system lockups, but SM
    >>>goes no further.
    >>>
    >>>I've looked at Helper Apps and WMV files are listed under
    >>>video/x-ms-wmv, but it makes no difference whether I leave it to the
    >>>SM default action, or point the Helper App settings to the executable
    >>>for WMP, same behavior. The aboutlugins screen shows an entry for
    >>>Windows Media Player as np-nswmp.dll for the file extension *.wmv as
    >>>well.
    >>>
    >>>So long as the browser is closed, WMP does it's thing. If a browser
    >>>window is open, nothing but a blank tab. Any ideas?

    >>its a known problem. I have the same problems, too. But I doubt this
    >>will be fixed in SM 1.1.x. Perhaps it will be for SM2.
    >>
    >>BTW: WMP 11 is the latest, not 10.

    >My wife and I have the same problem on our computers. Just yesterday, I
    >discovered it would work with the browser windows closed. Dang! I was
    >hoping it was setting I had foolishly screwed up. Oh well, at least my
    >wife will stop nagging me about it.

    Have either of you considered trying a different media player
    --one that is superior to M$'s PoS?
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

  2. Re: Win Media Player--odd

    flyguy wrote:
    >No, we haven't. Does it work with SM 1.1.14 and SM 2?

    http://google.com/search?q=cache:q8n...lla.plugin#VLC

    How is it better?
    Again, http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html
    shows the formats it can do.

    >Other than this quirk with SM,
    >WMP does the very little that we need done
    >- most joke videos emailed to us.

    On VLC's chart, see if there's something you previously couldn't view.
    If M$'s plug-in chokes (and VLC's doesn't) you have a new option.

+ Reply to Thread