Firefox 3.0.10 forced me to use proxy? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox 3.0.10 forced me to use proxy? - Mozilla ; Actually this problem is wierd. Once, I used an ezproxy (web based proxy) to access certain journals through our university's ezproxy server. When I was in another network I do not want to use the proxy, but fireforx forced me ...

  1. Firefox 3.0.10 forced me to use proxy?

    Actually this problem is wierd. Once, I used an ezproxy (web based
    proxy) to access certain journals through our university's ezproxy
    server. When I was in another network I do not want to use the proxy,
    but fireforx forced me to!

    Whenever, I type e.g. "www.nature.com" into the address space firefox
    will change it to "https://xxx.yyyy.edu/login?url=http://
    www.nature.com/" then ask me for the password.

    I scrutinized each setting tab but couldn't find an option to stop
    this behavior.

    Please help!

  2. Re: Firefox 3.0.10 forced me to use proxy?

    On 5月23日, 午前10:01, Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > On 5/22/2009 3:46 AM, wileyregist...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Actually this problem is wierd. Once, I used an ezproxy (web based
    > > proxy) to access certain journals through our university's ezproxy
    > > server. When I was in another network I do not want to use the proxy,
    > > but fireforx forced me to!

    > > Whenever, I type e.g. "www.nature.com" into the address space firefox
    > > will change it to "https://xxx.yyyy.edu/login?url=http://
    > >www.nature.com/" then ask me for the password.

    > > I scrutinized each setting tab but couldn't find an option to stop
    > > this behavior.

    > > Please help!

    > Tools>>Options>>Advanced>>Network Click on the button "Settings" near
    > the top of the window and check "No Proxy" or "Auto Detect Proxy
    > Settings for this Network"
    >
    > Irwin
    >
    > --
    > Please do not use my email address to make requests for help.
    > Knowledge Base:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Main_Page
    >
    > Irwin
    >
    > --
    > Knowledge Base:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Main_Page

    Dear Irwin

    Thanks for your reply.

    The problematic behavior is not about this proxy setting. It occurs
    only to certain websites where I have accessed before through an
    ezproxy. I think this feature (though annoying) is added in version
    3 of firefox.

    If I click on a link (or type the address into the address bar) to a
    journal site e.g. "www.nature.com", firefox will automatically change
    it to "https://xxx.yyyy.edu/login?url=http://www.nature.com/". I did
    a grep for the string "yyyy.edu" on the directory "~Application Data
    \Mozilla\Firefox" but couldn't find where firefox stores the proxy
    info.

    regards

  3. Re: Firefox 3.0.10 forced me to use proxy?

    This very problem seems to have been asked before in the firefox
    support forum but there was also no answer.

    http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view...7354&forumId=1

  4. Re: Firefox 3.0.10 forced me to use proxy?

    On 524, 2:39, "gatolandia.chile"
    wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald escribi:
    >
    > > On 5/22/2009 3:46 AM, wileyregist...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >> Actually this problem is wierd. *Once, I used an ezproxy (web based
    > >> proxy) to access certain journals through our university's ezproxy
    > >> server. *When I was in another network I do not want to use the proxy,
    > >> but fireforx forced me to!

    > >> Whenever, I type e.g. "www.nature.com" into the address space firefox
    > >> will change it to "https://xxx.yyyy.edu/login?url=http://
    > >>www.nature.com/" then ask me for the password.

    > >> I scrutinized each setting tab but couldn't find an option to stop
    > >> this behavior.

    > >> Please help!

    > > Tools>>Options>>Advanced>>Network * Click on the button "Settings"near
    > > the top of the window and check "No Proxy" or "Auto Detect Proxy
    > > Settings for this Network"

    > > Irwin

    > Go to the history, search for xxx.yyy.edu, select all entries and delete
    > all(righ click and delete)
    > You "problem" is the "awesomebar", when you navigate using the proxy the
    > entries are reminder.
    > If you delete the entries in the history and full type the websie entry,
    > the suggestions will be more exact with the time.

