Re: History search function - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: History search function - Mozilla ; On Jan 10, 12:28*pm, jim wrote: > Sometime back, i had to use IE for a while and noticed something about its > history search function. > > I could search for a remembered text fragment in the http url ...

  1. Re: History search function

    On Jan 10, 12:28*pm, jim wrote:
    > Sometime back, i had to use IE for a while and noticed something about its
    > history search function.
    >
    > I could search for a remembered text fragment in the http url and if found
    > it would bring up the original url that contained that text fragment --
    > though the text fragment was not in the URL.
    >
    > It apparently searched its cache files.............
    >
    > That would be a nice-to-have for Firefox.
    >
    > jim

    As soon as you start typing in the address bar in Firefox it searches
    its history and bookmarks (by default - you can change this) exactly
    as you explained and presents the hits in the dropdown list below the
    address bar.

    JB

  2. Re: History search function

    On Jan 10, 8:00*pm, jim wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 11:28:25 -0800, Tarkus
    >

    > in mozilla.support.firefox wrote:
    > >On 1/10/2010 11:19 AM, jim wrote:

    > >> Well that is wonderful. *So we have completed some vagaries of the typed
    > >> URL auto-completion function.

    > >> Now, the title of the thread and what i described was "History search
    > >> function".

    > >> Perhaps that can be addressed?

    > >"FF also looks at words in the name of pages you've visited"

    > >That is History. *As long as the site is still in your History, it will
    > >search by name AND url.

    > Thanks. *My reference was to something like remembering that somewhere in
    > the text of the article the words "Aeschylus said" occurred and that i
    > could search on that which would require a word index of the files in
    > cache or a literal on-demand search of files in cache. *Hence, where the
    > name of the site may be "Greek Plays" and the URLwww.stuffwelike.comor
    > somesuch, it would be found.
    >
    > Obviously this would be limited by cache directory size, aging, recent
    > activity, etc...
    >
    > jim

    Actually what you said was: "I could search for a remembered text
    fragment in the http url..." Which is exactly what I described. What
    you are asking above is very different and not done in IE either as
    far as I know. It does not search the text within the web pages.

    JB

  3. Re: History search function

    On Jan 10, 11:56*pm, jim wrote:

    > Thanks, that is kind of feedback i was looking for.
    >
    > As information, I just searched this:
    >
    > ~~~~
    > Disk cache device
    >
    > Number of entries: * * *8192
    > Maximum storage size: * 100000 KiB
    > Storage in use: * * * * 26044 KiB
    > Cache Directory: * * * *c:\ff cache\Cache
    > ~~~~
    >
    > using a general purpose file manager character string search and it took
    > approx 8 seconds for that "Aeschylus said" character string.
    >
    > The lights did not dim. :-)
    >
    > Of course a larger cache would take longer and the length of the string is
    > another factor, but it is not unapproachable and i feel a specialized
    > search engine (essentially single purpose) could do better than 8 seconds..
    >
    > (BTW, the "ff" of "ff cache" stands for firefox -- it is easy to get to)
    >
    > (I noted after i sent the previous message that my bookmarks, etc.,
    > question was on another mozilla newsgroup.)
    >
    > jim

    Yes, using your OS search features crossed my mind as well. The only
    thing being how do you easily/conviently associate that back to the
    URL? Where cache in FF is stored in containers, it's not just a
    matter of looking at the file name to get a hint of where it came
    from. Regards the amount of CPU usage and time, I don't share the
    opinion of others that it would be that time consuming or CPU
    intensive. You are talking about 50 MB of space on the default
    configuration of FF 3.0.x. Indexing/searching 50 MB isn't much
    overhead by today's standards. If it was indexed, you'd get your
    results back in much less than 8 seconds. Even 8 seconds isn't that
    long vs how long it would take you to find it again if it was
    something you dug out many layers deep from a search hit.

    I could see value in something like that. A user that wants to return
    to a website they recently visited but can't remember the URL, but do
    remember something from that page. The ability to search all of your
    cache would allow you to return to that page. I would have expected
    an add-on already out doing at least something close to that however
    no such luck when I went searching for it yesterday.

    JB

  4. Re: History search function

    On Jan 10, 11:56*pm, jim wrote:

    > using a general purpose file manager character string search and it took
    > approx 8 seconds for that "Aeschylus said" character string.
    >
    > The lights did not dim. :-)
    >
    > Of course a larger cache would take longer and the length of the string is
    > another factor, but it is not unapproachable and i feel a specialized
    > search engine (essentially single purpose) could do better than 8 seconds..
    >
    > (BTW, the "ff" of "ff cache" stands for firefox -- it is easy to get to)
    >
    > (I noted after i sent the previous message that my bookmarks, etc.,
    > question was on another mozilla newsgroup.)
    >
    > jim

    Just for clarification, this isn't something that can be done in IE
    either. Or did you somehow figure a way to do that from within the
    browser in IE? Your original post said this was a feature that you
    found in IE when you had to use it for a brief period of time.

    JB

+ Reply to Thread