Is there a way to "lock" keyword.URL? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Is there a way to "lock" keyword.URL? - Mozilla ; On my parent's computers, the preference "keyword.URL" keeps getting hijacked by third party programs. I don't have direct control over their machines, but both they and I know what string they want to be the default search in keyword.URL. Given ...

  1. Is there a way to "lock" keyword.URL?

    On my parent's computers, the preference "keyword.URL" keeps getting
    hijacked by third party programs. I don't have direct control over
    their machines, but both they and I know what string they want to be
    the default search in keyword.URL.

    Given all of that, is there any way to "lock" keyword.URL, so that it
    can only be changed directly by a real user, and never by a third
    party program without explicit user consent?

  2. Re: Is there a way to "lock" keyword.URL?

    On Nov 22, 2:47*pm, Stefan Pradel wrote:
    > Bill J. schrieb:
    >
    > > On my parent's computers, the preference "keyword.URL" keeps getting
    > > hijacked by third party programs. I don't have direct control over
    > > their machines, but both they and I know what string they want to be
    > > the default search in keyword.URL.

    > > Given all of that, is there any way to "lock" keyword.URL, so that it
    > > can only be changed directly by a real user, and never by a third
    > > party program without explicit user consent?

    > IMHO the solution to such a problem should be eliminating the malicious
    > programs, instead of changing settings in other programs running on the
    > machine.
    > Tell your parents to install antivirus software and such. That should help.

    I have already tried that. Many of the programs that hijack
    keyword.URL are not considered malware though.

    What I'd really like is a way to do what I asked, lock the access to
    keyword.URL.

    Failing that, I'd like to see a definitive, provable statement that
    what I want is completely impossible.

  3. can I "protect" keyword.URL?

    On Nov 21, 8:31*pm, "Bill J." wrote:
    > On my parent's computers, the preference "keyword.URL" keeps getting
    > hijacked by third party programs. I don't have direct control over
    > their machines, but both they and I know what string they want to be
    > the default search in keyword.URL.
    >
    > Given all of that, is there any way to "lock" keyword.URL, so that it
    > can only be changed directly by a real user, and never by a third
    > party program without explicit user consent?

    So, does anyone know how I can protect keyword.URL on a machine that I
    cannot personally oversee on a continual basis?

  4. Re: Is there a way to "lock" keyword.URL?

    On Nov 22, 7:29*pm, "Bill J." wrote:
    > On Nov 22, 2:47*pm, Stefan Pradel wrote:
    >
    > > Bill J. schrieb:

    > > > On my parent's computers, the preference "keyword.URL" keeps getting
    > > > hijacked by third party programs. I don't have direct control over
    > > > their machines, but both they and I know what string they want to be
    > > > the default search in keyword.URL.

    > > > Given all of that, is there any way to "lock" keyword.URL, so that it
    > > > can only be changed directly by a real user, and never by a third
    > > > party program without explicit user consent?

    > > IMHO the solution to such a problem should be eliminating the malicious
    > > programs, instead of changing settings in other programs running on the
    > > machine.
    > > Tell your parents to install antivirus software and such. That should help.

    > I have already tried that. Many of the programs that hijack
    > keyword.URL are not considered malware though.
    >
    > What I'd really like is a way to do what I asked, lock the access to
    > keyword.URL.
    >
    > Failing that, I'd like to see a definitive, provable statement that
    > what I want is completely impossible.

    Well, does anyone else have any thoughts on this? I could really use a
    persistent solution for this which I can set when I visit my parents
    and doesn't require my attention thereafter.

  5. Re: Is there a way to "lock" keyword.URL?

    One solution would be to create a user.js file that contains that
    about:config preference in it with the static value you desire.
    Easiest way is to ensure the preference is properly set and exit
    Firefox. Then copy/paste prefs.js to user.js. Edit user.js and
    remove whatever you don't want to make static, leaving only what you
    want to keep static (i.e. home page for some people, keyword.url,
    etc). Save the file and you are done. This won't stop something from
    changing it during a browsing session. However when you exit Firefox
    any settings in user.js are re-written to prefs.js, thus resetting it
    to your desired static setting.

    user.js file is more likely used in corporate environments. However
    some could use it in a home environment to prevent kids (or
    parents ) from permanently changing certain settings.

    JB

+ Reply to Thread