Associating and Starting SeaMonkey Composer for editing HTML docs - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Associating and Starting SeaMonkey Composer for editing HTML docs - Mozilla ; I'm on Mac OS but I don't think this problem is limited to that. My question is, what is the best way to get a running instance of Mozilla Composer open an HTML document for editing? When I use the ...

  1. Associating and Starting SeaMonkey Composer for editing HTML docs

    I'm on Mac OS but I don't think this problem is limited to that. My
    question is, what is the best way to get a running instance of Mozilla
    Composer open an HTML document for editing?

    When I use the command line option:
    seamonkey-bin -editor file.htm

    I get a dialog telling me "A copy of SeaMonkey is already open. Only
    one copy of SeaMonkey can be open at a time.".

    Sadly, the -remote command set does not seem to include an editURL
    option. I'm not even sure that its supported with SeaMonkey on Mac OS
    X since I can't even use the openURL Method (I get the same Mozilla
    already running error above).

    Isn't there a way to get a running instance of SeaMonkey to open an
    HTML document w/o having to resort to AppleScripts invoking menu
    items?

    -- Steve

    p.s. Ideally SeaMonkey would just create file associations so that
    HTML documents could be opened with composer from open-with menus in
    Mac, Linux and Windows.

  2. Re: Associating and Starting SeaMonkey Composer for editing HTML docs

    Maybe I've not described my problem well enough. I have searched the
    forums but maybe I missed it but I'm very much hoping to hear from
    someone as I don't have a solution.

    My ideal HTML editor is in fact Composer. It is WYSIWIG, does just
    what I need to do basic document authoring tasks (bullets, tables
    paragraphs) and gives HTML source access for those occasions when you
    need more.

    But the world is amazingly sorely lacking this type of editor. Tools
    designed for WYSIWIG editors generally generate garbage HTML by trying
    to overcontrol the layout with styles. The couple of tools out there
    that are reasonable are hundreds of $$ (hello Adobe!). But then
    there is Composer - an awesome tool for business users to generate
    truly cross-platform documents.

    Why not provide an way to launch each app in the SeaMonkey Suite
    separately?? And specifically be able to load a document via
    standard "Open With.." methods in each OS?

    As far as I can tell, the current distribution DOES NOT because the
    command line options insist that a current instance is open and you
    can't open another. I'm not even sure why the heck the cmd lines does
    this. Since the product never allows you to open multiple profiles at
    once, why the heck would it not just load the document in the current
    profile?

    IMO, this behavior is a bug. I'd like feedback from the community
    before logging on.

    -- Steve

  3. Re: Associating and Starting SeaMonkey Composer for editing HTML docs

    On Dec 16, 7:00*pm, Daniel wrote:
    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    > > On 16.12.2008 09:49, steveinseattle wrote:

    Thanks. That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I'm looking for
    something like this:

    "/seamonkey.exe" -edit ""

    I was aware of the suggested syntax by Jay of using the -edit command
    line flag. Fundamentally, the problem with that approach is that if
    you have SeaMonkey open (even the browser and not Composer), you get
    the error:
    "A copy of SeaMonkey is already open. Only one copy of SeaMonkey can
    be open at a time."

    The solution needs to work such that multiple windows of Composer may
    be open with other documents and I can still launch a document in a
    new window of Composer.

    I've also tried to use the -remote functionality documented here:
    http://www.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html. This does not work for
    SeaMonkey Composer. Surprisingly, it does not even work for the
    SeaMonkey browser (I get the error about "copy of SeaMonkey is already
    open"). Sigh...

    Thanks in advance for any ideas.
    -- Steve

  4. Re: Associating and Starting SeaMonkey Composer for editing HTML docs

    On Dec 19, 11:53*am, Robert Kaiser wrote:
    > Mark Hansen wrote:
    > > Have you tested this on Mac?

    > > I know that on Linux, this issue exists (where you have to use the -remote
    > > command line arg, etc.). I was assuming based on the OP's comments, that
    > > the same issue exists for the Mac O/S. I don't use Mac, though, so I can't
    > > say for sure.

    > FYI, I just tested this with my 2.0a3pre Linux build and |seamonkey
    > -edit foo.html| works fine there when SeaMonkey is already open, so this
    > problem will be fixed in SeaMonkey 2.
    >
    > Robert Kaiser

    Indeed, I've verified that with 2.0a2pre on Linux, the issue does not
    exist. It behaves quite nicely there.

    But on Mac OS the issue does exist. I'll log a bug on this in hopes
    that it gets fixed.

    -- Steve

+ Reply to Thread