"Unwanted URL" TIA - Mozilla

This is a discussion on "Unwanted URL" TIA - Mozilla ; I would like info on how to block an unwanted url, please, on Firefox. TIA...

  1. "Unwanted URL" TIA

    I would like info on how to block an unwanted url, please, on Firefox.
    TIA

  2. Re: "Unwanted URL" TIA

    On Apr 30, 4:27*am, sandy58 wrote:
    > I would like info on how to block an unwanted url, please, on Firefox.
    > TIA

    A quick google for "firefox url blocking" yielded a few suggestions
    about entering the URL you want to block into your hosts file
    (location varies depending on if you are using Windows, Linux, or
    Mac). I had forgotten about that but that is another effective way to
    block a URL for a computer regardless of the browser being used. But
    in that case a person who figures that one out can go and edit the
    hosts file just as easily and remove the blocked URL (and replace it
    when done in order to attempt to mask that they've figured out how to
    circumvent it). Whereas with the router solution, if you have the
    password enabled on your router then unless they guess that, they
    can't go and remove it. Of course if they know the username and
    password for your Internet connection they could simply disconnect
    from the router and connect directly to the modem to get out. And if
    there are people running open wireless in the area and you have
    wireless on your computer they can connect (albeit possibly not
    lawfully) to an open access point to get out and circumvent the home
    router thus the controls on it.

    JB

  3. Re: "Unwanted URL" TIA

    Thanks, JB for the prompt reply & helpfull advice. I'll be back with
    results.
    sandy58

    Fox on the run wrote:
    > On Apr 30, 4:27*am, sandy58 wrote:
    > > I would like info on how to block an unwanted url, please, on Firefox.
    > > TIA

    > A quick google for "firefox url blocking" yielded a few suggestions
    > about entering the URL you want to block into your hosts file
    > (location varies depending on if you are using Windows, Linux, or
    > Mac). I had forgotten about that but that is another effective way to
    > block a URL for a computer regardless of the browser being used. But
    > in that case a person who figures that one out can go and edit the
    > hosts file just as easily and remove the blocked URL (and replace it
    > when done in order to attempt to mask that they've figured out how to
    > circumvent it). Whereas with the router solution, if you have the
    > password enabled on your router then unless they guess that, they
    > can't go and remove it. Of course if they know the username and
    > password for your Internet connection they could simply disconnect
    > from the router and connect directly to the modem to get out. And if
    > there are people running open wireless in the area and you have
    > wireless on your computer they can connect (albeit possibly not
    > lawfully) to an open access point to get out and circumvent the home
    > router thus the controls on it.
    >
    > JB

  4. Re: "Unwanted URL" TIA

    I'm still waiting for that url to appear so I can copy it. :-)

    Fox on the run wrote:
    > On Apr 30, 4:27*am, sandy58 wrote:
    > > I would like info on how to block an unwanted url, please, on Firefox.
    > > TIA

    > A quick google for "firefox url blocking" yielded a few suggestions
    > about entering the URL you want to block into your hosts file
    > (location varies depending on if you are using Windows, Linux, or
    > Mac). I had forgotten about that but that is another effective way to
    > block a URL for a computer regardless of the browser being used. But
    > in that case a person who figures that one out can go and edit the
    > hosts file just as easily and remove the blocked URL (and replace it
    > when done in order to attempt to mask that they've figured out how to
    > circumvent it). Whereas with the router solution, if you have the
    > password enabled on your router then unless they guess that, they
    > can't go and remove it. Of course if they know the username and
    > password for your Internet connection they could simply disconnect
    > from the router and connect directly to the modem to get out. And if
    > there are people running open wireless in the area and you have
    > wireless on your computer they can connect (albeit possibly not
    > lawfully) to an open access point to get out and circumvent the home
    > router thus the controls on it.
    >
    > JB

+ Reply to Thread