Re: FireFox History--Missing Recent Entry? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: FireFox History--Missing Recent Entry? - Mozilla ; On Mar 19, 7:54*am, "W. Watson" wrote: > Fox on the run wrote: > > > On Mar 18, 10:10 pm, Fox on the run wrote: > >> On Mar 18, 9:48 pm, "W. Watson" wrote: > > >>> I ...

  1. Re: FireFox History--Missing Recent Entry?

    On Mar 19, 7:54*am, "W. Watson" wrote:
    > Fox on the run wrote:

    > >> What version of Firefox? *Did you visit it normally or through IE tabs
    > >> or some other add-on feature? *Do you have privacy add-on perhaps to
    > >> temporarily suspend history (if so could it have been activated with a
    > >> hotkey by mistake)?

    > >> JB

    > > Another thought crossed my mind. *Do you have more than one profile in
    > > FF or did you visit in safe mode (intentionally or by accident)?

    > > JB

    > FF 3.0.7. I just press the icon on my desktop go use FF3. I do not use IE..
    > Privacy add-ons? Don't use any to my knowledge. I just browsed for Craig's
    > list via google, and finally wound my way to where I wanted. No trace of it.

    Is it possible that you ended up on Craig's list through a frame via
    another web site? For example if I use the search tool http://www.browsys.com/finder/
    which allows you to run a keyword search through any number of search
    engines (one by one without re-typing the search string - on a side
    note, very nice tool) and then run a keyword search using a search
    engine from that page that is not in my history, it will not show up
    under my history (neither the side bar nor via the Library window that
    opens up when you select Organize Bookmarks where you can also check
    out your browser history). However it still results in an entry in
    places.sqlite under moz_historyvisits, with browsys.com under
    "from_visit". Yet typing that search engine URL that opened in the
    frame into the address bar does not result in Firefox showing it to me
    as a suggestion.

    In probing that a bit deeper I notice that under moz_historyvisits
    that visit_type=4 for the search engine URLs opened via the frame of
    browsys.com. Others with visit_type=4 also do not appear to show up
    in the address bar as a suggestion. So Firefox is noting that
    activity in its history, but because it's via a frame it is not
    treating it the same way. Which in some ways makes sense because you
    could visit a page that has multiple frames for a number of other
    sites. You may have no interest in those embedded sites as you have
    no control over those. Given that, it would appear that Firefox
    concludes that because it was not a URL that you explicitly requested
    then it should not be suggested to you when you type in an address.
    Keeps things cleaner I guess and more relevant to your personal
    surfing habits.

    More testing will be required for me to make a more conclusive
    statement on that one.

    Sorry about all the extra info if you have no interest in it. I tend
    to verbalize things partially for my own benefit as well. So is that
    a possibility, that you visited it via a frame from another site?

    JB

  2. Re: FireFox History--Missing Recent Entry?

    On Mar 19, 9:36*am, "W. Watson" wrote:
    > Fox on the run wrote:

    > >> FF 3.0.7. I just press the icon on my desktop go use FF3. I do not useIE.
    > >> Privacy add-ons? Don't use any to my knowledge. I just browsed for Craig's
    > >> list via google, and finally wound my way to where I wanted. No trace of it.

    > > Is it possible that you ended up on Craig's list through a frame via
    > > another web site? *For example if I use the search toolhttp://www.browsys.com/finder/
    > > which allows you to run a keyword search through any number of search
    > > engines (one by one without re-typing the search string - on a side
    > > note, very nice tool) and then run a keyword search using a search
    > > engine from that page that is not in my history, it will not show up
    > > under my history (neither the side bar nor via the Library window that
    > > opens up when you select Organize Bookmarks where you can also check
    > > out your browser history). *However it still results in an entry in
    > > places.sqlite under moz_historyvisits, with browsys.com under
    > > "from_visit". *Yet typing that search engine URL that opened in the
    > > frame into the address bar does not result in Firefox showing it to me
    > > as a suggestion.

    > > In probing that a bit deeper I notice that under moz_historyvisits
    > > that visit_type=4 for the search engine URLs opened via the frame of
    > > browsys.com. *Others with visit_type=4 also do not appear to show up
    > > in the address bar as a suggestion. *So Firefox is noting that
    > > activity in its history, but because it's via a frame it is not
    > > treating it the same way. *Which in some ways makes sense because you
    > > could visit a page that has multiple frames for a number of other
    > > sites. *You may have no interest in those embedded sites as you have
    > > no control over those. *Given that, it would appear that Firefox
    > > concludes that because it was not a URL that you explicitly requested
    > > then it should not be suggested to you when you type in an address.
    > > Keeps things cleaner I guess and more relevant to your personal
    > > surfing habits.

    > > More testing will be required for me to make a more conclusive
    > > statement on that one.

    > > Sorry about all the extra info if you have no interest in it. *I tend
    > > to verbalize things partially for my own benefit as well. *So is that
    > > a possibility, that you visited it via a frame from another site?

    > > JB

    > I think I know what happened. Yes!! I was using SeaMonkey and not FF. I'm
    > making the transition from SM to FF, and have to bring up SM via the browser
    > to get to my mail. I see the history trail there for Craig's List. I'm
    > headed for Thunderbird next, which I believe I can use independently of a
    > browser, and will allow me to port my mail and newsgroups over. At least,I
    > hope so.
    >
    > Thanks for your help. Mystery solved.

    Excellent. It was all good because I learned something new in the
    process as well.

    JB.

+ Reply to Thread