Occasionally unable to copy and paste - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Occasionally unable to copy and paste - Mozilla ; Hi, I'm on Windows XP. This happens very rarely so can't really give any clues as to the lead up to what causes it: Once it's started, I'm unable to copy text from anywhere within the browser window. Can't use ...

  1. Occasionally unable to copy and paste

    Hi,

    I'm on Windows XP.

    This happens very rarely so can't really give any clues as to the lead
    up to what causes it:

    Once it's started, I'm unable to copy text from anywhere within the
    browser window. Can't use "ctrl-c" and "right-click, copy" sometimes
    is and sometimes isn't greyed out (but still won't copy). If I try to
    copy, bring up say a text doc and try pasting, (ctrl-v or right click,
    select paste, if it's not greyed out) nothing is pasted.

    Cant highlight and copy text from the address bar, can't click and
    drag the address bar to the desktop (to create a shortcut).

    Copy and paste done entirely in other apps continues to work just
    fine.

    Closing and restarting firefox cures it.

    Not a big deal, just occasionally inconvenient.

    Cheers,
    Mark
    www.highton-ridley.co.uk art photography to twangle your emotions

  2. Re: Occasionally unable to copy and paste

    On Apr 21, 4:26*pm, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    > "Highton-Ridley"
    >

    > > This happens very rarely so can't really give any clues as to the lead
    > > up to what causes it:

    > > Once it's started, I'm unable to copy text from anywhere within the
    > > browser window. Can't use "ctrl-c" and "right-click, copy" sometimes
    > > is and sometimes isn't greyed out (but still won't copy). If I try to
    > > copy, bring up say a text doc and try pasting, (ctrl-v or right click,
    > > select paste, if it's not greyed out) nothing is pasted.

    > > Cant highlight and copy text from the address bar, can't click and
    > > drag the address bar to the desktop (to create a shortcut).

    > > Copy and paste done entirely in other apps continues to work just
    > > fine.

    > > Closing and restarting firefox cures it.

    > > Not a big deal, just occasionally inconvenient.

    > Probably the webpage deactivates selecting text. *You can
    > try the *"restore selecting" and/or "restore context menu" *bookmarklets.
    > *https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html
    > The bookmarklets are JavaScript so require JavaScript to be turned on
    > but if you turned off JavaScript the site would not be able to prevent
    > you from selecting text or using Firefox context menu.
    >
    > If not familiar with bookmarklets, see
    > * *https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/
    > * *http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/ie/bookmarklets.htm
    >
    > --
    > HTH,
    > David McRitchie, * extensions I use are briefly documented on my site
    > Firefox Custom: *http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm
    >
    > > *Mark
    > >www.highton-ridley.co.ukart photography to twangle your emotions

    Thanks for the reply.

    It's a good thought... but I don't think that either of your
    suggestions apply. I'm sure after shutting down firefox, then
    restarting and going to the same page, the problem doesn't re-assert
    itself.

    I've been convinced and then been proved wrong before, so I'll keep a
    more careful eye on things when it happens again.

    Cheers,
    Mark

+ Reply to Thread