how can I get a list of foo: protocols that work in Firefox? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on how can I get a list of foo: protocols that work in Firefox? - Mozilla ; I'm doing some messing around with security testing in Firefox and part of that is knowing all the different types of weirdly formatted URLs that Firefox might accept. For example besides http:// and https:// , you can have URLs beginning ...

  1. how can I get a list of foo: protocols that work in Firefox?

    I'm doing some messing around with security testing in Firefox and
    part of that is knowing all the different types of weirdly formatted
    URLs that Firefox might accept.

    For example besides http:// and https:// , you can have URLs beginning
    with jar: or file: or other even more obscure sequences. On the other
    hand, if you type abc://www.yahoo.com/ into the Firefox address bar
    you get "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the
    protocol (abc) isn't associated with any program."

    Is there a master list of all the character sequences you can have at
    the beginning of a Firefox URL in your address bar, before the ":",
    that *won't* give you the "Firefox doesn't know how to open this
    address" error?

    Bennett

  2. Re: how can I get a list of foo: protocols that work in Firefox?

    On Apr 15, 7:24*pm, Bennett Haselton wrote:
    > I'm doing some messing around with security testing in Firefox and
    > part of that is knowing all the different types of weirdly formatted
    > URLs that Firefox might accept.
    >
    > For example besides http:// and https:// , you can have URLs beginning
    > with jar: or file: or other even more obscure sequences. *On the other
    > hand, if you type abc://www.yahoo.com/into the Firefox address bar
    > you get "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the
    > protocol (abc) isn't associated with any program."
    >
    > Is there a master list of all the character sequences you can have at
    > the beginning of a Firefox URL in your address bar, before the ":",
    > that *won't* give you the "Firefox doesn't know how to open this
    > address" error?
    >
    > Bennett

    You can go to http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes.html and
    view the registered URI schemes.and their associated RFCs. Not quite
    what you are looking for, but at least it's a start as you have all
    possible URI schemes.

    JB

  3. Re: how can I get a list of foo: protocols that work in Firefox?

    On Apr 16, 3:03 am, Ralph Fox <-rf-...@-.invalid> wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:24:37 -0700 (PDT), in messagenews:97bdb6ed-79f9-4367-8f97-5f3adadbc2df@d38g2000prn.googlegroups.com
    >
    > Bennett Haselton wrote:

    > I will assume the question is about the Windows version of Firefox.
    > It would be useful if you told us which version of Firefox you were
    > asking about.

    Sorry, yes Windows.

    > > I'm doing some messing around with security testing in Firefox and
    > > part of that is knowing all the different types of weirdly formatted
    > > URLs that Firefox might accept.

    > > For example besides http:// and https:// , you can have URLs beginning
    > > with jar: or file: or other even more obscure sequences. On the other
    > > hand, if you type abc://www.yahoo.com/into the Firefox address bar
    > > you get "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the
    > > protocol (abc) isn't associated with any program."

    > > Is there a master list of all the character sequences you can have at
    > > the beginning of a Firefox URL in your address bar, before the ":",
    > > that *won't* give you the "Firefox doesn't know how to open this
    > > address" error?

    > Protocols which won't give you an error fall into two categories
    >
    > A. Protocols which Firefox handles internally
    >
    > B. Protocols which Firefox will hand off to some other application.
    >
    > For 'A'
    >
    > Go to about:config, and look for all of the preferences named
    > network.protocol-handler.external.* which are set to false.
    >
    > These are the protocols which Firefox will *not* try to hand off
    > to an external application. These can be further subdivided into
    > two categories
    > A.1 Those protocols which Firefox handles internally
    > A.2 Those protocols which Firefox does not handle, but which are
    > blocked for security reasons (for example, "vbscript").

    Thanks! This gave me some that I had forgotten about like data: and
    moz-icon:

    But then there are some listed there that don't seem to work, for
    example there's network.protocol-handler.external.afp and
    network.protocol-handler.external.disk but afp:// and disk:// both
    give "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address" etc. Is there
    any way to get those to work as protocols in the address bar, or do
    they correspond to something else?

    > I suggest you test these protocols one by one to find which ones
    > Firefox does handle internally.
    >
    > For 'B'
    >
    > There is no fixed list for this. It depends on which protocols
    > are registered with your operating system, and this varies from
    > computer to computer.
    >
    > First, find a list of protocols which are registered with your
    > operating system and which have a handler.

    This appears to be any sub-key under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT that has a
    string value named "URL Protocol", which seems to include most of the
    protocols that I know about.

    So this is helpful, thanks! But then there are some that Firefox
    understands like "view-source:" and "about:" which are not listed in
    the registry (no matches for the string "view-source" at all) or in
    the network.protocol-handler.external.* list. Are those examples of
    ones that are hard-coded into the source code, so the only way to find
    them is to look in the source code?

    > Then remove from this list
    > any protocols where Firefox has a preference
    > network.protocol-handler.external.* which is set to false.
    >
    > In addition, in recent versions of Firefox for Windows you should
    > also go to "Tools Options Applications" and check any of the
    > "content type" values which are actually protocols (such as mailto).
    >
    > For 'B' you can *not* use the list of preferences named
    > network.protocol-handler.external.* which are set to true.
    > Protocols may work when they are not listed, and protocols
    > listed may still not work.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Ralph