use ip address instead od url - Mozilla

This is a discussion on use ip address instead od url - Mozilla ; I would like firefox to automatically always use ip address instead of url, like this: http://209.85.229.147/firefox?client...en-US:official instead of: http://www.google.com/firefox?client...en-US:official Is it possible? please tell me how, and don't ask me why...

  1. use ip address instead od url

    I would like firefox to automatically always use ip address instead of
    url, like this:

    http://209.85.229.147/firefox?client...en-US:official

    instead of:

    http://www.google.com/firefox?client...en-US:official

    Is it possible? please tell me how, and don't ask me why

  2. Re: use ip address instead od url

    On Mar 12, 5:41*am, orange wrote:
    > I would like firefox to automatically always use ip address instead of
    > url, like this:
    >
    > http://209.85.229.147/firefox?client...mozilla:en-US:....
    >
    > instead of:
    >
    > http://www.google.com/firefox?client...mozilla:en-US:....
    >
    > Is it possible? please tell me how, and don't ask me why

    As someone else suggested, I'd use your host file to accomplish that.
    With the understanding that as someone else pointed out if you are
    connecting to an IP that hosts multiple sites via virtual hosting,
    then your approach will cause you problems. Using the hosts file
    won't have the IP appear in the URL address bar, but it will have
    whatever you associate to that IP within your hosts file appear in the
    URL address bar.

    JB

  3. Re: use ip address instead od url

    but the problem is that I am forced to use http proxy, and can get
    through only if IP address is typed, modifying hosts file does not
    help.

  4. Re: use ip address instead od url

    On Mar 17, 10:11*am, orange wrote:
    > but the problem is that I am forced to use http proxy, and can get
    > through only if IP address is typed, modifying hosts file does not
    > help.

    That would have been good to mention up front, that you are going
    through a proxy server. Because whatever we do on the local machine
    may be of no value once it hits the proxy server. So the proxy server
    at your location requires that you use IP addresses to navigate? You
    cannot use any domain names at all? Is Firefox configured to use a
    proxy, or is the network set up such that all traffic goes through the
    proxy server? If only set through FF that is dealt with differently.

    So are you looking for a way where you type in a URL in the address
    bar but FF converts it to its IP for you and sends the IP through to
    the proxy server?

    If so I can't think of anything off hand. You could certainly ping
    URLs of interest in order to get their IP and then punch in the IP.
    But I realize that it would be tedious for you (but possibly your only
    choice).

    But again keeping in mind what was stated earlier. If you are trying
    to visit a server at an IP that is hosting multiple sites through
    virtual servers that server requires the URL to be sent through so it
    can serve up the corresponding page. Trying to access the IP directly
    will either return the default page on that server (which if so
    configured could be an error page).

    JB

  5. Re: use ip address instead od url

    On Mar 17, 6:41*pm, Fox on the run wrote:

    > may be of no value once it hits the proxy server. *So the proxy server
    > at your location requires that you use IP addresses to navigate? *You
    > cannot use any domain names at all? *Is Firefox configured to use a
    > proxy, or is the network set up such that all traffic goes through the
    > proxy server? *If only set through FF that is dealt with differently.

    no, I can use most domain names through proxy, but not the one I want.
    all http traffic on port 80 must go through proxy. all other ports are
    closed
    except those <1024 (but excluding 80).

    > So are you looking for a way where you type in a URL in the address
    > bar but FF converts it to its IP for you and sends the IP through to
    > the proxy server?

    exactly.

    > If so I can't think of anything off hand. *You could certainly ping
    > URLs of interest in order to get their IP and then punch in the IP.
    > But I realize that it would be tedious for you (but possibly your only
    > choice).

    that's how I found out it might be possible to bypass proxy.

    > But again keeping in mind what was stated earlier. *If you are trying
    > to visit a server at an IP that is hosting multiple sites through
    > virtual servers that server requires the URL to be sent through so it
    > can serve up the corresponding page. *Trying to access the IP directly
    > will either return the default page on that server (which if so
    > configured could be an error page).

    that seems to be the problem with this site I want..

+ Reply to Thread