Dragging a tab -- new window? (page reload terror) - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Dragging a tab -- new window? (page reload terror) - Mozilla ; It seems Firefox now has a new horrible feature that makes a tab open in new window if I accidentally drag it gently. This happens a lot of times when I'm just clicking on my tabs, because they're crazily sensitive ...

  1. Dragging a tab -- new window? (page reload terror)

    It seems Firefox now has a new horrible feature that makes a tab open
    in new window if I accidentally drag it gently. This happens a lot of
    times when I'm just clicking on my tabs, because they're crazily
    sensitive to even slightest drag.

    The effects of this can be disastrous, which the developers apparently
    are blind to notice. Opening the tab in a new window this way makes
    it... reload! As a result if I'm using some web application based on
    an applet running on a page, the applet reloads too and all the data
    gets lost (like your work with online graphics editor). This also
    applies to web games where you just lose whole progress as a result
    and lose connection with the server if it was multiplayer.

    Please help me find a way to disable this terrible feature. If you can
    additionally suggest me some way to prevent other sorts of accidental
    page reloads, that would be great. (Like accidentally clicking the
    reload button when trying to access the menu). I wish there was just
    some addon that I could configure to work on selected web pages, warn
    me every time I reload a page and allow me to cancel it. Good thing I
    already found out how to disable Backspace key from doing the
    browser's "Back" action. It caused the same kind of trouble.

  2. Re: Dragging a tab -- new window? (page reload terror)

    Thank you for the replies. I installed the fix and disabled this
    stupid feature for good. I'm mad at Mozzila developers for being
    idiots and introducing this in the first place.

    My main problem wasn't the mere annoyance of having to drag detached
    tabs back. But the page code was once more loaded in the new window
    (no new http query, but html was executed in the new window again). If
    the page contained a Java applet (and I use such pages often), the
    applet was getting reloaded, losing all data / connection it had with
    server. I couldn't afford that happen.

+ Reply to Thread