change the number of "recent pages" displayed in back/forwardnavigation buttons - Mozilla

This is a discussion on change the number of "recent pages" displayed in back/forwardnavigation buttons - Mozilla ; Hi all ! When I click on the little black triangle by the navigation buttons (I have the default theme) I see a list of recently visited pages (the one I'm on with bold letters). Now it would be really ...

  1. change the number of "recent pages" displayed in back/forwardnavigation buttons

    Hi all !
    When I click on the little black triangle by the navigation buttons (I
    have the default theme) I see a list of recently visited pages (the
    one I'm on with bold letters). Now it would be really helpful if more
    than the default 15 would be shown. I haven't found a way to do it or
    any helpful extension - is it possible at all ?

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: change the number of "recent pages" displayed in back/forwardnavigation buttons

    forgot to mention XP pro SP3, ff 3.0.8

    On Apr 22, 12:31*am, Mr_D wrote:
    > Hi all !
    > When I click on the little black triangle by the navigation buttons (I
    > have the default theme) I see a list of recently visited pages (the
    > one I'm on with bold letters). Now it would be really helpful if more
    > than the default 15 would be shown. I haven't found a way to do it or
    > any helpful extension - is it possible at all ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

  3. Re: change the number of "recent pages" displayed in back/forwardnavigation buttons

    On Apr 22, 12:44*am, David Pyles wrote:
    > On 4/21/2009 5:31 PM, Mr_D wrote:> Hi all !
    > > When I click on the little black triangle by the navigation buttons (I
    > > have the default theme) I see a list of recently visited pages (the
    > > one I'm on with bold letters). Now it would be really helpful if more
    > > than the default 15 would be shown. I haven't found a way to do it or
    > > any helpful extension - is it possible at all ?

    > > Thanks in advance

    > I don't think there is an extension for this, but you can change it in
    > your about:config settings.
    >
    > Type about:config in the URL bar, then acknowledge that you will be
    > careful. *In the Filter type maxRichResults. *Double click in the only
    > item that will be showing in the main window and increase the value to
    > something higher.
    >
    > Dave Pyles

    thanks a lot

    unfortunately this is for the address bar - while I am talking about
    the navigation buttons (back/forward buttons) - not able to find any
    config setting for that - any ideas ?

    thanks again

  4. Re: change the number of "recent pages" displayed in back/forwardnavigation buttons

    On Apr 22, 12:44*am, David Pyles wrote:
    > On 4/21/2009 5:31 PM, Mr_D wrote:> Hi all !
    > > When I click on the little black triangle by the navigation buttons (I
    > > have the default theme) I see a list of recently visited pages (the
    > > one I'm on with bold letters). Now it would be really helpful if more
    > > than the default 15 would be shown. I haven't found a way to do it or
    > > any helpful extension - is it possible at all ?

    > > Thanks in advance

    > I don't think there is an extension for this, but you can change it in
    > your about:config settings.
    >
    > Type about:config in the URL bar, then acknowledge that you will be
    > careful. *In the Filter type maxRichResults. *Double click in the only
    > item that will be showing in the main window and increase the value to
    > something higher.
    >
    > Dave Pyles

    thanks a lot

    unfortunately this is for the address bar - while I am talking about
    the navigation buttons (back/forward buttons) - not able to find any
    config setting for that - any ideas ?

    thanks again

  5. Re: change the number of "recent pages" displayed in back/forwardnavigation buttons

    On Apr 22, 12:44*am, David Pyles wrote:
    > On 4/21/2009 5:31 PM, Mr_D wrote:> Hi all !
    > > When I click on the little black triangle by the navigation buttons (I
    > > have the default theme) I see a list of recently visited pages (the
    > > one I'm on with bold letters). Now it would be really helpful if more
    > > than the default 15 would be shown. I haven't found a way to do it or
    > > any helpful extension - is it possible at all ?

    > > Thanks in advance

    > I don't think there is an extension for this, but you can change it in
    > your about:config settings.
    >
    > Type about:config in the URL bar, then acknowledge that you will be
    > careful. *In the Filter type maxRichResults. *Double click in the only
    > item that will be showing in the main window and increase the value to
    > something higher.
    >
    > Dave Pyles

    thanks a lot

    unfortunately this is for the address bar - while I am talking about
    the navigation buttons (back/forward buttons) - not able to find any
    config setting for that - any ideas ?

    thanks again

  6. Re: change the number of "recent pages" displayed in back/forwardnavigation buttons

    On Apr 21, 9:27*pm, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    > "Mr_D" *...
    >
    > > When I click on the little black triangle by the navigation buttons (I
    > > have the default theme) I see a list of recently visited pages (the
    > > one I'm on with bold letters). Now it would be really helpful if more
    > > than the default 15 would be shown. I haven't found a way to do it or
    > > any helpful extension - is it possible at all ?

