some firefox addon consumes a lot CPU power, how to find it. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on some firefox addon consumes a lot CPU power, how to find it. - Mozilla ; Dear Friends It seems that some add-ons in my Firefox consumes a lot CPU power, but I have no good idea to find it. I observed 1. I usually open a browse and open 4 or more tabs whenever I'm ...

  1. some firefox addon consumes a lot CPU power, how to find it.

    Dear Friends

    It seems that some add-ons in my Firefox consumes a lot CPU power, but
    I have no good idea to find it.

    I observed
    1. I usually open a browse and open 4 or more tabs whenever I'm
    working. If I use Firefox, usually the whole system becomes very slow
    after 2 or 6 hours. At the time, my CPU is occupied 100%. Around 30%
    is occupied by Firefox, and 30% is from services.exe.
    2. If I reboot and use Firefox again, the system will be fine for
    another couple of hours. Then the same problem appears.
    3. I tested with Google Chrome. I used all day (about >12hr) for two
    days, and the CPU was normal. No slow down as observed and no reboot
    was required.
    4. I opened msconfig and made sure that the index service is
    disabled.

    So, my guess is that some add-ons in my Firefox start a computation
    intensive task automatically. Any one has comments on my guess? What
    is the difference between Firefox and Chrome anyway?

    If my guess is correct, the question is how to solve the problem.
    Since I have many add-ons, if I uninstall them one by one and try each
    configuration for 2 days, it will take me about a month to figure out
    the problematic add-on. My question is that how to locate the problem
    quickly? Any one experienced the same problem? Thanks.

    Thanks in advance.

    PS. my Firefox version is 3.0.14. I installed the following add-ons:
    1. All-in-one Gestures
    2. Delicious Bookmarks
    3. Dictionary
    4. FEBE
    5. FoxLingo
    6. ToxTab
    7. Gmail Notifier
    8. KidZui
    9. Meebo
    10. Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant
    11. Personas for Firefox
    12. Read it Later
    13. Toodledo
    14. Zotero

  2. Re: some firefox addon consumes a lot CPU power, how to find it.

    On Sep 11, 10:32*am, "Terry R." wrote:
    > The date and time was Friday, September 11, 2009 7:20:27 AM, and on a
    > whim, zen pounded out on the keyboard:
    >

    > >DearFriends

    > > Itseemsthatsomeadd-onsinmyFirefoxconsumesalotCPUpower, but
    > > I have no good idea to find it.

    > > I observed
    > > 1. I usually open a browse and open 4 or more tabs whenever I'm
    > > working. If I useFirefox, usually the whole system becomes very slow
    > > after 2 or 6 hours. At the time,myCPUis occupied 100%. Around 30%
    > > is occupied byFirefox, and 30% is from services.exe.
    > > 2. If I reboot and useFirefoxagain, the system will be fine for
    > > another couple of hours. Then the same problem appears.
    > > 3. I tested with Google Chrome. I used all day (about >12hr) for two
    > > days, and theCPUwas normal. No slow down as observed and no reboot
    > > was required.
    > > 4. I opened msconfig and made sure that the index service is
    > > disabled.

    > > So,myguess is thatsomeadd-onsinmyFirefoxstart a computation
    > > intensive task automatically. Any one has comments onmyguess? What
    > > is the difference betweenFirefoxand Chrome anyway?

    > > Ifmyguess is correct, the question is how to solve the problem.
    > > Since I have manyadd-ons, if I uninstall them one by one and try each
    > > configuration for 2 days, it will take me about a month to figure out
    > > the problematic add-on.Myquestion is that how to locate the problem
    > > quickly? Any one experienced the same problem? Thanks.