    Thanks for your reply.

    Sorry for not being clear enough. The problematic behavior is
    different from the feature of "asesomebar", at least in two respects:
    1. It does not offer a choice, instead, if I type "www.nature.com"
    into the address bar, it does not offer items in a menu for one to
    choose, instead it directly translates the "www.nature.com" to
    "https://xxx.yyyy.edu/login?url=http://www.nature.com/". No way to
    stop it!

    2. If I click on any link (say after a google search) which directs
    one to "www.nature.com", firefox will automatically convert the link
    to "https://xxx.yyyy.edu/login?url=http://www.nature.com/" and ask me
    for password. It acts like a virus!

    regards
    sc

  5. Re: Firefox 3.0.10 forced me to use proxy?

    On May 24, 3:30*am, wileyregist...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 524, 2:39, "gatolandia.chile"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > Irwin Greenwald escribi:

    > > > Tools>>Options>>Advanced>>Network * Click on the button "Settings" near
    > > > the top of the window and check "No Proxy" or "Auto Detect Proxy
    > > > Settings for this Network"

    > > > Irwin

    > > Go to the history, search for xxx.yyy.edu, select all entries and delete
    > > all(righ click and delete)
    > > You "problem" is the "awesomebar", when you navigate using the proxy the
    > > entries are reminder.
    > > If you delete the entries in the history and full type the websie entry,
    > > the suggestions will be more exact with the time.

    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > Sorry for not being clear enough. *The problematic behavior is
    > different from the feature of "asesomebar", at least in two respects:
    > 1. *It does not offer a choice, instead, if I type "www.nature.com"
    > into the address bar, it does not offer items in a menu for one to
    > choose, instead it directly translates *the "www.nature.com" to
    > "https://xxx.yyyy.edu/login?url=http://www.nature.com/". *No way to
    > stop it!
    >
    > 2. If I click on any link (say after a google search) which directs
    > one to "www.nature.com", firefox will automatically convert the link
    > to "https://xxx.yyyy.edu/login?url=http://www.nature.com/" and ask me
    > for password. *It acts like a virus!
    >
    > regards
    > sc

    Do you have an add-on perhaps from eproxy? If it's happening with
    all websites, then it's most likely the network settings as pointed
    out by Irwin. If it only happens for certain sites, my thoughts are
    it's either:

    an add-on for Firefox

    or

    Internet Options Control panel (does it do it with IE also? If so,
    it's very, very likely to be Internet Options - I thought I read
    somewhere that FF3 now respects some of the settings in there)

    or

    your hosts file has been changed to cause this.

    JB

  6. Re: Firefox 3.0.10 forced me to use proxy?

    On 525, 2:44, Fox on the run wrote:
    > On May 24, 3:30*am, wileyregist...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > On 524, 2:39, "gatolandia.chile"
    > > wrote:

    > > > Irwin Greenwald escribi:

    > > > Go to the history, search for xxx.yyy.edu, select all entries and delete
    > > > all(righ click and delete)
    > > > You "problem" is the "awesomebar", when you navigate using the proxy the
    > > > entries are reminder.
    > > > If you delete the entries in the history and full type the websie entry,
    > > > the suggestions will be more exact with the time.

    > > Thanks for your reply.

    > > Sorry for not being clear enough. *The problematic behavior is
    > > different from the feature of "asesomebar", at least in two respects:
    > > 1. *It does not offer a choice, instead, if I type "www.nature.com"
    > > into the address bar, it does not offer items in a menu for one to
    > > choose, instead it directly translates *the "www.nature.com" to
    > > "https://xxx.yyyy.edu/login?url=http://www.nature.com/". *No wayto
    > > stop it!

    > > 2. If I click on any link (say after a google search) which directs
    > > one to "www.nature.com", firefox will automatically convert the link
    > > to "https://xxx.yyyy.edu/login?url=http://www.nature.com/" and ask me
    > > for password. *It acts like a virus!