    > You're right it does only display 15. * *I put in 40 and could go back all
    > the way to the first one. *If *you are putting all of your pages intoone
    > tab, you should be able to make good use of the the History sidebar (Ctrl+H)
    > Change the view on the sidebar *to *last visited and you will see allof
    > web pages visited in all tabs and windows from the latest at the top
    > going down with all of the entries for the past 90 days (default) or whatever *
    > you set in * Firefox 3, this can be changed via
    > *"Keep my history for at least ___ days" under "Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> History"
    >
    > --
    > HTH,
    > David McRitchie, * extensions I use are briefly documented on my site
    > Firefox Custom: *http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

    You can go back the 40 because the default is 50 and the associated
    preference is browser.sessionhistory.max_entries. I couldn't find any
    preference to modify how many are displayed (15) vs how many are
    retained (50). I simply went in about:config and searched for 15.
    Nothing matched that was applicable. Tried 14 just in case (14 + the
    current one), also nothing applicable was found. Doesn't seem to be
    managed via an existing preference. Not to say there may not be an
    undocumented preference that might do it. Also not sure if that would
    by something you could control through styles or not. Perhaps not,
    just thinking aloud.

    JB

  7. Re: change the number of "recent pages" displayed in back/forwardnavigation buttons

    On Apr 22, 4:27*am, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    > "Mr_D" *...
    >
    > > When I click on the little black triangle by the navigation buttons (I
    > > have the default theme) I see a list of recently visited pages (the
    > > one I'm on with bold letters). Now it would be really helpful if more
    > > than the default 15 would be shown. I haven't found a way to do it or
    > > any helpful extension - is it possible at all ?

    > You're right it does only display 15. * *I put in 40 and could go back all
    > the way to the first one. *If *you are putting all of your pages intoone
    > tab, you should be able to make good use of the the History sidebar (Ctrl+H)
    > Change the view on the sidebar *to *last visited and you will see allof
    > web pages visited in all tabs and windows from the latest at the top
    > going down with all of the entries for the past 90 days (default) or whatever *
    > you set in * Firefox 3, this can be changed via
    > *"Keep my history for at least ___ days" under "Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> History"
    >
    > --
    > HTH,
    > David McRitchie, * extensions I use are briefly documented on my site
    > Firefox Custom: *http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

    Thanks - what do you mean by "I put in 40" ?
    It seems more than 15 cannot be displayed - see msg by fox on the run
    Thanks for history bar tip -I 've set it to 999 and it takes a while
    to load

  8. Re: change the number of "recent pages" displayed in back/forwardnavigation buttons

    On Apr 22, 11:15*am, Fox on the run wrote:
    > On Apr 21, 9:27*pm, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    >

    > > "Mr_D" *...

    > > > When I click on the little black triangle by the navigation buttons (I
    > > > have the default theme) I see a list of recently visited pages (the
    > > > one I'm on with bold letters). Now it would be really helpful if more
    > > > than the default 15 would be shown. I haven't found a way to do it or
    > > > any helpful extension - is it possible at all ?

    > > You're right it does only display 15. * *I put in 40 and could go back all
    > > the way to the first one. *If *you are putting all of your pages into one
    > > tab, you should be able to make good use of the the History sidebar (Ctrl+H)
    > > Change the view on the sidebar *to *last visited and you will see all of
    > > web pages visited in all tabs and windows from the latest at the top
    > > going down with all of the entries for the past 90 days (default) or what ever *
    > > you set in * Firefox 3, this can be changed via
    > > *"Keep my history for at least ___ days" under "Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> History"

    > > --
    > > HTH,
    > > David McRitchie, * extensions I use are briefly documented on my site
    > > Firefox Custom: *http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

    > You can go back the 40 because the default is 50 and the associated
    > preference is browser.sessionhistory.max_entries. *I couldn't find any
    > preference to modify how many are displayed (15) vs how many are
    > retained (50). *I simply went in about:config and searched for 15.
    > Nothing matched that was applicable. *Tried 14 just in case (14 + the
    > current one), also nothing applicable was found. *Doesn't seem to be
    > managed via an existing preference. *Not to say there may not be an
    > undocumented preference that might do it. *Also not sure if that would
    > by something you could control through styles or not. *Perhaps not,
    > just thinking aloud.
    >
    > JB

    Thanks - I took similar steps - filtering for 15 (14 didn't occur to
    me)
    A featue request then

  9. Re: change the number of "recent pages" displayed in back/forwardnavigation buttons

    On Apr 22, 6:09*pm, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    > "Mr_D" wrote in messagenews:9e7d83f5-1a01-4a34-add3-e3364aa54b72@j18g2000yql.googlegroups.com...
    > > On Apr 22, 4:27 am, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    > >> "Mr_D" *...

