The "Firefox is already running, but not responding" error - Mozilla

This is a discussion on The "Firefox is already running, but not responding" error - Mozilla ; Closing Firefox and re-starting it often causes this error: "Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system." This error has been present as ...

  1. The "Firefox is already running, but not responding" error

    Closing Firefox and re-starting it often causes this error:

    "Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new
    window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart
    your system."

    This error has been present as long as I can remember. It occurs both
    on Windows and Linux. Firefox 3.0.9 has many fancy new features, but
    this dialog box still remains.

    An application should be made to respond. Furthermore, why is there no
    visible window open for the browser if it is still running?

  2. Re: The "Firefox is already running, but not responding" error

    But... other applications don't complain about this. I can close
    Internet Explorer and re-start it very fast, but that doesn't open an
    error box.

  3. Re: The "Firefox is already running, but not responding" error

    On 25 Apr, 19:31, Chris Ilias wrote:

    > Have you read
    > ?

    "Firefox needs a little time to shut down completely before you can
    reopen it. If you just closed Firefox a short while earlier, wait a
    few minutes and then try again."

    A few minutes? Why does Firefox need this time when other applications
    don't?

  4. Re: The "Firefox is already running, but not responding" error

    On 25 Apr, 20:26, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > One thing that would help is if users would use
    > File/Exit instead of the window close box as that will NOT terminate
    > subtasks that are waiting for an event, such as a completion of a
    > download...

    I thought File/Exit did the same thing as clicking the [X].

  5. Re: The "Firefox is already running, but not responding" error

    On 25 Apr, 22:26, Pete Holsberg wrote:

    > How about disabling the close button? And always use File > Exit!!- Hide quoted text -

    Would it not be possible to re-assign the [X] to do the same as File/
    Exit in the programming of Firefox?

    Btw, why does the Help/About Mozilla Firefox of the latest FF version
    say "1998-2008 Contributors"? Was version 3.0.9
    finished last year but not published until recently?

+ Reply to Thread