Re: A universal and easy way to find your Mozilla profile - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: A universal and easy way to find your Mozilla profile - Mozilla ; Isn't the profile directory always the value of pref browser.cache.disk.parent_directory which you can get via about :config...

  1. Re: A universal and easy way to find your Mozilla profile

    Isn't the profile directory always the value of pref
    browser.cache.disk.parent_directory which you can get via about:config

  2. Re: A universal and easy way to find your Mozilla profile

    Jens Hatlak wrote:
    > asmpgmr wrote:
    > > Isn't the profile directory always the value of pref
    > > browser.cache.disk.parent_directory which you can get via about:config

    > Since it's a pref you can change it (which of course won't change the
    > profile location). In addition to that that pref doesn't always exist. I
    > checked that in a fresh SM profile there is no pref that contains the
    > profile directory.

    True, too bad since you could also use about:cache.

    Maybe aboutrofile should be added to return the current profile info.

  3. Re: A universal and easy way to find your Mozilla profile

    Jens Hatlak wrote:
    > asmpgmr wrote:
    > > Jens Hatlak wrote:
    > >> Since it's a pref you can change it (which of course won't change the
    > >> profile location). In addition to that that pref doesn't always exist. I
    > >> checked that in a fresh SM profile there is no pref that contains the
    > >> profile directory.

    > > True, too bad since you could also use about:cache.
    > >
    > > Maybe aboutrofile should be added to return the current profile info.

    > Actually I like that idea! What do you think should be shown there in
    > addition to the profile location?
    >
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens Hatlak
    > SeaMonkey Trunk Tracker

    Current profile:
    List other profiles if any.

    I suppose if this was added then there should also be a Help menu item
    About Profile. I can't think of anything else as the main purpose is
    to get the profile path but maybe someone else can chime in with
    suggestions.

  4. Re: A universal and easy way to find your Mozilla profile

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > I agree. Thats a good option. It should also tell you
    > where the cache and where you're plugins folders are.

    about:cache will display the path to the disk cache
    Set pref plugin.expose_full_path to true and aboutlugins will
    display full paths to plugins

  5. Re: A universal and easy way to find your Mozilla profile

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > asmpgmr wrote:
    > > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > >
    > >> I agree. Thats a good option. It should also tell you
    > >> where the cache and where you're plugins folders are.

    > > about:cache will display the path to the disk cache
    > > Set pref plugin.expose_full_path to true and aboutlugins will
    > > display full paths to plugins

    > yes I know, but it would be nice to have everything in
    > one little window.

    Plugins are global and not part of a profile. A new aboutrofile URI
    should be just that, display info about the profile. Plugin info is
    already available and doesn't need to be duplicated elsewhere. Ditto
    for the disk cache.

  6. Re: A universal and easy way to find your Mozilla profile

    > Along with all the above suggestions in this thread and an additional
    > section in the Help Files the developers could add an additional button
    > in the Tools Menu called About:SeaMonkey and under that button a sub
    > menu listing and activating all the "About:" options. This would be a
    > whole lot more user friendly to the average user.

    About SeaMonkey is already on the Help menu. Entering about:about will
    display about: options.

  7. Re: A universal and easy way to find your Mozilla profile

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > On 11/28/08 7:35 PM, _Jens Hatlak_ spoke thusly:
    > > asmpgmr wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Current profile:
    > >> List other profiles if any.

    > > A quick search showed that a matching bug already exists:
    > >
    > > It already contains some good ideas.

    > Personally, I prefer
    > , which would
    > theoretically be put in the toolkit (used by SeaMonkey 2).

    I prefer aboutrofile (bug 223169), it's simple and to the point.
    There are already ways to get other info (about:config, aboutlugins
    and the Add-on manager). I'm not sure if anyone would actually care
    about the size of the profile, anyway would this include mail as
    well ? What about other stuff like chrome and extensions within a
    profile ? Besides you can always cut and paste the profile path to a
    command line window after dir (win32) or ls (unix) and get the size
    that way.

  8. Re: A universal and easy way to find your Mozilla profile

    It's not that hard to find the info, a quick look on Mozilla knowledge
    base turns up the following:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Category:Mozilla_Suite

    Profiles folder - SeaMonkey - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_SeaMonkey

    Preferences - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Category:Preferences and
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

    Seriously even without this info it's not that hard to find where your
    profile(s) reside. On Windows it would be safe to assume either under
    the program directory (Program Files\SeaMonkey) or the application
    directory (Windows\Application Data\Mozilla) granted in the latter
    case you would expect SeaMonkey but that's a leftover from it being
    called Mozilla Suite.

    Having aboutrofile[s] would facilitate copying the lengthy path to
    some other app and it would be useful for users with multiple profiles
    to be able to list them all.

+ Reply to Thread