Re: Not finding stored passwords (signons.txt) - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Not finding stored passwords (signons.txt) - Mozilla ; On Jan 22, 11:34*pm, Steve wrote: > I was good, and searched previous messages for "passwords". I found my > answer too! I still have a problem though. > > I am moving into a new computer. Going from XP ...

  1. Re: Not finding stored passwords (signons.txt)

    On Jan 22, 11:34*pm, Steve wrote:
    > I was good, and searched previous messages for "passwords". I found my
    > answer too! I still have a problem though.
    >
    > I am moving into a new computer. Going from XP to Windows 7.
    > For Thunderbird, I moved my whole profile. I don't want to do that with
    > Firefox because there is a lot of old junk there.
    >
    > I moved my bookmarks the easy way with export/import.
    > I want my saved passwords, so I'm looking for signons2.txt and key3.db
    > I find key3.db on both drives but nothing that starts with signon.......
    >
    > Windows 7: appdata>Roaming>Mozilla>firefox>profiles>zjsn????.default>
    > ... and there's Key3 right there but the only signons* is
    > signons.sqlight. I wasn't worried and thought maybe the file wasn't
    > there because I haven't saved a password yet.
    >
    > Windows XP: (looking at the C drive from my old computer)
    > ...Mozilla>profiles>steve>tm61????.slt. ... again, there is Key3 as
    > expected but I find NOTHING that starts with Signon....
    >
    > So where might it be? Honestly, I never realized that Thunderbird
    > contained all my stored passwords. I was looking around to see what was
    > new in Thunderbird 3.0 and discovered it. It must have been there in my
    > profiles from the old computer when I moved that profile. Just now,
    > after writing all this I see in Thunderbird>profiles another Key3 AND
    > signons3.txt.
    >
    > If I hadn't written all this already, I might just try copying
    > signons3.txt from Thunderbird into Firefox and see if it works. Since I
    > wrote all this, I'll wait a while for advice.
    >
    > I still want to know where the signons file could be hiding on my old C
    > drive.
    >
    > Steve

    If you are running FF 3.5.x or later you'll be looking for
    signons.sqlite in addition to the key3.db file. See
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Password_M...ring_passwords
    for more info.

    JB

  2. Re: Not finding stored passwords (signons.txt)

    On Jan 23, 1:18*am, Steve wrote:
> [...]

    > clears up that part of my question. The web site didn't help me find the
    > signons file on my old version, but I've been sitting here thinking and
    > looking. I think I found it. It's on a different path than I expected. I
    > found it at mozilla>firefox>profiles>gf?????.default (compare to what I
    > wrote before.) Down that path I fine signons2 and signons3. I also found
    > another key3 there, of course.
    >
    > So I guess I'll move signons3 over to the profile on the new computer.
    > This makes new questions though. When I move signons3 to the profile on
    > Firefox 3.5, it will be replacing signons.sqlite. Will FF 3.5 recognize
    > that file? Will it change the old one to the new name, or will it keep
    > the old name?
    >
    > I know, I could just try it and see what it does. I just want to run it
    > by the experts (compared to me!)in case you need to save me from doing

    I tried replying to the above message (you also replied to me
    directly). But my reply was rejected by AOL for whatever reason
    (gmail account). In the meantime I see you got some good advice and
    are on track so I won't re-post what I tried to send seeing it's been
    said by others already now.

    JB

+ Reply to Thread