Installation history of Firefox (& Thunderbird?) - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Installation history of Firefox (& Thunderbird?) - Mozilla ; Simple question: How do I find out when my Firefox versions were installed? Why I need to know: A problem occurred with a website last week. The website owner is now asking "What version of Firefox were you using?". It ...

  1. Installation history of Firefox (& Thunderbird?)

    Simple question: How do I find out when my Firefox versions were
    installed?

    Why I need to know: A problem occurred with a website last week. The
    website owner is now asking "What version of Firefox were you using?".
    It was around the time of the Firefox 3.0.4-5 upgrade so I don't know.
    I'm not a sysadmin with a meticulously maintained diary.

    What I suspect: The Mozilla team have included a way of tracking
    installed version history - independent of the underlying OS - so I
    don't have to learn how to ask the Windows registry or some other
    arcane bit of Redmond software about this.

  2. Re: Installation history of Firefox (& Thunderbird?)

    On Dec 23, 9:10*am, keith_nut...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > John Davies wrote:
    > > Simple question: How do I find out when my Firefox versions were
    > > installed?

    > > Why I need to know: A problem occurred with a website last week. The
    > > website owner is now asking "What version of Firefox were you using?".
    > > It was around the time of the Firefox 3.0.4-5 upgrade so I don't know.
    > > I'm not a sysadmin with a meticulously maintained diary.

    > > What I suspect: The Mozilla team have included a way of tracking
    > > installed version history - independent of the underlying OS - so I
    > > don't have to learn how to ask the Windows registry or some other
    > > arcane bit of Redmond software about this.

    > I have never needed the information but if you right click on the
    > Firefox icon and select Properties ---> "find target" *The "date
    > modified" for Firefox.exe and many of the associated files should be the
    > installation date for that version.
    >
    > If "date modified" does not show place the cursor in the heading Name
    > --> right click on the mouse --> and select "date modified"

    Check install.log under FF's install folder (for MS Windows XP,
    program files\mozilla firefox\install.log). The top has the beginning
    of the install, the bottom has the end date/time of the install.

    JB

  3. Re: Installation history of Firefox (& Thunderbird?)

    On Dec 23, 2:43*am, John Davies
    wrote:
    > Simple question: How do I find out when my Firefox versions were
    > installed?
    >
    > Why I need to know: A problem occurred with a website last week. The
    > website owner is now asking "What version of Firefox were you using?".
    > It was around the time of the Firefox 3.0.4-5 upgrade so I don't know.
    > I'm not a sysadmin with a meticulously maintained diary.
    >
    > What I suspect: The Mozilla team have included a way of tracking
    > installed version history - independent of the underlying OS - so I
    > don't have to learn how to ask the Windows registry or some other
    > arcane bit of Redmond software about this.

    Missed that you also needed updates. Updates are tracked in
    updates.xml found in a WinXP system under document & settings\{user}
    \local setting\application data\mozilla\firefox\mozilla firefox
    \updates.xml
    Important that you go to "local setting" first. There is a folder at
    that point in the folder hierarchy called application data. You don't
    want that one, but rather application data that is under local
    setting.

    JB

+ Reply to Thread