Re: how can I limit the number of tabs?! - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: how can I limit the number of tabs?! - Mozilla ; On May 14, 6:30*pm, "David McRitchie" wrote: > "Spiderman" wrote: > > I need to limit the number of opened tabs. I want that firefox don't > > open more tabs as I "say" him. But I don't want that ...

  1. Re: how can I limit the number of tabs?!

    On May 14, 6:30*pm, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    > "Spiderman" wrote:
    > > I need to limit the number of opened tabs. I want that firefox don't
    > > open more tabs as I "say" him. But I don't want that I can open many
    > > tabs and the oldest would be closed after some time to hold the limit. I
    > > want to open for example 10 tabs and no more. Is there a setting in
    > > about:config? or an add-on? about:config would be better than a add-on.

    > I don't know of any Firefox setting that would do that, but perhaps
    > more important is **why* you would want to do that, *and *what* *you
    > expect to happen when you've reached the limit? * Do nothing, issue
    > a warning, continue in a new window.
    >
    > What I would suggest is installing *"Tab Count" *or * "Tabs Counter" so that
    > you can see a tab count *on a toolbar.
    > *https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/4346
    >
    > I would not be surprised if a single article had me open 20 tabs to
    > be read after reading the main article. * I often open a bookmark folder
    > of blogs with about 20 bookmarks in such a folder. * I have several sets
    > of those for reading at different times.
    >
    > If you are having a problem with lots of tabs open, check
    > *http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions
    > and the types of webpages you are opening (see next *paragraph)
    >
    > BTW, *having lots of tabs open should not affect use of Firefox much
    > unless you have lots of *such things as *feeds, *or *web pages that refresh
    > themselves, *such as news pages, *or weather pages, *as there
    > is only one Firefox open. * I would not expect the same from Google
    > Chrome browser which has another instance open for each tab if I
    > understand correctly and there would be both advantages and
    > disadvantages.
    > --
    > HTH,
    > David McRitchie, * extensions I use are briefly documented on my site
    > Firefox Custom: *http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

    I find a crucial and important feature.
    Being too sporadic in one's thinking might diverge one's concentrated
    effort. On top of which older tabs don't get an alert for attention,
    and thing get slow.
    I think ti'll be great to have a max tab limit, with an alert, and a
    way for old tabs to pop up a reminder or self terminated if unattended
    after a second reminder.

    A feature request or a firefox addon?
    I believe such a thing should be a core feature.

  2. Re: how can I limit the number of tabs?!

    On Jun 8, 8:04*pm, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    > "Metaholic" wrote in messagenews:298d03a3-97a2-400d-929c-177168ac9021@k8g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...

    > >> I don't know of any Firefox setting that would do that, but perhaps
    > >> more important is **why* you would want to do that, *and *what* *you
    > >> expect to happen when you've reached the limit? * Do nothing, issue
    > >> a warning, continue in a new window.

    > >> What I would suggest is installing *"Tab Count" *or * "Tabs Counter" so that
    > >> you can see a tab count *on a toolbar.
    > >> *https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/4346

    > >> I would not be surprised if a single article had me open 20 tabs to
    > >> be read after reading the main article. * I often open a bookmark folder
    > >> of blogs with about 20 bookmarks in such a folder. * I have several sets
    > >> of those for reading at different times.

    > >> If you are having a problem with lots of tabs open, check
    > >> *http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions
    > >> and the types of webpages you are opening (see next *paragraph)

    > >> BTW, *having lots of tabs open should not affect use of Firefox much
    > >> unless you have lots of *such things as *feeds, *or *web pagesthat refresh
    > >> themselves, *such as news pages, *or weather pages, *as there
    > >> is only one Firefox open. * I would not expect the same from Google
    > >> Chrome browser which has another instance open for each tab if I
    > >> understand correctly and there would be both advantages and
    > >> disadvantages.
    > >> --
    > >> HTH,
    > >> David McRitchie, * extensions I use are briefly documented on my site
    > >> Firefox Custom: *http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

    > > I find a crucial and important *feature.
    > > Being too sporadic in one's thinking might diverge one's concentrated
    > > effort. On top of which older tabs don't get an alert for attention,
    > > and thing get slow.
    > > I think ti'll be great to have a max tab limit, with an alert, and a
    > > way for old tabs to pop up a reminder or self terminated if unattended
    > > after a second reminder.

    > > A feature request or a firefox addon?
    > > I believe such a thing *should be a core feature.

    > Though you are not the original poster, it seems you both may
    > be experiencing problems due to certain sites.
    >
    > I doubt that you will see a slowdown simply with more tabs,
    > certainly not with 50 or under *(once loaded) if you have a computer purchased
    > in last three years. * What will slow you down is if you load pages
    > that *automatically refresh (such as some ads or newsfeeds) *or are
    > currently running a flash file . * *

    dude, that's not an answer.
    Almost all website autorefresh, have ads and many have flash.

+ Reply to Thread