Profile Folder on FF3 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Profile Folder on FF3 - Mozilla ; I have just installed the newest version of FF3 on a Windows XPPro SP3 laptop. I am trying to locate my profile folder so that I can drag the bookmarks.html file I am currently using in FF2.0.0.20 on my Win98SE ...

  1. Profile Folder on FF3

    I have just installed the newest version of FF3 on a Windows XPPro SP3
    laptop. I am trying to locate my profile folder so that I can drag the
    bookmarks.html file I am currently using in FF2.0.0.20 on my Win98SE
    desktop over the bookmarks.html file in FF3 to replace it with the
    numerous bookmarks I am currently using. I just can't seem to locate
    my profile folder in FF3. In 98SE it's in C:/Windows/Applications Data/
    Mozilla, but there is no such folder in XPPro. Can you please tell me
    where I can locate my FF3 profile folder. I am not much of a techie so
    please make your reply easy to follow. Thanks, Ken.

  2. Re: Profile Folder on FF3

    On Oct 14, 7:51*pm, propman wrote:
    > pixturesk wrote:
    > > I have just installed the newest version of FF3 on a Windows XPPro SP3
    > > laptop. I am trying to locate my profile folder so that I can drag the
    > > bookmarks.html file I am currently using in FF2.0.0.20 on my Win98SE
    > > desktop over the bookmarks.html file in FF3 to replace it with the
    > > numerous bookmarks I am currently using. I just can't seem to locate
    > > my profile folder in FF3. In 98SE it's in C:/Windows/Applications Data/
    > > Mozilla, but there is no such folder in XPPro. Can you please tell me
    > > where I can locate my FF3 profile folder. I am not much of a techie so
    > > please make your reply easy to follow. Thanks, Ken.

    > http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...d_your_profile

    Thanks propman. That link got me to my FF3 profile folder.

  3. Re: Profile Folder on FF3

    On Oct 15, 3:40*am, squaredancer wrote:
    > On 15.10.2009 01:03, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused *pixturesk to
    > generate the following:? :
    >
    > > I have just installed the newest version of FF3 on a Windows XPPro SP3
    > > laptop. I am trying to locate my profile folder so that I can drag the
    > > bookmarks.html file I am currently using in FF2.0.0.20 on my Win98SE
    > > desktop over the bookmarks.html file in FF3 to replace it with the
    > > numerous bookmarks I am currently using. I just can't seem to locate
    > > my profile folder in FF3. In 98SE it's in C:/Windows/Applications Data/
    > > Mozilla, but there is no such folder in XPPro. Can you please tell me
    > > where I can locate my FF3 profile folder. I am not much of a techie so
    > > please make your reply easy to follow. Thanks, Ken.

    > but neither the reply from propman nor David will help you any - FF3.*
    > does NOT have a bookmarks-html file....
    >
    > You will need help (from this group) to IMPORT your old bookmarks.html
    > into the new sqlite database format - and you have to be VERY CAREFUL
    > how you do it.....
    >
    > reg

    Thanks reg. From the article I was able to get to my profile folder
    which has a bookmark.html (FF icon) file. I was able to drag my
    bookmark.html icon file from FF 2.0.0.20 right over the icon in FF3
    asks me if I want to replace the FF3 file with my much larger FF2
    file, I say OK, task accomplished. Now in FF3.0.10 all my FF2
    bookmarks are there working perfectly. Ken.

  4. Re: Profile Folder on FF3

    On Oct 15, 4:57*pm, squaredancer wrote:
    > On 15.10.2009 17:07, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused *pixturesk to
    > generate the following:? :
    >

    > > On Oct 15, 3:40 am, squaredancer wrote:

    > >> On 15.10.2009 01:03, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused *pixturesk to
    > >> generate the following:? :

    > >> but neither the reply from propman nor David will help you any - FF3.*
    > >> does NOT have a bookmarks-html file....

    > >> You will need help (from this group) to IMPORT your old bookmarks.html
    > >> into the new sqlite database format - and you have to be VERY CAREFUL
    > >> how you do it.....

    > >> reg

    > > Thanks reg. From the article I was able to get to my profile folder
    > > which has a bookmark.html (FF icon) file. I was able to drag my
    > > bookmark.html icon file from FF 2.0.0.20 right over the icon in FF3
    > > asks me if I want to replace the FF3 file with my much larger FF2
    > > file, I say OK, task accomplished. Now in FF3.0.10 all my FF2
    > > bookmarks are there working perfectly. Ken.

    > lucky you - glad to hear that there is an "easy" way to do it.
    > Keep us posted for the next couple of days, so that we know how things
    > progress! (learning curve *lol*)
    >
    > reg

    Guys. I just copied the bookmarks.html file from FF2.0.0.20 to a usb
    key, then put it on the desktop of my FF3 3.0.10 laptop, then went to
    my profile folder in FF3, drag the bookmark.html FF icon over the same
    file, got a window asking if I want to replace my 7kb FF3
    bookmark.html file with my 140kb FF2 bookmark.html file, I click yes,
    that's it, I could see very quickly the switch take place. When I next
    launch FF3, my 400-500 FF2 bookmarks are there. Using it all day,
    works fine. Ken.

  5. Re: Profile Folder on FF3

    On Oct 15, 8:39 pm, propman wrote:
    > pixturesk wrote:
    > > On Oct 15, 4:57 pm, squaredancer wrote:
    > >> On 15.10.2009 17:07, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused pixturesk to
    > >> generate the following:? :

    > >> lucky you - glad to hear that there is an "easy" way to do it.
    > >> Keep us posted for the next couple of days, so that we know how things
    > >> progress! (learning curve *lol*)

    > >> reg

    > > Guys. I just copied the bookmarks.html file from FF2.0.0.20 to a usb
    > > key, then put it on the desktop of my FF3 3.0.10 laptop, then went to
    > > my profile folder in FF3, drag the bookmark.html FF icon over the same
    > > file, got a window asking if I want to replace my 7kb FF3
    > > bookmark.html file with my 140kb FF2 bookmark.html file, I click yes,
    > > that's it, I could see very quickly the switch take place. When I next
    > > launch FF3, my 400-500 FF2 bookmarks are there. Using it all day,
    > > works fine. Ken.

    > Yep, understood that from your first message...but I am still
    > interested in if your bookmarks toolbar icons/links were actually put
    > into place on the toolbar. The reason I am curious is that, using the FF
    > "import" method rather than the method you used, results in a folder
    > containing all the imported bookmarks being tagged onto the end of
    > existing folders in FF. When using the old method of just replacing the
    > bookmarks.html with the previous FF version's bookmark.html then all
    > folders, bookmark toolbar icon/links displayed exactly like the previous
    > version.
    >
    > Now from what I understand, the "old" method was not possible with newer
    > FF versions due to the change of using sqlite database files....but if
    > your recent experience via the drag/drop provided an identical setup
    > regarding bookmark folder placements and bookmarks toolbar etc, with
    > respect to your previous setup then it would appear that my
    > understanding is wrong. Interest in hearing your response....thanks! :-)

    Propman. First of all, let me state that I am no techie, not part of
    the computer generation, so everything I attempt is usually trial +
    error. If I just copy to or drag into the FF3 profile folder it often
    refuses to work, there is something about dragging it exactly over the
    existing FF3 file which brings up the replace window immediately, just
    my experience. Also, this works with the Mac + Linux OS I am running
    as well, but in each of these cases I am using FF 2.0.0.20. Perhaps
    that's the reason, perhaps my way works better with FF2. Ken.

+ Reply to Thread