crarr causes extra white space - Mozilla

This is a discussion on crarr causes extra white space - Mozilla ; I've just noticed that when I have the HTML entity ↵ (carriage return arrow) in a line of text on a Web page, the glyph is displayed as expected but the whole line is displayed with extra white space above ...

  1. crarr causes extra white space

    I've just noticed that when I have the HTML entity ↵ (carriage
    return arrow) in a line of text on a Web page, the glyph is displayed
    as expected but the whole line is displayed with extra white space
    above and below. This seems odd. Is it supposed to happen?

    This is with Firefox 3.5.2 under Windows XP. I never noticed it before
    but can't be sure whether the extra white space was there in previous
    versions.

  2. Re: crarr causes extra white space

    On Aug 20, 5:01*am, Ralph Fox <-rf-...@-.invalid> wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:15:41 -0700 (PDT), in message <9e1f455a-9f05-4a28-b52a-a2ee56b2b...@g1g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>
    >
    > Robert wrote:
    > > I've just noticed that when I have the HTML entity ↵ (carriage
    > > return arrow) in a line of text on a Web page, the glyph is displayed
    > > as expected but the whole line is displayed with extra white space
    > > above and below. This seems odd. Is it supposed to happen?

    > > This is with Firefox 3.5.2 under Windows XP. I never noticed it before
    > > but can't be sure whether the extra white space was there in previous
    > > versions.

    > Which font are you displaying the text in?
    > You may need to provide more information for people to reproduce this.
    >
    > I have tried to reproduce this in Firefox 3.5.2, without too much luck.
    > With the first 6 fonts, I saw no extra white space. *With the 7th font,
    > "Verdana", there was a little extra space above, but no extra space below..
    >
    > What I think could be happening is that your chosen font does not contain
    > the "↵" character (U+21B5). *So font substitution selects another font
    > for this one character, and that other font has different metrics.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Ralph

    Ralph, thank you very much for trying to reproduce my problem.
    I should have mentioned that the extra space that I see is equivalent
    to a full one or two blank lines.
    For me, the extra space happens above and below when I use Times New
    Roman, Bitstream Vera Serif, Cambria, DejaVu Serif, Georgia and MS
    Serif, and probably others. With Verdana I see the same as you, just a
    little extra white space above. With OpenSymbol it looks just as it
    should, while with Cambria Math there's a lot of extra space between
    every line.
    This is consistent with your suggestion that the problem is with a
    font substitution. It seems that Cambria Math is being used and that
    there's something dreadfully wrong with either its font metrics or the
    way they're being interpreted. I see a similar problem in
    OpenOffice.org Writer when Cambria Math glyphs are used.
    Ralph, do you have the Cambria Math font on your system?
    Is there some way of controlling which font is used when a
    substitution is necessary?
    I've put a test page at http://audilab.bmed.mcgill.ca/~funnell/crarr_test.html
    just in case this is somehow related to my Web server.

+ Reply to Thread