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > > PS.myFirefoxversion is 3.0.14. I installed the followingadd-ons:
    > > 1. All-in-one Gestures
    > > 2. Delicious Bookmarks
    > > 3. Dictionary
    > > 4. FEBE
    > > 5. FoxLingo
    > > 6. ToxTab
    > > 7. Gmail Notifier
    > > 8. KidZui
    > > 9. Meebo
    > > 10. * * * *Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant
    > > 11. * * * *Personas forFirefox
    > > 12. * * * *Read it Later
    > > 13. * * * *Toodledo
    > > 14. * * * *Zotero

    > Hi Zen,
    >
    > I would disable half of your extensions first. Then test. *IfCPUis
    > high, you know the culprit is in the enabled half. *If not, you can
    > conclude it is probably in the disabled half. *So disable the first
    > group and enable the second group. *You can then half that group and
    > continue on until you narrow it down in three or four sessions.
    > (7/4/2/found it).
    >
    > Terry R.
    > --
    > Anti-spam measures are included inmyemail address.
    > Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

    Nice idea. Binary search. Thanks.

    Zen

  3. Re: some firefox addon consumes a lot CPU power, how to find it.

    On Sep 11, 11:05*am, prop...@nowhere.ca wrote:
    > Terry R. wrote:
    > > The date and time was Friday, September 11, 2009 7:20:27 AM, and on a
    > > whim, zen pounded out on the keyboard:

    > >>DearFriends

    > >> Itseemsthatsomeadd-onsinmyFirefoxconsumesalotCPUpower, but
    > >> I have no good idea to find it.

    > >> I observed
    > >> 1. I usually open a browse and open 4 or more tabs whenever I'm
    > >> working. If I useFirefox, usually the whole system becomes very slow
    > >> after 2 or 6 hours. At the time,myCPUis occupied 100%. Around 30%
    > >> is occupied byFirefox, and 30% is from services.exe.
    > >> 2. If I reboot and useFirefoxagain, the system will be fine for
    > >> another couple of hours. Then the same problem appears.
    > >> 3. I tested with Google Chrome. I used all day (about >12hr) for two
    > >> days, and theCPUwas normal. No slow down as observed and no reboot
    > >> was required.
    > >> 4. I opened msconfig and made sure that the index service is
    > >> disabled.

    > >> So,myguess is thatsomeadd-onsinmyFirefoxstart a computation
    > >> intensive task automatically. Any one has comments onmyguess? What
    > >> is the difference betweenFirefoxand Chrome anyway?

    > >> Ifmyguess is correct, the question is how to solve the problem.
    > >> Since I have manyadd-ons, if I uninstall them one by one and try each
    > >> configuration for 2 days, it will take me about a month to figure out
    > >> the problematic add-on.Myquestion is that how to locate the problem
    > >> quickly? Any one experienced the same problem? Thanks.

    > >> Thanks in advance.

    > >> PS.myFirefoxversion is 3.0.14. I installed the followingadd-ons:
    > >> 1. * *All-in-one Gestures
    > >> 2. * *Delicious Bookmarks
    > >> 3. * *Dictionary
    > >> 4. * *FEBE
    > >> 5. * *FoxLingo
    > >> 6. * *ToxTab
    > >> 7. * *Gmail Notifier
    > >> 8. * *KidZui
    > >> 9. * *Meebo
    > >> 10. * *Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant
    > >> 11. * *Personas forFirefox
    > >> 12. * *Read it Later
    > >> 13. * *Toodledo
    > >> 14. * *Zotero

    > > Hi Zen,

    > > I would disable half of your extensions first. Then test. *IfCPUis
    > > high, you know the culprit is in the enabled half. *If not, you can
    > > conclude it is probably in the disabled half. *So disable the first
    > > group and enable the second group. *You can then half that group and
    > > continue on until you narrow it down in three or four sessions.
    > > (7/4/2/found it).

    > > Terry R.

    > Just a note....besides this good advice from Terry, you might want to
    > try running in FF's Safe Mode first to see if it is actually an add-in
    > that's causing the problem.

    Great. I'll try.

    BTW, currently, I only enabled the following add-ons and the system
    seems to work just fine.
    All-in-one Gestures
    Delicious Bookmarks
    Gmail Notifier