    > >> You're right it does only display 15. * *I put in 40 and could go back all
    > >> the way to the first one. *If *you are putting all of your pages into one
    > >> tab, you should be able to make good use of the the History sidebar (Ctrl+H)
    > >> Change the view on the sidebar *to *last visited and you will see all of
    > >> web pages visited in all tabs and windows from the latest at the top
    > >> going down with all of the entries for the past 90 days (default) or what ever *
    > >> you set in * Firefox 3, this can be changed via
    > >> *"Keep my history for at least ___ days" under "Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> History"

    > > Thanks - what do you mean by "I put in 40" ?
    > > It seems more than 15 cannot be displayed - see msg by fox on the run
    > > Thanks for history bar tip -I 've set it to 999 and it takes a while
    > > to load

    > I meant I opened 40 web pages into one tab, *retested with over 50, andonly the
    > last 50 were retained as would be expected from *JB's reply. * My test page can be seen
    > at * *http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...pacity/001.htm
    >
    > I can't imagine that you would ever want to open 999 webpages into a single tab,
    > I'd say that was very excessive. * I personally try to keep the depth in tabs very
    > shallow (like 1 webpage per tab) that way if I *no longer need what I see then I close
    > the tab. *I can still see the icons with 120 tabs open with my styling changes, so
    > I don't see the point of wanting to go so deep into a single tab.
    > * *https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2108* * *Stylish extension
    > * *http://userstyles.org/styles/9043* * * * Tabs Bar Minimal Size
    > * *http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...sbar*(pictures)
    >
    > Possibly to see more than 15 you would just need a scrollable dropdown, *I looked
    > at userstyles.org *and did not find a scrollable back-forward button. *

    No, I meant 999 days of history lol

    Thanks very much for links and scrollable navigation bar idea, I still
    think 15 is very little - I'd like to be able to view ~30.

    Thanks indeed.

    Bye

  10. Re: change the number of "recent pages" displayed in back/forwardnavigation buttons

    On Apr 22, 6:09*pm, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    > "Mr_D" wrote in messagenews:9e7d83f5-1a01-4a34-add3-e3364aa54b72@j18g2000yql.googlegroups.com...
    > > On Apr 22, 4:27 am, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    > >> "Mr_D" *...

    > >> You're right it does only display 15. * *I put in 40 and could go back all
    > >> the way to the first one. *If *you are putting all of your pages into one
    > >> tab, you should be able to make good use of the the History sidebar (Ctrl+H)
    > >> Change the view on the sidebar *to *last visited and you will see all of
    > >> web pages visited in all tabs and windows from the latest at the top
    > >> going down with all of the entries for the past 90 days (default) or what ever *
    > >> you set in * Firefox 3, this can be changed via
    > >> *"Keep my history for at least ___ days" under "Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> History"

    > > Thanks - what do you mean by "I put in 40" ?
    > > It seems more than 15 cannot be displayed - see msg by fox on the run
    > > Thanks for history bar tip -I 've set it to 999 and it takes a while
    > > to load

    > I meant I opened 40 web pages into one tab, *retested with over 50, andonly the
    > last 50 were retained as would be expected from *JB's reply. * My test page can be seen
    > at * *http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...pacity/001.htm
    >
    > I can't imagine that you would ever want to open 999 webpages into a single tab,
    > I'd say that was very excessive. * I personally try to keep the depth in tabs very
    > shallow (like 1 webpage per tab) that way if I *no longer need what I see then I close
    > the tab. *I can still see the icons with 120 tabs open with my styling changes, so
    > I don't see the point of wanting to go so deep into a single tab.
    > * *https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2108* * *Stylish extension
    > * *http://userstyles.org/styles/9043* * * * Tabs Bar Minimal Size
    > * *http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...sbar*(pictures)
    >
    > Possibly to see more than 15 you would just need a scrollable dropdown, *I looked
    > at userstyles.org *and did not find a scrollable back-forward button. *

    No, I meant 999 days of history lol

    Thanks very much for links and scrollable navigation bar idea, I still
    think 15 is very little - I'd like to be able to view ~30.

    Thanks indeed.

    Bye

+ Reply to Thread