    > > regards
    > > sc

    > Do you have an add-on perhaps from eproxy? * *If it's happeningwith
    > all websites, then it's most likely the network settings as pointed
    > out by Irwin. *If it only happens for certain sites, my thoughts are
    > it's either:
    >
    > an add-on for Firefox
    >
    > or
    >
    > Internet Options Control panel (does it do it with IE also? *If so,
    > it's very, very likely to be Internet Options - I thought I read
    > somewhere that FF3 now respects some of the settings in there)
    >
    > or
    >
    > your hosts file has been changed to cause this.
    >
    > JB

    Dear JB

    The culprit is indeed an addon. It is the citation management
    software Zotero (www.zotero.org).

    Since I upgraded Firefox to 3 and installed Zotero at almost the same
    time, and I do not expect a literature management software would try
    to mess with the proxy, I mistakenly accused Firefox.

    I searched the C: drive and the registry for the string "yyy.edu" and
    the only place it appears is related to Zotero. Then goolge give the
    following link: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/...arys-ez-proxy/

    Thank Irwin, gatolandia.chile and JB for you guy's help.

    regards
    sc

  7. Re: Firefox 3.0.10 forced me to use proxy?

    On May 25, 12:03*am, wileyregist...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 525, 2:44, Fox on the run wrote:
    >

    > > On May 24, 3:30*am, wileyregist...@gmail.com wrote:

    > > > Thanks for your reply.

    > > > Sorry for not being clear enough. *The problematic behavior is
    > > > different from the feature of "asesomebar", at least in two respects:
    > > > 1. *It does not offer a choice, instead, if I type "www.nature.com"
    > > > into the address bar, it does not offer items in a menu for one to
    > > > choose, instead it directly translates *the "www.nature.com" to
    > > > "https://xxx.yyyy.edu/login?url=http://www.nature.com/". *No way to
    > > > stop it!

    > > > 2. If I click on any link (say after a google search) which directs
    > > > one to "www.nature.com", firefox will automatically convert the link
    > > > to "https://xxx.yyyy.edu/login?url=http://www.nature.com/" and ask me
    > > > for password. *It acts like a virus!

    > > > regards
    > > > sc

    > > Do you have an add-on perhaps from eproxy? * *If it's happening with
    > > all websites, then it's most likely the network settings as pointed
    > > out by Irwin. *If it only happens for certain sites, my thoughts are
    > > it's either:

    > > an add-on for Firefox

    > > or

    > > Internet Options Control panel (does it do it with IE also? *If so,
    > > it's very, very likely to be Internet Options - I thought I read
    > > somewhere that FF3 now respects some of the settings in there)

    > > or

    > > your hosts file has been changed to cause this.

    > > JB

    > Dear JB
    >
    > The culprit is indeed an addon. *It is the citation management
    > software Zotero (www.zotero.org).
    >
    > Since I upgraded Firefox to 3 and installed Zotero at almost the same
    > time, and I do not expect a literature management software would try
    > to mess with the proxy, *I mistakenly accused Firefox.
    >
    > I searched the C: drive and the registry for the string "yyy.edu" and
    > the only place it appears is related to Zotero. *Then goolge give the
    > following link:http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/...ted-to-my-libr...
    >
    > Thank Irwin, gatolandia.chile and JB for you guy's help.
    >
    > regards
    > sc

    Thanks for taking the time to update us on the solution.
    Coincidentally I just started FF on my laptop and the add-on Zotero
    popped up to be updated (I installed it once some time back and played
    with it - nice add-on especially for people doing research online and
    need to then compile a bibliography of their sources). I'll have to
    keep an eye on that. Like yourself I am confused as to why such an
    add-on would mess with the proxy. Did you determine what setting
    within its options causes that so I can see if I can duplicate it
    here? You may have found your culprit, but it would be good to have
    that anomaly validated by someone else just to be certain it's that
    and not something else or a combination of things.

    JB

+ Reply to Thread